Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

8 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Several changes and additions put in since Detroit. Design team in for both days in Akron. Addition of purple drums and purple shirts for battery looked great. As did the actual show flags. 3 of next 4 days are full rehearsal days. More great stuff coming :-)

Just so you know...the design team was working on 3 steps down the line from here ;)

• Like 3

cZhFvc6.jpg

• Like 5

Posted this in the Akron thread, but it probably belongs here:

Was able to see some closer footage of Blooo...

I'm not a percussion guy, but seems to me that the field line is projecting a heathly dose of aloofness on the featured moments.  Now that's ingrained in the theme of the show and it's part of their stylistic shtick anyway...

But I can't help but wonder if it makes the most important stuff a bit harder to read (if not outright affecting performance).  It's not like they are getting hammered in drums, but they certainly aren't going to be competitive when all groups come together.  I wonder if there is any easy boost to be had there by simply posturing the featured moments a bit better?

This topic might end up being the '2017 baritone solo' of 2018.

Wow, what a fun show and one of my early favorites! Might have to nickname them the "Greycoats" this summer :) I loved the musical selections and portrayals of different eras of jazz themes that they brought to the field. The vocals were done tastefully, blended well, and weren't overdone. In 2016, the Bluecoats discovered the formula to win a championship: that is to out-Blue Devil the Blue Devils. There is just no reason not to like this show! 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

out-Blue Devil the Blue Devils. 

I see what you mean...but...no

I'm all in with this year's design (hence my new avatar). A potential masterpiece in the making and again my favorite of the year so far. A few bits here and there to work out and I'm still trying to get a good read on the perc book and the way it is integrated, but I'm optimistic that I'll be amazed as usual by the Bangers. Kudos Bloo!!! 

• Like 4

Watched another video...liked it much better than the first time.  

I am not that into the opener but man are they good. I haven't warmed up to the presence of the singer yet but I don't hate it.

Otherwise other than a few transitions I love the rest of the show. Oh man that trumpet solo in the low range is....wow.  I think this is probably their best brass group yet...which is really exciting.

Go Bloo!

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 2

Given this show some more listens, and I've come to the realization that I'm not sold on the first half of the show but I absolutely love the 2nd half. The vocalist works so well and I can't believe I'm saying that honestly.

Also, listen closely to those mellos, they are a REVELATION. Absolutely amazing. Rivals SCV for best mello line this year 

• Like 4