Blue Devils 2018

17 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Interesting you say that, because BD's shows are often described as visual over-stimulation  (which I think is true, there's a lot going on all at once sometimes!). Perhaps SCV's show this year could be described as leading to musical rather than visual fatigue? 

I honestly love both of them for different reasons, but I definitely do find myself going back to BD's music over and over. There's something about the purposely disjointed nature of the show that makes each musical feature pop more 

This is where GE becomes a personal choice...I find the disjointed nature too fragmented and the transitions are just long enough to make me lose interest.  Each moment is good enough to stand on their own merit but the whole show is not working together the way it should be.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dmb4040 said:

Does anyone know where their horns are warming up?  I was looking last night in the park and only saw their drumline.   Any help would be appreciated.  

I’m not sure, but last year they warmed up at IUPUI’s stadium and it was open to the public.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Extremely puzzling guard scores last night. It is what it is. Still love this show. 

End the season strong Devils, finish in the top 2 for the umpteenth year in a row and get ready for your undefeated season next year!!

Granted I only watched multicam and could very well have missed the errors. But yeah, I have maybe 6 or so “problem areas” that I always watch for with BD because they’ve struggled with them all season, and last night, they nailed them all. Every single one. Is this how it felt to be a Carolina Crown guard honk all those years?! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Granted I only watched multicam and could very well have missed the errors. But yeah, I have maybe 6 or so “problem areas” that I always watch for with BD because they’ve struggled with them all season, and last night, they nailed them all. Every single one. Is this how it felt to be a Carolina Crown guard honk all those years?! 

Actually! I take it back — one thing was still a mess. In the crazy section after the company front. The flagline during those syncopated notes toward the end — everyone’s still not on the same page about where the flag should be on each beat. But other than that! 

6 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I thought they were much stronger than Thursday. Being neck and neck with Boston is completely understandable. Below SCV and Bloo? No. They are good, but don’t have the same depth.

If any caption is the next candidate for two judges, it should be guard. There have been wild and bizarre swings in the opinions from night to night all season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Extremely puzzling guard scores last night. It is what it is. Still love this show. 

End the season strong Devils, finish in the top 2 for the umpteenth year in a row and get ready for your undefeated season next year!!

Definitely didn't deserve 4th last night... below bloo and scv hell no. you ever heard the saying that says you can't keep a good man down ? well no matter how they try BD you never stays down.

34 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Definitely didn't deserve 4th last night... below bloo and scv hell no. you ever heard the saying that says you can't keep a good man down ? well no matter how they try BD you never stays down.

I'm honestly not feeling too great about BD staying in 2nd tonight, but I do feel pretty good about BD having a good guard performance and score 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm honestly not feeling too great about BD staying in 2nd tonight, but I do feel pretty good about BD having a good guard performance and score 

I know the feeling and it is possible they might not stay in 2nd, even if it do happen i really wouldn't feel in no type of way about it, i'm still proud of the show and the quality they bring every year, i'll be happy the same. Because you know why, as much hate and bad criticizing they've gotten year in and out in spite how great and awesome their shows are, Blue Devils is still the holder of unmatched records of excellence. There is a quote that said, "you win some you lose some", but i will rephrase that in my own words for BD, 'You win most, you lose a few lol'. There's no rising without a fall (even though it's not really a fall), there's no Up without being Down and it is a delight that BD not winning gold this year, is to a really great corps (Santa Clara Vanguard) with great and remarkable history in drum corps they deserve it, and it's overdue. However i do think they'll hold on to 2nd.

• Like 2