Blue Devils 2018

9 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

What amazes me is how well the percussion are doing, with only 3 veterans out of 17 battery members.

like Woooooooow! only three vets.. remarkable.

few hours from now lets see what the show looks like.

Edited by theonlyfizzle

2 hours ago, BDCorno said:

Yep. GE is king with the current system. You either have to win it, or be pretty #### close if you want to shot at a ring. 

Indeed.

BD needs to come out of the GE and Visual captions with lead of at least .2 to have a shot imo.

Gotta hope Brass will close the gap significantly.

Edited by mboogey73
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theonlyfizzle said:

like Woooooooow! only three vets.. remarkable.

few hours from now lets see what the show looks like.

I was watching them warmup last week and I was amazed at how few faces I had seen from the past. In fact, the only one I recognized was Brandon Olander. I had to go to the Roster on the BD app to see if there were any other vets. I can't remember a year where there were so few. Did they have a lot of age outs or just guys that did not return?

10 minutes ago, FinanceBuzz said:

I was watching them warmup last week and I was amazed at how few faces I had seen from the past. In fact, the only one I recognized was Brandon Olander. I had to go to the Roster on the BD app to see if there were any other vets. I can't remember a year where there were so few. Did they have a lot of age outs or just guys that did not return?

Yeap, young fresh faces. I am not sure on how many age outs they had but, it seems like alot. Guess that question should be directed to BDCorno or Flammaster They might able to answer, since they may know more about that .

Edited by theonlyfizzle

28 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Yeap, young fresh faces. I am not sure on how many age outs they had but, it seems like alot. Guess that question should be directed to BDCorno or Flammaster They might able to answer, since they may know more about that .

Brass line:

trumpets 13-8-3-0

mellos 13-2-1-0

euphs 15-4-5-0

tubas 6-4-1-1

TOTAL:

47 rookies

18 2nd year

10 3rd year

1 4th year

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Even when you think you have some sense of the difficulty they are attempting, then you see the detailed explanations and it seems exponentially harder and more impressive.

That blind cartwheel to catch a sabre thrown by someone else is the stuff of nightmares!  :spitting:

• Like 2

Rest of the corps:

color guard 22-13-6-3

battery 14-2-0-1

Pit 6-2-5-0

drum majors 0-1-1-0-1

BD corps totals:

89 rookies

36 2nd year

22 3rd year

5 4th year 

1 5th year (head drum major)

Edited by BDCorno

So as you can see, it’s a very veteran unit with the guard.  Smart show theme, leaning on the strength and experience there. CC (Chris, the head drum major) is a lonely guy.  I sort of know the feeling, in my ageout year in 1980, I was the senior member of the horn line by two years. Only one left from the first two title runs.  Have to say, it is a testament to the staff and to the kids that they’re running this strong with 60% rookies. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NakedEye said:

Even when you think you have some sense of the difficulty they are attempting, then you see the detailed explanations and it seems exponentially harder and more impressive.

That blind cartwheel to catch a sabre thrown by someone else is the stuff of nightmares!  :spitting:

That is a very cool video--one of the most useful ones I've seen from any corps. More groups should do this! And I would love to see someone who really knows percussion or guard explain--and here I'm thinking of the Atlanta scores--what makes SCV's percussion 0.05 better still, or what Bluecoats' guard isn't doing that BD's is that gives the latter group a .1 advantage. Could Bloo's guard add just one something that would put them in the same class? Could the Devils' percussion tweak just half of something that would get them to match Vanguard?

Favorite line: "We're trying to do it without duts". Yay!

• Like 1