Blue Devils 2018

My first post in the BD thread!

I know this will probably sound vague but I was watching BD at semifinals and I was really impressed by the brass chords they we're playing. They were big impact sustained notes that they were changing Dynamics with. It was probably mid-show. I thought it was a really cool effect and haven't heard anything like it. 

Does anyone know what the chords were?

Hey all, now that the season is over I thought I'd share what they were playing with back in March/April while they were still developing the show. Interesting to hear what was used and later cut. Personally, I wish they extended the Laura piece like you'll hear below. You can also hear how some of the Metropolis 1927 piece still survived after many rewrites.

Edited by gabe211
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, gabe211 said:

Hey all, now that the season is over I thought I'd share what they were playing with back in March/April while they were still developing the show. Interesting to hear what was used and later cut. Personally, I wish they extended the Laura piece like you'll hear below. You can also hear how some of the Metropolis 1927 piece still survived after many rewrites.

That metropolis section in the show was probably one of my favorite moments this year. So high energy and the drill was nuts! 

16 hours ago, gabe211 said:

That unused snippet is really cool. Do you know what that was from?

Just an observation which leads to a question:  BD wore very little blue in their get-up, almost nothing if any.  At times they have worn grey uniforms and black uniforms. Any correlation to what color they are wearing when they win and when they do not?  (This should keep Cappybara and others busy for awhile. :-p)

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

That metropolis section in the show was probably one of my favorite moments this year. So high energy and the drill was nuts! 

I would like to see them end on a real high energy note next year. They have been doing "glorious warm and fuzzy wrap-ups" since at least 2014 and I think they leave some crowd frenzy on the table a bit. The finale this year was moving and very appropriate to what they were doing with the painting, but it allowed for a pretty truncated applause moment. It's been a while since they have done an intense finish, so maybe time for that?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I would like to see them end on a real high energy note next year. They have been doing "glorious warm and fuzzy wrap-ups" since at least 2014 and I think they leave some crowd frenzy on the table a bit. The finale this year was moving and very appropriate to what they were doing with the painting, but it allowed for a pretty truncated applause moment. It's been a while since they have done an intense finish, so maybe time for that?

The ending to Constantly Risking Absurdity is one of my favorites. The beat my heart skipped was great too

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gabe211 said:

Finally listened to the original version of Metropolis 1927 yesterday.  Honestly, the middle section would have been perfect for BD's ballad this year - it has a very warm "Hollywood jazz" type of sound without being stereotypically swing-ey.

Mike

Paying tribute to The Queen of Soul. RIP Aretha Franklin. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, NakedEye said:

Agreed. There seemed to be a bit of audience confusion once the painting was complete, and then the appearance of the mute trumpeter in the window cut-out for the final soft ending. 

• Like 1