Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I was actually referencing 

1. The very relaxed and confident approach to performance that both corps have 

2. The jazz influence that both corps have leading to a more soprano weighted sound

3. The emphasis on individual performance 

4. The very modernistic style of show design 

OK, I can see some of that...not sure about #3 until the past two shows on Bloo's account, but they are clearly moving that direction. I think where Bloo stubbed their toe is by looking back at last year's show and attempting to "bottle" some of that. Watched the opening theater show, and I found myself saying at about 2 minutes into their show "this is the same show, just different music". They did go a different path after that, but they and Crown both fell into the same trap. You just have to keep moving forward and not look back. The only beneficial looking back is to take notes of things that didn't work...such as the massive, unmovable prop occupying the middle of the field. They did some cool things with it, but something that big, and that is static, you have to account for it at all times. I pretty much called it at the theater...wasn't going to be a repeat. 

I like the direction that Bloo has gone musically...they've always had a unique bent to their style that I've liked. My most listened to show (besides the new BD offering) is Kinetic Noise. Always entertaining from a musical standpoint. Some neat visual ideas from time to time, but this year just didn't seem like a wholehearted move to where they wanted to go. They had the musical ideas and they had the Fosse thing - but still tried to incorporate some of last year's visual approach. So they dipped their foot 50% into one visual pool and 50% in another. They should have gone full Fosse visually but didn't. The music was cool, but probably didn't square well with what really wasn't jazz for most of the show. Lessons learned, most likely. I fully expect them to bounce back next year. Great horn line, great drum line and some very creative visual and program personnel on board there...not to mention a great organization. Best to them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

I dunno..."we're going to perform Stan Kenton's City of Glass more times than Kenton ever did because concert audiences didn't get it for him but they definitely will for us" felt a shade bit smug, whether it was intended to be or not.

Well performed show, but...it is an entertainment activity.

Fair enough, but it's not as if that's every year. :) Actually, it's a competitive activity. If I had a dollar for every time my favorite show didn't win (and a vast majority of the time, rightfully), I could go and have a pretty nice meal. 

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Aw, you didn't need to delete. lol.

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I found one I liked better. 

I see that now. :dozingoff::laughing:

Edited by BDCorno

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

"sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words can never hurt me."

+1 to Crossmen.

$1 to Tresona

If Tresona is involved, it will be a lot more than a dollar, and I'm not sure they'll approve it anyway. :dozingoff:

Off topic...but I like the new look of the site!