Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

It all starts from the TOP! David Glasgow was the first paid employee of Bluecoats in 2004 (I think?) and he has created a foundational design team, many who are also now paid employees, that have pushed this activity each and every year. It is precisely why you see Bloo setting the trends. You get what you pay for, or something like that :)

You don't need to worry about Bloo right now. They are a well-oiled machine that is just getting started.

• Like 6

By the way, Jim Moore of the Bluecoats pointed this out on his FB wall. Bluecoats spent their last regular-season rehearsal day at Glenwood Middle School in Canton Ohio. And you guessed it, that school is located on 44th Street!

VmZQQjT.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, superOOk said:

It all starts from the TOP! David Glasgow was the first paid employee of Bluecoats in 2004 (I think?) and he has created a foundational design team, many who are also now paid employees, that have pushed this activity each and every year. It is precisely why you see Bloo setting the trends. You get what you pay for, or something like that :)

You don't need to worry about Bloo right now. They are a well-oiled machine that is just getting started.

What’s great about Bluecoats now is that if you are a current member of a DCI corps, you know exactly why you would choose to move to Bluecoats. And why you wouldn’t. They will continue to be the hip corps that still shares their toys. 

I truly believe 2019 will be the greatest season in dci history. I think you will see the top 12 be as uniquely strong, compelling and accomplished as we have ever seen. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Nice post MikeRapp...

Bloo's design team is simply THE BEST!  That is a totally biased, ultra homer opinion, but
each of us are allowed to express our opinions are we not?  Simply The Best.  (cue Tina)

They're certainly the most creative. I give them props for making a jazz show that doesn't make me think "Oh Blue Devils could do this better." It still has that bloo flair to it which is very nice.

• Like 2

MikeRapp,

You have nailed it.  There are a couple of Marching Arts Roundtable interview is Doug and Tom, and Mike and Jon that show what it takes to do this.  This is a team, in place, that will continue to surprise us all.  It does start at the top.  A Director who will listen, and allow the creative folk to do what their (collective) vision dictates.  I'm sure there are limits, but the Bluecoats are moving this activity in a new (and welcome) direction.  And when they do something, they tend to do it right.  This years use of vocal is only an example.  We see it in the use of electronics, costuming, color choices, and overall design.

• Like 1

As we enter the home stretch, I just wanted to thank the Bluecoats for keeping drum corps fun, innovative and full of energy! THIS is my kind of show!

Go Bloooooooooooooooooooo!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, superOOk said:

Dave is a really nice approachable person (so is his wife)  I feel Mike Scott is very much the same as the torch is passed.  I actually thought when I heard this that Rhythm X might end up being part of The Bluecoats organization for WGI along with Bloo Indoor.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

They're certainly the most creative. I give them props for making a jazz show that doesn't make me think "Oh Blue Devils could do this better." It still has that bloo flair to it which is very nice.

Honestly, I think they have all the props they need, and wouldn't be too receptive to people giving them any more. In fact, I think they are trying to line up buyers for the ones they already have. If you have extra props, perhaps donate them to Genesis since they seem to be without any at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, superOOk said:

Having spent many many years now calling bingo for the Bluecoats here in North Canton (and also back when it was in Perry Twp) I have seen the growth in quality which does begin with Dave and Genevieve. The change in instruction and design from 2003 to 2005 was huge in my eyes. It set the corps up to help attract top-tier talent and instruction.  The 2005 corps continues to be one of my favorite Bluecoats shows because I felt it was the beginning of the new era.

But the financials have to be there. This is where Dave and Genevieve have thrived.  If you don't have cash in this business you will take a hit competitively. 

So while I agree with everything you said above, your second paragraph begins with a comment that I warn everyone about in this business.  We always need to worry. Bingo may not continue to be a big producer, or it may get even better. Who knows? I have been unable to call bingo games since last fall due to a new job.  I know the organization needs callers. This is something I did for the corps going back to 2004, when I was on the BOD, and continued up to last fall.  My schedule will likely prevent me from calling much this coming off-season; although I hope I can help some.  If you know of people here in the Canton/Akron metro who might want to help the corps, do have them contact Genevieve.  She, I believe, will continue as the Financial and Operations Officer and will continue to run the bingo game.  It would be nice to get more local alumni to come and help on a regular basis. 

Good luck to the corps today and through Saturday.  Go for it!!!  You can win it all!  Yes, SCV is really amazing, but who knows? Surprises can happen on Finals night.  Another top 3 year, of course, is simply amazing in this activity. Congrats to Blooo! 

• Like 2