Blue Devils 2018

Still buzzing over last night. I think everyone will like BD's show. I don't know, it seemed more accessible then other shows, and they have some nice drill and are playing on the move a lot this year. It seemed, anyway. Guard book is great.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

I keep watching the ending they have in now its Amazing. I cant wait for the middle to be beefed up more, the show so good. I'm happy SCV won last night for two reasons, 1.It's good for scv to break that spell happy for them. 2. This will only light fire under BD tails and that means the fight in them will be ignited through out this season. Take nothing for granted.

• Like 2

If recent history is an indicator, BD didn't start to "learn" their closer until this past week. It seemed pretty obvious last night even to this untrained eye that there is are a lot of things to be filled into the show over the next 6 weeks. I haven't asked my Blue Devil, but I suspect their "organic approach" keeps things interesting for the corps, most of whom have marched several years of drum corps already. The constant adding of layer upon layer has to keep them on their toes and mentally checked in at every rehearsal. Can't wait to see it in Mesa next week. 

Edited by desertrat68
  • Like 1

On June 23, 2018 at 2:13 PM, Cappybara said:

Just finished up my first year of dental school yesterday. I've had literally no time to keep up with drum corps. Still got a good amount of studying to do this summer but hopefully I'll be able to be around DCP a bit more 

Dental school? Okay, now you're on my list. Just had my wisdom teeth out. All of you dentists can burn in hell. ;)

• Haha 1

The music is the Blue Devils show is a perfect match to the painting their show is based on. You can almost hear it when you look at the picture. The guard this year is incredible.

That said, SCV looks fantastic, too. Something tells me there is more than meets the eye under those clunky white uniforms. There is nothing better than seeing the Blue Devils and the Vanguard duke it out for a championship. This year may not only depend on winning caption, but by how much in each. A big spread in one caption could be the difference between 1 and 2. What a great season.

My Gosh! i just watch a clip of Bd performance in Sacramento, it was electrifying! they seem to making their stomp on 2018, putting them FOOT down firmly, I AM IN LOVE with the show. i literally felt chills, and i wasn't getting that blue devils chills i normally get with them, last two shows, but i really JUST felt it from Sacramento. Santa Clara is very good right up their, But i am calling it from now, i am that confident even though it's very very early, THIS IS #19 for Blue Devils

they are chasing no one, but one's being chased after!!!!!!!

Edited by theonlyfizzle
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, desertrat68 said:

If recent history is an indicator, BD didn't start to "learn" their closer until this past week. It seemed pretty obvious last night even to this untrained eye that there is are a lot of things to be filled into the show over the next 6 weeks. I haven't asked my Blue Devil, but I suspect their "organic approach" keeps things interesting for the corps, most of whom have marched several years of drum corps already. The constant adding of layer upon layer has to keep them on their toes and mentally checked in at every rehearsal. Can't wait to see it in Mesa next week. 

They employ a very different process than we would have used in the past. Back when I marched, they'd come out with the drill sheets and teach you the drill. You'd learn it, then clean it. Jay and crew "block" ideas onto the field, similar to the way a choreographer would build something onstage. Once the ideas are located "in the vicinity", then they start detailing the hows, whats and connecting ideas. They will add layers of movement and content on top as they work sections of the show. The actual placement of bodies eventually gets formalized (some time in mid-July for everything), and then they can get down to cleaning. By that time, most things are focused pretty well so there isn't much to be done. Staff will continually tweak and update small chunks of show, and if there is a "final" ending, they'll plug that in as late as Buffalo. When will their show be "done"? Could be as late as the day before semis, as it was in '15. The process does keep things fresh, and it does require that the kids absorb, learn, clean and perform changes on a rapid basis.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2018 at 7:38 AM, BDCorno said:

They employ a very different process than we would have used in the past. Back when I marched, they'd come out with the drill sheets and teach you the drill. You'd learn it, then clean it. Jay and crew "block" ideas onto the field, similar to the way a choreographer would build something onstage. Once the ideas are located "in the vicinity", then they start detailing the hows, whats and connecting ideas. They will add layers of movement and content on top as they work sections of the show. The actual placement of bodies eventually gets formalized (some time in mid-July for everything), and then they can get down to cleaning. By that time, most things are focused pretty well so there isn't much to be done. Staff will continually tweak and update small chunks of show, and if there is a "final" ending, they'll plug that in as late as Buffalo. When will their show be "done"? Could be as late as the day before semis, as it was in '15. The process does keep things fresh, and it does require that the kids absorb, learn, clean and perform changes on a rapid basis.

Back in the Jurassic Period, Jack Meehan told us a story about "finishing" a show. He saw a PBS program (this was back when you were more of a nerd if you watched PBS) about an Indonesian man who carved elaborate wooden doors. The interviewer asked him how he knew when a door was finished. He said "When they take it away from me". In other words, the show is never done, they just run out of opportunities to further perfect it.

• Like 3