Blue Devils 2018

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Oh man people are gonna go even crazier about BD “recycling” things 

Ikr, But guess what, let them talk all they want.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Box5Opinion said:

The season is not over yet! But I would like your thoughts after the season is over! I like to dissect and have an autopsy of the year and just add my two cents to the discussion.

Just a note, I spoke to a former BD Member at a recent show. They said that it was only they're unbiased opinion, but once SCV adds their new closer...the season will most likely be done. I couldn't believe it. They just thought the Gaines routine was too "cutting edge" not to garner the admiration of several panels. 

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

According to a reddit comment from a former MM, BD completely revamped the closer. This person even stated they’re using different source music entirely?? Can anyone corroborate this? 

Actually they've rethought the entire show and are rehashing A Don Ellis Portrait for its 25th anniversary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Actually they've rethought the entire show and are rehashing A Don Ellis Portrait for its 25th anniversary.

I’d be up for that!

Starting to sound real good!

Interesting tidbit, on the website above, there are a few recordings from yesterday or the day before and they all omit the closer. Hmmm

• Like 4

That ballad is just so good! I’m digging the support the trombonist and trumpet get from the rest of the line during the bridge. It’s “messy” in all the right ways! It’s like a stew simmering in the background. And it’s ready to be served right at the repeating tag before the final chorus. Never heard arranging like this before in drum corps. Well done!

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DCIDADDIO said:

Just a note, I spoke to a former BD Member at a recent show. They said that it was only they're unbiased opinion, but once SCV adds their new closer...the season will most likely be done. I couldn't believe it. They just thought the Gaines routine was too "cutting edge" not to garner the admiration of several panels. 

Let's evaluate their respective products on the final day of the season. I'm not convinced this BD staff, who knows how to close better than anyone, isn't about to inject some serious octane into the show.

They had to be aware that the current closer is letting the air out of the balloon, so I can't wait to see how they have tinkered with it.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, BD 79-82 said:

There's an interesting vid posted on yewtoob 2 days ago of BD rehearsing part of the opener with no props / sets on the field. Cool to see the drill with out the sets.   title is Blue Devils 2018 Opener - WHS

I Saw it and it was really good to watch, just the raw drill and music alone..