Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

11 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

Agree. I have been humming it a lot-did see /hear it a few times prior to it infecting the part of my brain where music gets stuck on repeat.

And that's what I was trying to get at. It's an INCREDIBLE show, it just took me, and I imagine most others, a few tries to get all the way into it. Similar to BD the last ten years or SCV the last two, the music book is simply too complex to be super approachable and audience friendly on a first read. Don't get me wrong, the aforementioned corps and now Bloo have shows chockfull of baby-tossing moments and I listen to the shows on repeat as often as I can; they're just too layered musically to grasp it all at once. And that's wonderful!! Not a bad thing at all (in fact, again, I applaud the massive challenge they're giving their performers with the difficulty of this music book)...all I mean to say was that this year's design is a break from the last 4 years of Bloo shows that sear themselves musically into the memory after a first watch. And hey, move forward or get passed, right? We've NEVER known Bloo to stand still for even a minute, and this year is turning out to be a well-crafted next step in their evolution. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, NCWVUFAN said:

SCV is very strong, I agree, and may just win it all in august. Just the talk of Bloo not being in the running from some fans chanting SCV and BD then whoever for the bronze is a bit shortsighted.

BD is the gold standard of DCI. Their 6 championships in the past decade tell you as much (wrap your mind around that, 6 years out of 10! And 7 in the past 11). They deserve the benefit of the doubt more than any other corps. If SCV is beating BD by almost a point, then SCV must be really good. So it should not come as a shock that people are currently slotting the Bluecoats in at 3rd. If those people (including me) turn out to be wrong, then so be it. But I really don’t think those people are being unreasonable at all right now. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

BD is the gold standard of DCI. Their 7 championships in the past decade tell you as much (wrap your mind around that, 7 years out of 10!). They deserve the benefit of the doubt more than any other corps. If SCV is beating BD by almost a point, then SCV must be really good. So it should not come as a shock that people are currently slotting the Bluecoats in at 3rd. If those people (including me) turn out to be wrong, then so be it. But I really don’t think those people are being unreasonable at all right now. 

Yeah, they have been tough as of late. When I started marching in the early eighties, BD was THE corps. Scoring changed in 83 and the Cadets took BD to the woodshed for 2 decades, then Cavies took everyone to the woodshed in the 2000's. Things change, good luck to BD, but I think BD has to re-invent themselves, their show designs have become stale, SCV, Bloo, and Crown have freshened the DCI landscape.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

Yeah, they have been tough as of late. When I started marching in the early eighties, BD was THE corps. Scoring changed in 83 and the Cadets took BD to the woodshed for 2 decades, then Cavies took everyone to the woodshed in the 2000's. Things change, good luck to BD, but I think BD has to re-invent themselves, their show designs have become stale, SCV, Bloo, and Crown have freshened the DCI landscape.

Yes, the corps that just won a championship last year is getting stale :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Winning isn't everything, BD has failed to be the crowd favorite for many years. Last year it was SCV, Bloo in 16, Crown in 15, Bloo again in 14....even with BD having a record score that year. BD designs shows to the scorecard, not to be inovative, entertain, or wow the crowd. What BD does better than anyone is teach those kids how to look and carry themselves on the field, amazing, every year.

2 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

I can agree with you about SOME of BDs shows, BUT 2017 was anything but stale.  It's my favorite BD show ever.  So far I don't think 2018 is its equal, but I've also learned not to judge BD until I see/hear it live.

I don’t find BD to be stale at all. I just find them to be predictable. Same with Crown. All corps have their style. Knights have theirs, Cadets have had theirs. Bluecoats are definitely carving out theirs. SCV has been consistent for decades and now they are turning the corner.

The level of playing and performing now in dci is just scary, it blows my mind that kids can do any of this stuff. Even those that don’t make finals.

There are countless reasons to Love BD. Not just from what they do on the field, but even moreso off. They are the best and most professional organization in dci, and its not even arguable.

The shift to a dramatic direction in general has opened up the creative floodgates. Now we have so many different styles and directions and the shows have become shows. Not just expositions in complexity.

For me, I honor corps and programs that are elite in complexity and proficiency, and equally elite in arranging and performance/emotion. For me, the corps that is getting this better than anyone is Bluecoats. I think we will look back in 20 years and recognize this six year span for Bluecoats as the changing of the guard. Not just to Bluecoats, but to a new way of doing drum corps. For that, I give the group in Akron the exact same kudos I’ve given Blue Devils for over a decade. It’s a new day, a Bloo day. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

I can agree with you about SOME of BDs shows, BUT 2017 was anything but stale.  It's my favorite BD show ever.  So far I don't think 2018 is its equal, but I've also learned not to judge BD until I see/hear it live.

This IS the Bluecoats thread...but I agree 2017 was one of my favorite all time BD shows BUT 15 and 16 were SOSDD and 18 appears to be more of the same for BD...but like you I will reserve judgement until I see it live.

As for the comparisons...I find the style of Bluecoats jazz musically to be much closer to 70s and 80s drum corps (of course with some added flash and music tech) than modern day BD. That's what I loved so much about the jagged line... I thought it was the closest I would ever get to seeing that stuff live.

The addition of the trombone adds so much to the style too.

Edited by ThePlanets