Blue Devils 2018

On 8/1/2018 at 9:22 PM, NakedEye said:

This is random. I was watching this from Fantastic Beasts and , well at 3:40 when the scene gets to Jacob's bakery, you will hear something familiar...

James Newton Howard is listed in their source material, but I had no idea this is where that segment came from!

Don’t you love when this happens? Especially when your first encounter with the music really was drum corps. 

Like when I finally got around to watching that old french musical, Umbrellas of Cherbourg (so good!), and recognized “I Will Wait For You” (BD’s 2008 ballad, which most people probably know from Futurama). Genuinely heartbreaking in the movie, btw. 

Similarly, just a month ago, I finally watched the Coen bros movie Hudsucker Proxy, which HEAVILY uses “Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia” from Khachaturian’s Spartacus — PR’s 08 ballad. I got emotional! 

(This is why I appreciate that some corps, like BD, have a strong educational mission, and an investment in the arts, beyond just competition. They’re teaching us a lot!)

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 6

yes the drum corps idiom has gotten me to research music and art styles. Thanks to corps like SCV and PR I really explored classical and contemporary music. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mboogey73 said:

They have a shot at gold if they can pull that off.

They have to achieve at least a virtual stalemate in GE and brass. That's a tough mountain to climb, but it can be done.

1 hour ago, BDCorno said:

They have to achieve at least a virtual stalemate in GE and brass. That's a tough mountain to climb, but it can be done.

i was thinking the same....

1 minute ago, theonlyfizzle said:

i was thinking the same....

Yep. GE is king with the current system. You either have to win it, or be pretty #### close if you want to shot at a ring. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

Yep. GE is king with the current system. You either have to win it, or be pretty #### close if you want to shot at a ring. 

Yeah definitely. The last two match up with top three seem to have boost a bit in general effect if I am wrong correct me. But I am really praying the final changes or additions will give the show that significant general effect boost along other improvements esp in music. and clean clean clean... and I believe the gold will be theirs.

5 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Yeah definitely. The last two match up with top three seem to have boost a bit in general effect if I am wrong correct me. But I am really praying the final changes or additions will give the show that significant general effect boost along other improvements esp in music. and clean clean clean... and I believe the gold will be theirs.

One can only hope. Not sure what it feels like...2016 or 2015. Hoping for the latter lol. Same type of situation....BD are the underdogs with a very young corps. But they could surprise. That was one sweet victory.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

One can only hope. Not sure what it feels like...2016 or 2015. Hoping for the latter lol. Same type of situation....BD are the underdogs with a very young corps. But they could surprise. That was one sweet victory.

true true.. lol i hope so too.... for a young corp they are really impressive, even though i can say BD having a young corps over the past years always do greatly same, it's impressive

28 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

true true.. lol i hope so too.... for a young corp they are really impressive, even though i can say BD having a young corps over the past years always do greatly same, it's impressive

What amazes me is how well the percussion are doing, with only 3 veterans out of 17 battery members.

• Like 2