Blue Knights 2018

2 hours ago, wesleyrp said:

The corps having Bocook solely with them this year was huge and wow what a book in 2017. Lots to look forward to, and I believe recruiting will be awesome again heading into 2018

For an arranger who has been at it since the 1970's he sure has remained fresh and relevant. Bocook and BK are a great fit. They're encouraging each other to be at the top of their game. It's a very special collaboration. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

I'd like to see them continue with their "what is life all about" themes, but I'd like to see them look at it with a humorous slant.  Let's lighten things up a bit next year.

Hehehe the last time they brightened things up came with Blue Toon in 01..... I prefer sophisticated BK myself, but then again I'm superstitious 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cleveland1 said:

Completely disagree in 2013, 2014, and 2016

The highest Knights ever placed in visual? 

I love what Knights do musically, as I have said many times here. But like it or not, drum corps has become a visual activity. Too much so, in my opinion. If your goal is to medal (and it may not be) then visual has to be merged into the concept. It cant be a prop, or a tarp, or a bunch of mirrors. Visual has to be central, with the music.

Again, I am not saying the goal should be to medal. But it is very clear what you have to do to medal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The highest Knights ever placed in visual? 

I love what Knights do musically, as I have said many times here. But like it or not, drum corps has become a visual activity. Too much so, in my opinion. If your goal is to medal (and it may not be) then visual has to be merged into the concept. It cant be a prop, or a tarp, or a bunch of mirrors. Visual has to be central, with the music.

Again, I am not saying the goal should be to medal. But it is very clear what you have to do to medal.

Im responding to your claim that they dont design their shows with visual in mind. 2017 seemzms to be an exception. 

6 minutes ago, Cleveland1 said:

Im responding to your claim that they dont design their shows with visual in mind. 2017 seemzms to be an exception. 

There is a huge difference between designing shows "with visual in mind" and making visual central to the design. Again, I have been one of the most vocal supporters of Blue Knights this year. They have the coolest brass and percussion book on tour (save Vanguard) and did the best to use but not abuse amplification. In the offseason, theirs will be one of the few recordings I will listen to.

That said, of all the corps out there, they continue to be the corps on the outside looking in that has a chance to become a medal contender. You don't have to do the visual vomit fest of Cavaliers to be in that group, thankfully, but little mirrors and tarps don't cut it either.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

That said, of all the corps out there, they continue to be the corps on the outside looking in that has a chance to become a medal contender. You don't have to do the visual vomit fest of Cavaliers to be in that group, thankfully, but little mirrors and tarps don't cut it either.

Agree completely! The problem we're now getting is who do they knock out to get to the medals? I do believe they'll get there at some point, especially if they continue to be the Blue Knights we've seen from 2014 and on.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Agree completely! The problem we're now getting is who do they knock out to get to the medals? I do believe they'll get there at some point, especially if they continue to be the Blue Knights we've seen from 2014 and on.

A fair point- so many great corps!

I think the Bluecoats are a great example of perservereance..... and a great model for BK. In the early and mid 2000's they started carrying a great nitch for themselves and started moving up steadily. Once they got to the later 2000's they finished top 6 some, top 7 some etc.... then they realized their potential in 2010 - The future is now..... In the years right before 2010 they were not spinning wheels, it was driving them towards their best design ideas that were still to  come. 

I think BK is in a pattern like this.... There will always be challenges but they are starting to realize the path before them and with a few tweaks can and will take those steps needed to move into the medal elite, or even the top 4-5.

Wes P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wore my Blue Knights shirt to the doctors office today for my checkup, and as I sit down in the little room with the scales and stuff, the doctor was like "Blue Knights? You're into DCI?" And we had like a 15 minute conversation drum corps and percussion stuff and it quite made my day. :sigh:

Edited by youraveragenoob
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, youraveragenoob said:

I wore my Blue Knights shirt to the doctors office today for my checkup, and as I sit down in the little room with the scales and stuff, the doctor was like "Blue Knights? You're into DCI?" And we had like a 15 minute conversation drum corps and percussion stuff and it quite made my day. :sigh:

I wonder what would happen if you wore their shirt with the eye on the side into your optometrist exam.:blink:

• Like 1