Blue Devils 2018

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That is a very cool video--one of the most useful ones I've seen from any corps. More groups should do this! And I would love to see someone who really knows percussion or guard explain--and here I'm thinking of the Atlanta scores--what makes SCV's percussion 0.05 better still, or what Bluecoats' guard isn't doing that BD's is that gives the latter group a .1 advantage. Could Bloo's guard add just one something that would put them in the same class? Could the Devils' percussion tweak just half of something that would get them to match Vanguard?

Favorite line: "We're trying to do it without duts". Yay!

Agreed!

47 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

Brass line:

trumpets 13-8-3-0

mellos 13-2-1-0

euphs 15-4-5-0

tubas 6-4-1-1

TOTAL:

47 rookies

18 2nd year

10 3rd year

1 4th year

35 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

Rest of the corps:

color guard 22-13-6-3

battery 15-2-0-1

Pit 6-2-5-0

drum majors 0-1-1-0-1

BD corps totals:

90 rookies

36 2nd year

22 3rd year

5 4th year 

1 5th year (head drum major)

Thank you BDCorno.. that's a lot of rookies

In response to @WarriorWay's post this is BD's full repertoire:

• City Noir by John Adams
  • Metropolis 1927 by Peter Graham (very short samples)
  • Blade Hawks by Simon Dobson
  • Night Runner by Paul Lovatt-Cooper
  • Gotham City by Dave Glyde
  • Jacob's Bakery from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by James Newton Howard
  • Natural Woman by Carole King
  • Laura from Laura by David Raksin
  • Harlem Nocturne by Earle Hagen
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Even when you think you have some sense of the difficulty they are attempting, then you see the detailed explanations and it seems exponentially harder and more impressive.

That blind cartwheel to catch a sabre thrown by someone else is the stuff of nightmares!  :spitting:

IMO Out of the top 3, BD show is way more difficult  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Thank you BDCorno.. that's a lot of rookies

But should the BD rookies really be considered rookies?  How many of these “rookies” come with experience from another top corps?  How many of these are true rookies to drum corps?

The term “rookie” these days doesn’t mean the same as it used to, so drawing conclusions from the number of rookies in a corps really doesn’t mean much IMHO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That is a very cool video--one of the most useful ones I've seen from any corps. More groups should do this! And I would love to see someone who really knows percussion or guard explain--and here I'm thinking of the Atlanta scores--what makes SCV's percussion 0.05 better still, or what Bluecoats' guard isn't doing that BD's is that gives the latter group a .1 advantage. Could Bloo's guard add just one something that would put them in the same class? Could the Devils' percussion tweak just half of something that would get them to match Vanguard?

Favorite line: "We're trying to do it without duts". Yay!

Have you watched the prior videos in the series this season? Each part of the show is explained in this manner. They really help you notice details you might have otherwise missed.

One segment remaining - the closer. Likely before the action starts in Indy. I’m interested to see what they say about the major music change. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

But should the BD rookies really be considered rookies?  How many of these “rookies” come with experience from another top corps?  How many of these are true rookies to drum corps?

The term “rookie” these days doesn’t mean the same as it used to, so drawing conclusions from the number of rookies in a corps really doesn’t mean much IMHO.

Of course the term "rookie" means something a lot different than say, back in my day...but it's pretty much the same for all the top groups. Experience with another corps (or band, for that matter) isn't a bad thing, but it's hardly a panacea. Having the tools and capabilities to win an audition is one thing, but it doesn't prepare you for the kinds of things you'll be asked to do. I thought this BD360 video was pretty good, and reflected the challenges facing new members:

• Thanks 2

Crazy section after the company front is looking SO GOOD. I just love how much more detail you can see now that it's cleaner and the designers' intentions are more legible. It's just everything I want in drill: full of surprises (those folds suddenly collapsing down into blocks is just a stunning moment), and they're playing the entire time and hauling tail. And to have such precise horn staging on top of it! Easily the visual highlight of the year for me, probably tied with another BD moment: the snake during the smoky noir section. 

I love SCV this year, truly, and I'd be emotional if they won. But in terms of visual ingenuity, BD's got them beat big time.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, gabe211 said:

In response to @WarriorWay's post this is BD's full repertoire:

• City Noir by John Adams
  • Metropolis 1927 by Peter Graham (very short samples)
  • Blade Hawks by Simon Dobson
  • Night Runner by Paul Lovatt-Cooper
  • Gotham City by Dave Glyde
  • Jacob's Bakery from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by James Newton Howard
  • Natural Woman by Carole King
  • Laura from Laura by David Raksin
  • Harlem Nocturne by Earle Hagen

You’re missing Smooth Criminal