Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I don’t think people hate the Devils, they just like seeing corps get rewarded for being the crowd favorite. It’s human nature to want the underdog to win.

Yeah the issue is that people conflate GE with how often a show gets a crowd off their feet. GE certainly can lead to those type of moments, but DCI has shown that there’s much more to it than that 

• Like 1

Steering back on the topic of Bloo, their brass seems to be scoring mighty close to Crown!

They got a higher content score tonight and that too from a pretty well respected judge (Mr. Dillon)! Obviously haven’t seen the two shows live but from the recordings I’ve heard, I can’t say I disagree with that assessment. A lot of nuance and cool things going on in Bloo’s book this year as usual. So happy to see Bloo doing old school jazz!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Steering back on the topic of Bloo, their brass seems to be scoring mighty close to Crown!

They got a higher content score tonight and that too from a pretty well respected judge (Mr. Dillon)! Obviously haven’t seen the two shows live but from the recordings I’ve heard, I can’t say I disagree with that assessment. A lot of nuance and cool things going on in Bloo’s book this year as usual. So happy to see Bloo doing old school jazz!

Not only that... But their proficiency score is underperforming their content score.  This is a good sign for the future.  Whereas the Crown equation, while very slightly ahead in total, has their proficiency outperforming their content... with Bluecoats (as you pointed out) leading in that area.

I guess the message is: It's probably better to be second overall with that balance than to be first with the opposite at such an early stage.

You can only perfect a second place design so much... until your first place finish may have to become second place.  It's not a perfect logic, but it's a strategy that design teams and caption heads live by.

If the brass scores start creeping up like they are look out everyone else

• Like 2

RIP Bill Watrous, the featured soloist in the original recording of Patrick Williams' "An American Concerto" which the Bluecoats are using this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Not only that... But their proficiency score is underperforming their content score.  This is a good sign for the future.  Whereas the Crown equation, while very slightly ahead in total, has their proficiency outperforming their content... with Bluecoats (as you pointed out) leading in that area.

I guess the message is: It's probably better to be second overall with that balance than to be first with the opposite at such an early stage.

You can only perfect a second place design so much... until your first place finish may have to become second place.  It's not a perfect logic, but it's a strategy that design teams and caption heads live by.

Yeah, outperforming the book this early is at least a little concerning.

But it's one judge on one night, so it's worth waiting to see if a trend develops.

Edited by geluf

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

RIP Bill Watrous, the featured soloist in the original recording of Patrick Williams' "An American Concerto" which the Bluecoats are using this year.

He played that great solo in Tiger of San Pedro, too.  ( A nod to my Guardsmen BITD.) 

Edited by Terri Schehr

6 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Well the content and achievement marks change all the time, so I wouldn't put too much weight in those. Bloo's gotta get that percussion score up, because if Crown starts topping in them in visual and GE it's a done deal.

2 hours ago, geluf said:

Yeah, outperforming the book this early is at least a little concerning.

But it's one judge on one night, so it's worth waiting to see if a trend develops.

It's not though. People put too much weight in the content and achievement scores, and the spread between them. They change all the time. You could score higher in achievement tonight and tomorrow score lower in achievement. I never put weight into those elements, because it's useless really.

42 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well the content and achievement marks change all the time, so I wouldn't put too much weight in those. Bloo's gotta get that percussion score up, because if Crown starts topping in them in visual and GE it's a done deal.

I think this is astute. If I understand correctly: If Crown keeps ahead in percussion, passes Bloo in Visual, passes Bloo in GE ... bloo is in trouble.

But on the other hand, Crown's only championship was won with 6th place in percussion.

Lot's of what-ifs.

Edited by mingusmonk