Blue Devils 2018

Fell in love with BD’s show last night. I may be late coming to the party, but we just figured out what this show was about. 

I knew it was about the Nighthawks painting, BUT my epiphany was BD starts the show with the characters in real life before ending the show with them In the finished painting. 

What an incredible story design! 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I love this show and like the new ending, especially the mood created with the guy playing through the window.

What does it mean when she stands in the door and looks back at the people outside?

Personally, I think she is saying good bye, the story is over, as she goes into the painting?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I love this show and like the new ending, especially the mood created with the guy playing through the window.

What does it mean when she stands in the door and looks back at the people outside?

I think that the staff wanted the characters in the painting to acknowledge the corps just as the corps is watching and admiring the painting/characters 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Saw the show at the theater and there were some audio issues on the cinecast with BD and SCV. But seeing those two corps head to head for my first time this season... I enjoyed BD's show more. I guess I would describe Vanguard's show as overwhelming... exceptionally well-performed, no question... but Blue Devils' show, for me, was more fun, and obviously also well-performed.

It sucks that the audio was subpar... we could not really hear some of the stuff that came through loud and clear when we watched BD rehearse last week.

Interesting you say that, because BD's shows are often described as visual over-stimulation  (which I think is true, there's a lot going on all at once sometimes!). Perhaps SCV's show this year could be described as leading to musical rather than visual fatigue? 

I honestly love both of them for different reasons, but I definitely do find myself going back to BD's music over and over. There's something about the purposely disjointed nature of the show that makes each musical feature pop more 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, NakedEye said:

That feature they do is fun, but it's nowhere near as exposed. What BD is doing is insane. They are literally spread 100 yards (with the auditory and timing challenges that presents) and it starts out of nowhere with a bang and then never lets up. The slightest timing error on just one section of it and you are behind for the whole thing. 

Even how they start is high risk. The end of the pole is resting on the ground in front of them and they are loosely holding the tip by the silk, with their arms at their sides. On the first count they have to flip it up from the tip to catch it in exactly the right spot and then it is off to the races. The work doesn't look tremendously complicated from a distance, but there was a warmup video (I think on Flo) that shows the detail and it's nuts. Tons of technical hand-to-hand changes, plane switches and body work, plus fast-to-slow-to-fast sections where they have to precisely control the energy to not blow through the slow part.

I thought one of the most interesting things TJ said on the broadcast was how she feels it is her responsibility to not dumb down the work Scott writes. That she manages to clean that stuff undoubtedly takes secret magic powers.

Yes to all of this. 

I’d only add: the props! BD loves putting props on the field that make it impossible for everyone in the guard to really see each other. So not only are there audio and timing issues as you point out, but the sight lines are screwy. This was true of the Shakepeare show, too. And Scott hasn't written easier work with that stuff in mind, either. On its own, its a tough feature. Add the other details, and its a wonder its clean at all.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2

I was watching a practice run online, and uhhh, is it just me, or is that NOT Michael Jackson’s voice during “Smooth criminal”...? It’s definitely not him in the practice vid.  

11 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

So not only are there audio and timing issues as you point out, but the sight lines are screwy. This was true of the Shakepeare show, too.

Now that show was probably the height of the insanity, where they had to stick their hands THROUGH the prop to spin the flag blind, and also exchange it to someone else as I recall. It was just barely sorta clean by Finals, but they refused to give up on getting it right.

• Like 2

Extremely puzzling guard scores last night. It is what it is. Still love this show. 

End the season strong Devils, finish in the top 2 for the umpteenth year in a row and get ready for your undefeated season next year!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1