Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

1 minute ago, pudding said:

I thought that Crown 2013 used vocals quite well, although I'm also a huge fan of Einstein on the Beach, so the bits that might have sounded like out-of-place narration to an unfamiliar listener made perfect sense to me. 

I thought it was fine until it got to the ballad at which all I could do was cringe

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I thought it was fine until it got to the ballad at which all I could do was cringe

I think that a lot of people reacted the same way. But, those words were lifted straight out of the original opera, and I thought that the arrangement was incredibly appropriate and supported them perfectly. 

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Which leads to my point: enunciation.

Here are the lyrics as used in Bluecoats' show; the bold indicates lyrics that aren't coming through very clearly, with notes in italics and brackets:

"I'm down to a roll of dimes

I'm stalking the slot that's hot  [sounds like "I'm stoking the slope that's hope" -- no that doesn't make any sense, which is my point]

I keep hearing bells all around me

Jingling in the lucky jackpots  [sounds like "Jingling" without the "in"]

They keep you tantalized

They keep you reaching for your wallet

Here in fools' paradise!

He got three oranges

Three lemons  [unintelligible, but guessable from context]

Three cherries

Three plums

I'm losing my taste for fruit  [unintelligible]

Watching the dry cleaner do it

Like Midas in a polyester suit

It's all luck!  [sounds like "Heat's"]

It's just luck!

You get a little lucky and you make a little money!

[scat singing] 

It's all luck!

It's just luck!

I went through a roll of dimes.

[scat singing]

It's just luck!"

I'm just noting this as you might point out any element you'd like to see improved; I'm sure they'll work on this as the season progresses.

Proving we all hear things differently...I really have no trouble understanding her lyrics, but it probably helps that I know the song.   Her enunciation is actually quite strong...and complimented by those that write down the numbers :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Proving we all hear things differently...I really have no trouble understanding her lyrics, but it probably helps that I know the song.   Her enunciation is actually quite strong...and complimented by those that write down the numbers :-)

Fair enough. I'd never heard the song before the DCI cinema show last month. I subsequently listened to several different recordings of Bluecoats performing it this year, and when  I still couldn't understand what she was saying (in the lines I highlighted), I looked up a Joni MItchell recording and the lyrics.

Probably the judges, like you, also know the song and thus are mentally filling in the gaps. But I do believe the gaps are really there.

The back half of session 44 will never get old. Wow. Can't wait to see it live.

Congratulations to Bloo on staying ahead of the rest of the east pack. The top 6 look extra close this year.  Very competitive and exciting. Big night with first head to head of BD and Cavies in Minnesota.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Blooooo! GE, Visual and Guard tonight! Undefeated! 

I see Crown got them in brass and they dropped back behind the Cadets in percussion...which probably means 7th overall in percussion.

Boston sneaking up on Crown in a lot of captions too.

13 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I see Crown got them in brass and they dropped back behind the Cadets in percussion...which probably means 7th overall in percussion.

If they place 7th in percussion at finals it is going to be really tough for them to place higher than 3rd overall. BD and SCV don't seem to have one single weakness, and I imagine brass could be the only caption (because of Crown) where both aren't in the top 3, or 2, and if one of them (BD or SCV) doesn't make top 3 in brass, they will be 4th in brass. 

Edited by queenanne_1536