Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

16 hours ago, BDCorno said:

OK, I can see some of that...not sure about #3 until the past two shows on Bloo's account, but they are clearly moving that direction. I think where Bloo stubbed their toe is by looking back at last year's show and attempting to "bottle" some of that. Watched the opening theater show, and I found myself saying at about 2 minutes into their show "this is the same show, just different music". They did go a different path after that, but they and Crown both fell into the same trap. You just have to keep moving forward and not look back. The only beneficial looking back is to take notes of things that didn't work...such as the massive, unmovable prop occupying the middle of the field. They did some cool things with it, but something that big, and that is static, you have to account for it at all times. I pretty much called it at the theater...wasn't going to be a repeat. 

I like the direction that Bloo has gone musically...they've always had a unique bent to their style that I've liked. My most listened to show (besides the new BD offering) is Kinetic Noise. Always entertaining from a musical standpoint. Some neat visual ideas from time to time, but this year just didn't seem like a wholehearted move to where they wanted to go. They had the musical ideas and they had the Fosse thing - but still tried to incorporate some of last year's visual approach. So they dipped their foot 50% into one visual pool and 50% in another. They should have gone full Fosse visually but didn't. The music was cool, but probably didn't square well with what really wasn't jazz for most of the show. Lessons learned, most likely. I fully expect them to bounce back next year. Great horn line, great drum line and some very creative visual and program personnel on board there...not to mention a great organization. Best to them.

I agree with a lot of your critique of Bluecoats. The only exception would be the criticism that Jagged Line wasn't a big enough move from Down Side Up, only that Blue Devils have relied on the exact same design concepts for almost a decade and it hasn't seemed to impact their scores.

When I first saw Jagged Line, my main concern was how they would be able to execute a medalist show with a massive stage plunked down the middle of the field. In the end, they did as good a job making it an asset as possible but it was definitely a liability as well. The biggest issue was the fact that you had to go single file from field left to field right. It dictated too much of the drill the end.

The biggest miss of the show was the ballad. It was a valiant design effort and concept that just never worked as well as it needed to. They took a fourth of the show up to execute an idea that never really was worth the investment.

Purely from a design concept standpoint, and this is just me, it was a conceptual mismatch to do a Fosse show visually with ultra modern music. If you are going to do Fosse, do it 100%. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I agree with a lot of your critique of Bluecoats. The only exception would be the criticism that Jagged Line wasn't a big enough move from Down Side Up, only that Blue Devils have relied on the exact same design concepts for almost a decade and it hasn't seemed to impact their scores.

When I first saw Jagged Line, my main concern was how they would be able to execute a medalist show with a massive stage plunked down the middle of the field. In the end, they did as good a job making it an asset as possible but it was definitely a liability as well. The biggest issue was the fact that you had to go single file from field left to field right. It dictated too much of the drill the end.

The biggest miss of the show was the ballad. It was a valiant design effort and concept that just never worked as well as it needed to. They took a fourth of the show up to execute an idea that never really was worth the investment.

Purely from a design concept standpoint, and this is just me, it was a conceptual mismatch to do a Fosse show visually with ultra modern music. If you are going to do Fosse, do it 100%. 

Largely agree with you. I know what you're saying re/Blue Devils...design structure somewhat the same, design concepts were different from year to year. I think you'd have a hard time making the case that any of the shows from 2007-present had the same personality or energy year to year. Mirrors to Bacharach to Dada to Rite to Fellini to Ink to Dreams to Diamonds...very different from year to year. I guess a better way of describing the Bluecoats' first couple of minutes is that the energy was quite similar from 16 to 17. Agree completely that the music was incompatible with the Fosse visual style. While you could program the movement style to align with the music, that didn't necessarily mean that it would project the same way when not paired with jazzy Broadway music. I did like the music a lot...they're always digging up new music that I've never heard (well, very familiar with the Zappa piece). I'll still have this program on my playlist in my car...music program was a lot of fun!

• Like 4

I think that Meredith Monk music would fit very well into their wheelhouse with what they are currently going for, modern and sometimes abstract pieces that are a little funky rhythmically from a composition standpoint but work for the field. I'm thinking something like Double Fiesta (and I'm sure others), an acquired taste for sure but I'm imagining the horns/percussion parts in it would be great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bluecoats have been and always will be my favorite corps. However, I'm not a fan of the uniform trends they've been setting. 

Don't get me wrong, I still loved Jagged Line and, Downside Up is my favorite show next to Tilt. However, I am not a fan of the uniforms they've used for those shows.

They made sense for Downside Up, since going up and down slides in those with those full uniforms (though I believe they could've at least worn the helmets), but they defenitley could've pulled the full ones off in Jagged Line. And not even the proper uniforms could save those things 

What's worse is that they've started a trend. Blue Knights uniforms looked phenomenal, but it was ruined by the lack of shakos. The Cadets wore god awful robes that went to ok at best looking looking  tights, and, once again, didn't wear shakos. Even Vanguard went with the trend and didn't wear Aussies on their 50th anniversary of all years. AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON MADISON SCOUTS. Don't get me wrong, I still loved these shows (sin Cadets and Madison), but the uniforms (mainly lack of hats) still distract me 

My hope is that all of these corps(not you Madison and Cadets) continue to realease these amazing and innovative shows. And I especially hope that they will out on actual uniforms (or at the very least hats)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, it’s amazing how quiet this thread has been recently...

Anyway, some interesting recent news: The Bluecoats are recruiting a timpani player for the pit this year. I believe this is the first time since 2013 that there will be timpani in Bloo’s pit (oldbandguy, correct me if I’m wrong).

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Wow, it’s amazing how quiet this thread has been recently...

Anyway, some interesting recent news: The Bluecoats are recruiting a timpani player for the pit this year. I believe this is the first time since 2013 that there will be timpani in Bloo’s pit (oldbandguy, correct me if I’m wrong).

Yes...timpani making a comeback with Bloo in 2018!  It's been a while :-)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, DrumManTx said:

Their new Independent World guard made their competitive premier today at WGI Indianapolis, a strong 3rd in prelims behind two contenders.  .

Super fun show, just like anything I expect out of that organization.  They should have a great inaugural season.  

Indeed a fun show that was much enjoyed by the crowd.  They were up against the 2016 and 2017 World Champion Pride of Cincinnati and recent WGI medalist Onyx.  Obviously some work to do, but to be in striking distance of an 80 in their very first show is certainly an achievement!

Would also extend congrats to Rhythm X, with a few Bluecoat ties, on their winning the Dayton Regional today that had 2017 World Champs MCM.  Great start and a GREAT SHOW!

• 3 weeks later...

It should also be noted  that Bluecoats' other winterguard, Artistry IN BLUE is currently ranked 3rd in the entirety of Independent A class.

http://wgi.org/wp-content/uploads/wgi_events/rankings/2018/ranking_Independent_A.html

Edited by mingusmonk