Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

Well... There are those shows where there is a singer... singing... a song... with accompaniment.  It's NOT that.

Then there are those shows where there is a vocalist... vocalizing... disruptive gibberish... or poetic gobbledygook.  It's NOT that either.

It's like the electronics thing, and the way that Bloo handles it compared to everyone else...

PERFECTLY.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Watching some bootleg videos coming out this morning. The theater recording did NOT do Bloo justice. This show is clearly a winner this year.

• Like 4

Uniforms this year are definitely a step up from last year’s 

• Like 3

They're playing great, I love the arrangements. I don't quite get the visual package, but I'm not a vis guy so that's out of caption for me, so to speak. I get a very BD-esque vibe from the show.

More pertinent,  in my opinion, is that the show doesn't appeal to my personal tastes in terms of continuity of design. I appreciate the tunes, but I can't really see a cohesive thread throughout that ties it all together. I'm sure the show will grow on me, as it did last year, but I get the feeling that this will not be one of my favorites.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, pudding said:

continuity of design. I appreciate the tunes, but I can't really see a cohesive thread throughout that ties it all together. 

Watching a bootleg video I also felt the transitions were rather incohesive.  I do get the feel of going from set to set or place to place in a studio where something totally different is going on in each place with hustle and bustle and a rehearsal all in between but I don't know if that's right.

4 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I do get the feel of going from set to set or place to place in a studio where something totally different is going on in each place with hustle and bustle and a rehearsal all in between but I don't know if that's right.

It's almost as if the show is performed from the perspective of the performer!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, superOOk said:

It's almost as if the show is performed from the perspective of the performer!

Yes.

I like the fake out hit at the end, it sets the tone "this is not a typical show with the typical beats you might expect."

That being said, it does require more of the viewer - similar to what I experience listening to a jazz show. I agree that the transitions may need more of a thematic hook or just more substance.

My ears (and eyes) also kind of want Jaco Pastorius in the Mingus tune going crazy with 16th notes in front of everything. Maybe in Bizarro DCI.

I love how they really featured their mellophones! I was flipping out how many times I could hear them having a melody! And not that much screaming trumpet too! The low trumpet solo is VERY nice and I loved listening to it. The singer is ok. I get it for the jazz theme, so I'm not that mad at it. Love her voice and costuming.

• Like 2

Just saw a video. clearly the better hornline! I Think the vocals is intended to be background as if someone left the radio on. if it is turned down it would be really effective.  thank you for playing some out jazz!

• Like 2