Blue Devils 2018

1 minute ago, NakedEye said:

As the program stands currently, I think they have two excellent shows. Number 1 is the opener through the ballad, and the "Laura" reprise to the end. Number 2 is the chanting/drumming/drill from the end of the ballad to the "Laura" reprise. Each time the ballad finishes and the next part begins, I feel like I'm resetting and watching something new, that is very cool, but has a totally different feel from everything leading up to it. I'm very interested to see how they explain that part or how they change it to feel more a part of the cohesive whole. It obviously has a purpose, but the clarity is not there right now, and there is a real opportunity to add significant GE in this section.

The threat from Bluecoats is they are crystal clear in intent from beginning to end. I saw it live last night and it is expertly designed. SCV I'm less sure of. They have significant portions that seem like extraneous fireworks to me.

Over the next month, the winner may be determined by who fine-tunes their message the best.

SCV might have an issue with that since they can't understand each other's language... :tongue:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, NakedEye said:

The threat from Bluecoats is they are crystal clear in intent from beginning to end. I saw it live last night and it is expertly designed. SCV I'm less sure of. They have significant portions that seem like extraneous fireworks to me.

I have the opposite opinion. I don't think Bluecoats show is that great. I think they are going to end up in 4th, behind Cavies, SCV and BD. I think SCV has the best designed show. It's innovative, fresh, exciting and something we haven't seen before. The top corps can all execute at championship level. I think SCV has the design that's going to appeal most to the judges and push them to 1st. I think BD is just too darn good to finish lower than 2nd, and I think Cavies have a killer show. I think right now BD and SCV would both beat Bluecoats head-to-head, which means Cavies are right there with Bloo. We'll see though. It's going to be an exciting finish.

• Like 5

I was really blown away at Bluecoats on video last night. I really felt something from them. Energy wise it seemed like BAC was more on fire I guess but bloo was just so polished. I love the contemporary style of SCV but I really love Jazz. I do not really care for singing but that young lady is a pure gem. If BD can get the kitchen sink put together by Indy they have potential to upset just like 15. Cavies. I would love to see them in there too but I think 4th will be their spot this year. I really really like Cadets this year. I hope they do well.

10 minutes ago, flammaster said:

I was really blown away at Bluecoats on video last night. I really felt something from them. Energy wise it seemed like BAC was more on fire I guess but bloo was just so polished. I love the contemporary style of SCV but I really love Jazz. I do not really care for singing but that young lady is a pure gem. If BD can get the kitchen sink put together by Indy they have potential to upset just like 15. Cavies. I would love to see them in there too but I think 4th will be their spot this year. I really really like Cadets this year. I hope they do well.

What are all you people smoking? If Cavies end up ahead of BAC, I'll eat my hat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

What are all you people smoking? If Cavies end up ahead of BAC, I'll eat my hat. 

Dohhh! I don't know though. Cavies clean very well. I would rather see BAC but hmmm you're right I totally forgot about them.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

The only thing I would like to respectfully take exception with what you said is the “innovative” part.  I’m curious as to why you feel they have been so innovative (and more so than any other corps).

Ecellent performers, fantastic design, and as of late, more fan-friendly - but what makes them so innovative (i.e putting things out on the field that no other corps has ever done)?

I brought this same topic up in a separate thread a while back, and I learned a lot from the responses.

To me, I trace what BD is doing today in their approach to show design back to 2012 and Cabaret Voltaire.  That show was controversial at the time.  I recall not enjoying it at all the first time I saw it because they just had a lot of problems putting it together early season.  But by the end of the season I loved that show.  They broke the norms with their approach to uniforms, hats, staging, movement/marching, they sync'd the show to prerecorded audio, etc.  They simply ignored the norms and to me that was the first year that a corps did a show that just didn't look in any way like a traditional drum corps show.  They simply threw the old book out that year and have continued that way ever since.  I remember at the time (there's a post out here in somewhere from me that year) saying that this would be the future of drum corps and I would argue that today many of the corps followed the lead of BD.  The Bluecoats have completely embraced this approach and oh BTW they seem to ranked #1 right now.  This years Vanguard show throws the old book out in a lot of the same ways BD did and they seem to be about #2.  I would argue (someone may get upset) that Vanguard is having newfound success by doing what BD and Bluecoats started doing a few years ago.

Some people don't like this new approach and I have to say that I still love listening to and watching older traditional shows.  Vanguard's Phantom and Madison's A Day in the Life of a Bull Fighter are two shows I can't listen to enough.  But progress is inevitable and it's a huge treat to me to watch how these modern designers create shows in this very organic way - much the way choreographers choreograph modern dance - and manage to do it for 154 people.  It gives each performer a story line and the performers these days are doing so many more things than they had to do in say the 80's.  We sometimes hear this knock that BD doesn't march so much.  Well, I've watched this show and it's ridiculously difficult by any standard.  All three of these top corps are doing less old style marching and a whole ton of other stuff.  I enjoy it and by all measures the corps members seem to love it.  So, I see a lot of innovation over the past few years and the entire activity has benefited from it IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I have the opposite opinion. I don't think Bluecoats show is that great. I think they are going to end up in 4th, behind Cavies, SCV and BD. I think SCV has the best designed show. It's innovative, fresh, exciting and something we haven't seen before. The top corps can all execute at championship level. I think SCV has the design that's going to appeal most to the judges and push them to 1st. I think BD is just too darn good to finish lower than 2nd, and I think Cavies have a killer show. I think right now BD and SCV would both beat Bluecoats head-to-head, which means Cavies are right there with Bloo. We'll see though. It's going to be an exciting finish.

I can’t believe SCV aged out as many members as they did and came back with this show. It’s an incredible display and an amazing musical book. And I really love the uniforms. The year of the mellos is being led by SCV, and they are a joy to hear. Amazing show. Truly shocking how difficult so much of their book is, from beginning to end. 

Conceptually, Bluecoats is the most cohesive and polished show, and is a blast to watch and listen to. Unlike last year, they have mastered the flow and evolution of the program and they have a unique concept that is being performed at the highest level. They are leading the pack for a good reason, they have no weaknesses and they have the best show concept. Still my pick to win the gold, but won’t be surprised if SCV takes it.

Boston and Cavaliers are polishing and moving up, and both corps know what they want to do and do it well. In the end I suspect Boston will emerge because their guard and percussion are amazing. I’ve not been a fan of the Cavaliers’ show designs in the least three years but there is no doubt it is working. They push the limit with guard and march their butts off. Boston, though, has the better talent and especially percussion, and I won’t be shocked if Boston takes bronze.

BD always has the oldest and most experinced corps, and therefore they can polish and layer better than anyone. That said, of the top six shows this show concept lacks any wow moments (even the ballad is underwhelming and feels tagged on). There are cool moments, esp the drum taking, but why is that there? Unlike the Tempest show, I don’t really know what the story line is and the drill doesn’t give me any milestones. I have loved the last couple of BD shows, but this one has no there there. History and technical skill likely keeps them in the medals, but watch out for Boston.

Crown has the most recognizable brass sound as usual, but like BD this show seems to lack purpose or concept. The props do nothing for the show, they could lose them all and it wouldn’t matter. I love listening to Crown but the show just doesn’t feel like it has a pace or purpose. The entire last third of the show is flat. Crown isn’t going away, but I sense this could be the year they fall to the bottom of the top group. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I can’t believe SCV aged out as many members as they did and came back with this show. It’s an incredible display and an amazing musical book. And I really love the uniforms. The year of the mellos is being led by SCV, and they are a joy to hear. Amazing show. Truly shocking how difficult so much of their book is, from beginning to end. 

Conceptually, Bluecoats is the most cohesive and polished show, and is a blast to watch and listen to. Unlike last year, they have mastered the flow and evolution of the program and they have a unique concept that is being performed at the highest level. They are leading the pack for a good reason, they have no weaknesses and they have the best show concept. Still my pick to win the gold, but won’t be surprised if SCV takes it.

Boston and Cavaliers are polishing and moving up, and both corps know what they want to do and do it well. In the end I suspect Boston will emerge because their guard and percussion are amazing. I’ve not been a fan of the Cavaliers’ show designs in the least three years but there is no doubt it is working. They push the limit with guard and march their butts off. Boston, though, has the better talent and especially percussion, and I won’t be shocked if Boston takes bronze.

BD always has the oldest and most experinced corps, and therefore they can polish and layer better than anyone. That said, of the top six shows this show concept lacks any wow moments (even the ballad is underwhelming and feels tagged on). There are cool moments, esp the drum taking, but why is that there? Unlike the Tempest show, I don’t really know what the story line is and the drill doesn’t give me any milestones. I have loved the last couple of BD shows, but this one has no there there. History and technical skill likely keeps them in the medals, but watch out for Boston.

Crown has the most recognizable brass sound as usual, but like BD this show seems to lack purpose or concept. The props do nothing for the show, they could lose them all and it wouldn’t matter. I love listening to Crown but the show just doesn’t feel like it has a pace or purpose. The entire last third of the show is flat. Crown isn’t going away, but I sense this could be the year they fall to the bottom of the top group. 

Gotta disagree with you on most recognizable hornline. I have to give those honors to BD. No corps has the soprano-leaning balance that they do, it’s a pure jazz sound. Crown takes a much more traditional pyramid approach to balance that many other corps use, the only difference is that Crown reaches more clarity than other corps do. 

Also, the storyline in this BD show is still being fleshed out, but I’d watch the latest BD360 if you want a quick and dirty explanation of what’s going on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1