Blue Devils 2018

14 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

The show has good bones. Brass sounds great. I am loving seeing BD do more drill this year. Guard looked lackluster- but it looked like the wind was giving them a run for their money though. Enjoyed the first half much more than the second half. 

Just saw a Family Night video. Baaaaad news for the competition. I'm normally loath to watch preseason videos, and I've hated virtually every one of them that I've seen over the past 5-7 years. EVERY time, I'm nothing but impressed by the time they get to SoCal, so I won't push the panic button. Trust the staff. Nothing at all to panic about at this point, from my standpoint. It's the best they've looked and sounded at this juncture since 2014...thus the bad news for the competitors. I'll withhold any criticism and just keep it to myself. The program is in its infancy, and it's just skeletal right now. I think it could be a real powerhouse by the time they hit the Midwest. Looking good!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lance said:

mother of f'ing god, the simultaneous demand in this show. 

this will give 2012 and 2014 (my favorites BD shows ever) a run for their money for me. it's like those 2 shows had a baby with aretha franklin. 

Nononononononono....all they do is stand around. SMH.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I love what I saw...lots of nods to the '80s...however, those System Blue drums look and sound terrible! 

Whaaaaat? Those drums sound better than anything they have ever had! The finish is super cool and that drum set is WOWOWOW Zach is my new favorite drummer.

Wait until they get to play in a warm climate. Having been to every single family day ever, this was without a doubt the coldest ever. (coldest May and June I have ever seen)

• Like 3

FAM. 

This show is the truth.

First of all, Family Day happened to coincide with the surprise release of a Beyonce album, and that is like... one of the greatest omens I can think of. 

Secondly — I’m a BD diehard, they’re overall my favorite corps (despite having a lot of love for the competition), but Family Day shows during this current weirdo BD era usually leave me feeling the way you do after a close friend makes a shockingly stupid life decision — very “obviously I support you no matter what but are you sure about this???”

Actually, the joy of BD nowadays is watching every weird preseason skeleton show mature until it reaches that point in the season when it starts to really click. I like that they make shows that have to win me over. I see BC, Crown, SCV et al in the preseason and their potential is already 100% clear — whereas BD usually makes me scratch my head a bit  

Anyway, this year is in some ways no different — I don’t entirely know what’s going on. No one but the staff does. But the potential of this show is already very clear, to me. Brassline — this looks exhausting, godspeed. Guard — dirty, yes, but not disproportionately compared to everything else going on; also some of the wickedest dancing I’ve seen on a football field. 

etc etc. All the pieces are already here, and it’s only Family Day! 

Blue Devils 2018... June version.

• Like 1

I LOVE the overall show. The opener and 2nd movement are magical, drill and all. Love the guard work, just needs to be cleaned (obviously). I would love the ballad if the screamer guy wasn't hitting the same pitch 15 times in the span of 2 or 3 minutes. It got very monotonous very quick. I would not be mad at this show winning it. They are very talented,and I have to say say this is some of the best drill to come out of BD imo since 08/09. They are already my frontrunner for best visual come finals night. Simply spectacular. Guard should easily be too 3 as well, although I will say Crown is already looking to be on fire in this caption as well. The horn player in me also loved the duet moment. Great job by BD and I hope they have yet another fantastic season!

• Like 2