Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

33 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

I think this is astute. If I understand correctly: If Crown keeps ahead in percussion, passes Bloo in Visual, passes Bloo in GE ... bloo is in trouble.

But on the other hand, Crown's only championship was won with 6th place in percussion.

Lot's of what-ifs.

You are right, but Crown was running on all cylinders that year, except for percussion. You could also say percussion cost them the title in 2012 (huge possibly here) and 2015. Music captions bleed into GE, so it's hard to win GE Music (or 1 or 2 or whatever it is now) when you are suffering in a caption, although it can be done. Bloo will be fine though. I'm not worried about them. I think they'll place 2nd or 3rd at finals (behind SCV and maybe BD).

I’m really not worried about Bloo’s percussion. The staff has a very good history of adjusting / cleaning.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

You are right, but Crown was running on all cylinders that year, except for percussion. You could also say percussion cost them the title in 2012 (huge possibly here) and 2015. Music captions bleed into GE, so it's hard to win GE Music (or 1 or 2 or whatever it is now) when you are suffering in a caption, although it can be done. Bloo will be fine though. I'm not worried about them. I think they'll place 2nd or 3rd at finals (behind SCV and maybe BD).

In my opinion, the 6th place percussion this year is going to be WAY stronger than the 6th place percussion that Crown had when they won back in 2013.  I don't see Bloo's percussion as a weakness, at all.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well the content and achievement marks change all the time, so I wouldn't put too much weight in those. Bloo's gotta get that percussion score up, because if Crown starts topping in them in visual and GE it's a done deal.

They are no more in danger of being topped in those areas than Crown is of being topped in percussion.

Blecoats are being chased... But they are running really hard without much sign of fatigue, especially in GE.

Edit: this discussion only relates to Bloo and Crown.  We have absolutely no clue how either of these groups match up to BD and SCV... Except to say that Bloo is consistently leading in points country-wide, night to night... so far.  That little truth doesn't count for much, but it certainly doesn't count for nothing either.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

I think this is astute. If I understand correctly: If Crown keeps ahead in percussion, passes Bloo in Visual, passes Bloo in GE ... bloo is in trouble.

But on the other hand, Crown's only championship was won with 6th place in percussion.

Lot's of what-ifs.

Crown isn’t finishing ahead of Bluecoats , SCV or Bd in visual. They can be extremely proficient but their show currently isn’t in the same league as these three. Crown will always compete for the Ott, and they are always going to be strong in visual in general, but the top three shows this year are really special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

They are no more in danger of being topped in those areas than Crown is of being topped in percussion.

Blecoats are being chased... But they are running really hard without much sign of fatigue, especially in GE.

Edit: this discussion only relates to Bloo and Crown.  We have absolutely no clue how either of these groups match up to BD and SCV... Except to say that Bloo is consistently leading in points country-wide, night to night... so far.  That little truth doesn't count for much, but it certainly doesn't count for nothing either.

Fair enough, but Bloo was consistently leading in points country-wide last year too. Sometimes on the same night they were outscoring BD and SCV by over two points. Then looked what happened. I see a Bloo corps that from an execution standpoint is pretty darn even to where they were at this time last year, but I see a much better product this year. If I had to guess, I'd say Bloo is probably right up there with SCV and BD.

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

It's not though. People put too much weight in the content and achievement scores, and the spread between them. They change all the time. You could score higher in achievement tonight and tomorrow score lower in achievement. I never put weight into those elements, because it's useless really.

A judge putting your achievement above your content is sending you a message.  That's a conscious choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geluf said:

A judge putting your achievement above your content is sending you a message.  That's a conscious choice.

And the only time you want to have that occur is on Saturday night in Indy.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

And the only time you want to have that occur is on Saturday night in Indy.

More or less.

As I said, it's one judge on one night, so you can't say it's a trend, it's just mildly noteworthy until it happens again.

• Thanks 1