Blue Devils 2018

If you wanna check out a BD rehearsal for yesterday, go to the drum corps reddit. 

Seems like they’ve added a new voiceover in the glass breaking guard feature and made a few changes in the ballad musically 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Seems like they’ve added a new voiceover in the glass breaking guard feature and made a few changes in the ballad musically 

It's an Aretha-sounding singer doing a few phrases of "Natural Woman" with pauses in between. I like it. It definitely helps the transition between the fight and the ballad and it reminds me of something you would see in a movie where a slow-moving, emotional song might be superimposed over a very dramatic action scene.

There must be plans to add quite a bit more to last part of the show, as it still seems the buildup there with the drums goes on and on and kills the energy a bit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NakedEye said:

It's an Aretha-sounding singer doing a few phrases of "Natural Woman" with pauses in between. I like it. It definitely helps the transition between the fight and the ballad and it reminds me of something you would see in a movie where a slow-moving, emotional song might be superimposed over a very dramatic action scene.

There must be plans to add quite a bit more to last part of the show, as it still seems the buildup there with the drums goes on and on and kills the energy a bit.

It's going to be a long process as they solidify and dial in all the effects and intent of the show. Anyone who would count out BD, based on their show this time of year, does so at their peril. The process of building their show is methodical, well planned and executed. So many times in the past few years (INK was a perfect example), have sat there at midseason wondering if they'd fix this or that. "In BD staff we trust" should be the motto. SCV has the momentum, sympathetic "crowd favorite" status and corps to win it all, but they're not going down without a fight from the Blue Crew. They're going to need a high powered ending to combat/compete with Metropolis 1927's finish...which might be the modern equivalent of Rocky Point, when it comes to closers.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Incredible production quality as always 

If anyone thinks a BD show is “boring” and “easy” and don’t understand why it was a championship show, they should watch these videos and they’ll get an idea. 

The level of detail and subtle/hidden difficulty is incredible. I know nothing about percussion but it was pretty enlightening to have that drum break in the 2nd section broken down, I did not realize all the little working parts that were happening as well as the way the snares have to interact with the marimbas during the break

This show is going to be something else

Thanks for sharing, I wasn’t aware they are making these videos. I have to catch up! Being out east I never see BD until the end of the season and I really enjoy the detail and difficulty of their shows! 

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Den8uml said:

Thanks for sharing, I wasn’t aware they are making these videos. I have to catch up! Being out east I never see BD until the end of the season and I really enjoy the detail and difficulty of their shows! 

I wasn't the one who shared the video, but I do highly recommend you watch them all through the course of the season! You'll have newfound appreciation for the whole process

1 hour ago, BDCorno said:

It's going to be a long process as they solidify and dial in all the effects and intent of the show. Anyone who would count out BD, based on their show this time of year, does so at their peril. The process of building their show is methodical, well planned and executed. So many times in the past few years (INK was a perfect example), have sat there at midseason wondering if they'd fix this or that. "In BD staff we trust" should be the motto. SCV has the momentum, sympathetic "crowd favorite" status and corps to win it all, but they're not going down without a fight from the Blue Crew. They're going to need a high powered ending to combat/compete with Metropolis 1927's finish...which might be the modern equivalent of Rocky Point, when it comes to closers.

Chandler said something cryptic in one of the videos relating to the guy who works behind the counter at the diner, to the effect of, "a lot more will be revealed about him." So, one might assume they are keeping something under their hats that will pull a lot of the concept together at the end of the season.

I think the BD show has a lot more potential for added surprises than the SCV show does so far. This finals week has all the makings of one for the ages.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Chandler said something cryptic in one of the videos relating to the guy who works behind the counter at the diner, to the effect of, "a lot more will be revealed about him." So, one might assume they are keeping something under their hats that will pull a lot of the concept together at the end of the season.

I think the BD show has a lot more potential for added surprises than the SCV show does so far. This finals week has all the makings of one for the ages.

Agreed. That's why i found it so funny after the first couple shows some people were saying SCV doesn't have a finished show. Neither does BD. In fact no one has a complete show. All corps will make changes and layer as the season progresses. Funny how some fans think their corps is the only one that will improve while everyone else will stay stagnate. But i guess whatever helps them sleep better at night or get a bunch of likes in the bottom right hand corner of their post lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Geez they are in 6th place :tongue:  :winky:

The heck with the placement.......i can't wait to congratulate BD on being the sixth corps to break 80! Whatever that means since all the top corps break 80 every year lol.

• Like 1