Blue Knights 2018

1 hour ago, A blue night said:

Saw a video from last night and I am pleased. Put a little dirty, the trombone feature needs to be louder. The loud part in the ballad gave me chills. Can’t wait to stream the show tonight

posted from the DrumScorps app

Agreed- my goodness what a show... ton of content, Rite is the best arranged version I’ve heard in a long time.... Bocook is definitely locked in with BK and the Radiohead stuff is awesome

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wesleyrp said:

1 hour ago, A blue night said:

Saw a video from last night and I am pleased. Put a little dirty, the trombone feature needs to be louder. The loud part in the ballad gave me chills. Can’t wait to stream the show tonight

Agreed- my goodness what a show... ton of content, Rite is the best arranged version I’ve heard in a long time.... Bocook is definitely locked in with BK and the Radiohead stuff is awesome

Radio head stuff is epic

• Like 1

I really want to give a shout out to the intrepid guard member who upon noticing the wheel coming off of the pyramid prop crawled out in perfect time with the show and made it look like it was supposed to be. Super recovery!!!!!!!

Thank you Blue Knights for coming every year! One of my all time favorite corps!

• Like 3

On 6/16/2018 at 9:04 PM, kinetic inferno11 said:

Their percussion placed fairly high last year I do believe. If not, they were certainly talked about and admired all season. I think with the right show they could absolutely be too 5 material. Is this that show? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. But I do agree, BK never ceases to amaze with doing things outside the box!

Their snare line was flat out dominant last year. Their sound just cut your head off. Their lead snare was the star of their show. If those guys return, watch out.

• Like 1

Some thoughts...

1.  I haven't seen BK since the send-off show.  Have they put the whole show on the field yet?

2.  Nice to see that BK broke 70 last night.

3.  I sure hope they break 80 before/at DATR.

4.  Speaking of which, two weeks and I get to see my one and only live show this year.  Can't wait.

On 7/1/2018 at 4:10 AM, Herk said:

Some thoughts...

1.  I haven't seen BK since the send-off show.  Have they put the whole show on the field yet?

2.  Nice to see that BK broke 70 last night.

3.  I sure hope they break 80 before/at DATR.

4.  Speaking of which, two weeks and I get to see my one and only live show this year.  Can't wait.

1. Yes. They prepped the final movement during their 5-day rehearsal stretch after the Stanford show and put it in for the SoCal swing. It was on the field for at least the Riverside and Pasadena shows. Not sure about Oceanside. Now, is that the "final final" ending? Is there more to come? I would expect there is always more to come.

2. BK currently running ~2.5pts ahead of last year by date. Last year it took them 6 shows to hit 70; this year, five. Standard youcan'tcomparescoresyaddayadda disclaimer applies.

3. Last year BK didn't crack 80 until just after Denver. Based on current trends, it's at least theoretically possible they could touch 80 by DATR. Denver show is on the light side this year; no BD, no Mandarins, and no Cadets as originally planned. It's going to be a fairly gravity-free scoring environment for BK, so pick your theory on how that will, if at all, affect scores.

4. Have fun!

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 10:59 AM, A blue night said:

I love the Blue Knights show. Their Right of Spring arrangement is wonderful.

And you're right: trombones are just not as loud as baritones. They can't be, because the bore is so much smaller. Trombones certainly are brighter at loud volumes, but in the context of a drum corps show the sound gets lost behind trumpets and cymbals.

People laughed at me here when I said that trombones are not as loud as baritones, but everyone is hearing it for themselves now. Trombones can only be featured downfield or with mics because the sound just doesn't carry across the field. Corps made the same discovery about tubas when they replaced contrabass bugles: no carrying power. Upfield, 16 tubas can't cut through like 4 contrabass bugles could.  And the worse combination of all is a trombone solo with a wireless mic, it's just a crummy sound. Rationalizing crummy sound in pursuit of technological trumpery is not an improvement.

I am wondering what BK's score is going to look like today after have a few days to clean and add.  Looking east I think it is going to be interesting were they are compared to Cadets/Blue Stars/Phantom