Blue Devils 2018

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I more meant in terms of the potential of each show—BD’s winning now, and of course I’m not mad about that, but I’m also excited for SCV to give them a run for their money. 

I get ya. I'm excited too. Just like the old days, when I marched. Steel sharpening steel. It only makes both groups better, and that's good for DCI.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Anyone know what BD’s been looking like/up to this week? :146_bow:

Doing their normal routine. They're pretty methodical about it. Most of the show is blocked in before Stanford weekend. They usually "start tour" midweek before Stanford. They'll typically do a once through of the program, refining and focusing ideas. Also time for the first real cleaning to occur. I'd say this is a time of year when they improve about a point a day. The difference in the BD of DCI West and the SoCal swing BD is pretty dramatic. They'll normally push 80 by Riverside. Tomorrow (Friday) is a System Blue camp. It doesn't really interfere too much with the schedule, but a ton of kids descend on Grand Terrace HS to get some instruction and rub elbows with the corps. The BD kids are really fantastic about it. I'd say for new members, this is the weekend they really start feeling like Blue Devils. The Riverside show on Sunday is a de facto second "home show". Lots of RCC connex and many alumni attend the weekend shows, and there is some alumni/member hype in the lot at Riverside. We usually don't attend the show (the stadium is really poor seating), and opt for the lot. BD allow the alumni to walk with the corps to the gate, and hang on the track for the performance. After the show, goodbyes for everyone and they pull out and off the West Coast for the summer. Bittersweet, but such a great atmosphere for alumni and member alike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I can let you know tomorrow night. Will be at BD's rehearsal. 

I'm gonna try to make it. Working in PHX, driving home tomorrow nite. May go directly to the rehearsal.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

I'm gonna try to make it. Working in PHX, driving home tomorrow nite. May go directly to the rehearsal.

I probaly won't get there till close to 2100. Gotta pickup my son from high school band practice at 2015. Blue Knights are housing at his school this week. Vista Murrieta High school.

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

I probaly won't get there till close to 2100. Gotta pickup my son from high school band practice at 2015. Blue Knights are housing at his school this week. Vista Murrieta High school.

I'll be there at about the same time. If I'm lucky I'll get back by 1930, grab some dinner on the way up and make it by run throughs. Sadly, wanted to check out BK but being out of town, and with the alumni hang taking me away early Saturday, I won't have a chance. I'm sure all the usual suspects will be at GT to watch tomorrow. See ya there.

• Like 1

Finally got a chance to really listen to the percussion arrangements for this show. As usual, scojo is swinging for the fences. The book they're playing is outrageously difficult.  They could break out the hose on that book and increase their drum score by a couple tenths overnight, but that's not really their style.

Then, also as usual, the visual demands on the Drumline are much harder than what anybody else is doing by a factor of 5.   Love that about BD's Drumline. They always go for broke.

• Like 3

BD show is still the show to beat this year, way better design, the more i watch the top tier. 

• Like 1

Just saw the show for the first time.  Loved it and it will only get better. 

One thing I truly appreciate about BD is how they manage to keep a traditional look, e.g. shakos/plumes & sashes while still embracing the more contemporary free-flowing uni styles.  It's a hybrid look and it works.

• Like 3

Just got to BDs rehearsal. Wow. As always watching the show online does it no justice. Must be seen live! Great crowd turnout as well. 

• Like 3