Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

On 8/8/2018 at 9:56 AM, MikeRapp said:

I have to say, when Bluecoats did Tilt I was genuinely worried that they would fall back into the middle of the pack. I didn't see how they could follow that up with something better, which is what it takes to maintain momentum in this activity.

Well, they followed that up with something entirely different and ground breaking. And I wondered if they were wandering into gimmicks they couldn't sustain.

Then they followed THAT up with a gold medal show that literally rewrote the book on show design for drum corps.

And then did something similar but equally daring and interesting the following year.

This year, when I first saw Session 44, I was surprised, and not so much in a good way. I was so excited for a jazz show, and thrilled it was coming from Bluecoats. Session 44, though, was a slow burn. It wasn't Tilt, or Kinetic Noise, much less DSU or Jagged Line. I was disappointed to have to accept that this might be a down year for Bluecoats. But the more I watched the show, the more I got it, the more I realized the magic of the design. After the conundrum of Crown's vocalist-focused show last year, Bluecoats took the ball and totally ran with it in a way that most feel was the best use of a singer in DCI history. 

I loved your note here, and I snipped some of it for brevity. Agree with all of it.

Tilt was certainly ground-breaking in some ways, but not as much as Kinetic Noise.  KN was the show that I feel took the electronic/audio soundscaping that we hear today to the next level. Some may not like this, but Bluecoats did it so well.  Then came 2016, which I believe is the modern-day version of what Star 1993 did to the activity. Costumes, innovative use of props, theater-like staging, continued innovative and excellent use of electronics and soundscapes, all mixed with killer solos, groovin' music (a la Madison Scouts mid 90s), and the opening entrance with dance was simply amazing.  If you even mentioned some of this stuff as being part of a show back in the 70s or 80s I think a fight would have broke out.  In 2016 it won a DCI Championship, and today we see it's effect -- even on all-time great corps like Santa Clara, Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, and more.  Of course, every drum corps is making their own contributions; and they all copy a little bit from each other (as they should).  Bluecoats 2016 have certainly added to what we see today in a big way. 

• Like 6

Just pure joy to watch Bluecoats tonight!  This show is amazing and watching the performers once they were done, you just knew they were loving how they performed tonight. So much positive energy and complete committment to what they are doing. Go Bloooo

• Like 5

I just have to say this:

I aged out in the pit 28 years too early...thanks Bloo crew for taking me back

:worthy:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

A year ago today I would not have believed what I would be doing what I did this summer.  I am so sad this is all over tomorrow night, but what a journey it has been.  

They say not to meet your heroes, but spending the whole summer with the corps that has been my favorite since I was a freshman in high school exceeded any expectations I had.  I hope I had a fraction of the impact they’ve had on me.  

Good Luck in the future.  I've heard you have been an important part of this years effort.  You consistently go above and beyond what is expected.

• Like 4