Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

On 8/18/2017 at 10:20 AM, Zeke said:

Just Wow...I had no idea the age out count was that high with Vanguard this year. When was the last time Vanguard or any corps has had that many age-outs in one year?

This year. BD has 60 age outs. No worries, they'll reload and be fine.

2 hours ago, BDCorno said:

This year. BD has 60 age outs. No worries, they'll reload and be fine.

BD could have 120 ageouts... and still win, imo. it doesn't really matter if BD has 60 age outs or 120, as having 120 age outs simply means they have more marchers to receive from their Feeder Corps system to fill out their All Star Roster, thats all.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

BD could have 120 ageouts... and still win, imo. it doesn't really matter if BD has 60 age outs or 120, as having 120 age outs simply means they have more marchers to receive from their Feeder Corps system to fill out their All Star Roster, thats all.

Horn line: 20 members that marched BDB --> BDA; 2 that marched BDC --> BDB --> BDA
Percussion: 8 members that marched BDB --> BDA; 1 that marched BDC --> BDB --> BDA
Color guard: 6 members that marched BDB --> BDA; 3 that marched BDC --> BDB --> BDA (including an 11 year member that aged out)
Drum majors: 1 that marched BDB --> BDA

41 members, including 6 all the way from C Corps. Pretty impressive feeder system. Proud to have been part of such a great organization as both marching member and instructor. SCV has built a pretty nice feeder system too...bodes well for both groups moving forward.

• Like 3

Edited by jmc5682
repeated post

11 hours ago, BDCorno said:

Horn line: 20 members that marched BDB --> BDA; 2 that marched BDC --> BDB --> BDA
Percussion: 8 members that marched BDB --> BDA; 1 that marched BDC --> BDB --> BDA
Color guard: 6 members that marched BDB --> BDA; 3 that marched BDC --> BDB --> BDA (including an 11 year member that aged out)
Drum majors: 1 that marched BDB --> BDA

41 members, including 6 all the way from C Corps. Pretty impressive feeder system. Proud to have been part of such a great organization as both marching member and instructor. SCV has built a pretty nice feeder system too...bodes well for both groups moving forward.

Yes, but BD could not possiblty have won 40% of the DCI Titles ( and medal in most of the others ) unless they filled their annual ranks with more marchers from their de facto Feeder Corps system, than their internal organization's Feeder Corps System. I'm not criticising it, I'm just pointing it out as an undeniable reality, thats all. BD has had a phenomenal system working for them the last 40 years, that should work like clockwork for them for the next 40 years too, imo.. its a marvel really. Unprecedented in any other Performing Arts or Sports League competition in the world really. Hats off to them for working the DCI system about as perfectly as it could ever possibly be worked.

Edited by BRASSO

On 8/18/2017 at 7:31 PM, ftwdrummer said:

Very yes. If ever there were a corps that had its own set of genres (or "types," to borrow your parlance), Vanguard is it.

On the one hand, you've got their darker, more intellectual shows. This year falls under that, as does (off the top of my head) 2015, 2011, 2010, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997.

On the other hand, you have their lighter shows. Not less weighty, but...lighter, all the same. The Appalachian Spring years would fall under this, as would 2016, 2012, 1996.

Then you have the pageants. This is your musicals--Fiddler, Phantom, Miss Saigon, Les Mis--and your heavy-pageantry shows--1987, Scheherazade (both times).

I think those three broad classifications sum things up, but y'all can feel free to parse further.

Fog City Sketches - a darker show?  Get outta town!

Edited by HockeyDad

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes, but BD could not possiblty have won 40% of the DCI Titles ( and medal in most of the others ) unless they filled their annual ranks with more marchers from their de facto Feeder Corps system, than their internal organization's Feeder Corps System. I'm not criticising it, I'm just pointing it out as an undeniable reality, thats all. BD has had a phenomenal system working for them the last 40 years, that should work like clockwork for them for the next 40 years too, imo.. its a marvel really. Unprecedented in any other Performing Arts or Sports League competition in the world really. Hats off to them for working the DCI system about as perfectly as it could ever possibly be worked.

"Working the DCI system"...seems you're the king of the backhanded compliment today. :) It is undeniable that they develop as much, if not more home-grown talent than anyone else you find in the top echelon of drum corps. So I'm not sure if you're shooting down your own assertion. BD has the most effective internal feeder group, producing as many (or more) performers (of very high quality) than almost anyone else, but they have an advantage "working the DCI system". I guess if having a well run, efficient organization that dedicates itself to developing its own talent is "working the system", then more groups should get on board. It does allow them to be more selective in who they do take on, but they earned that...it wasn't "working the system". Any other group that wants to cheat the natural order of drum corps simply needs to develop a "B" groups and spend a couple of years developing top talent for their own. Then they'll get the same insidious advantage. LOL! You know who's done that? Vanguard. And you know who the top two groups were this year? You guessed it.  

20 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

"Working the DCI system"...seems you're the king of the backhanded compliment today. :) .  

To clarify, my intent is not to have readers come away with the impression that " working the system " was a pjorative " back handed compliment " aimed at the BD.  I would like to disabuse you ( or others ) that I think intelligently " working the system " legally and efficiently (as BD has for 40 years ) is somehow a bad thing. I do think DCI is a goofy system to essentially have NO policy re. transfers requirements between competing " teams ". But the " teams " ( Corps ) have agreed to this quirky system. BD can not be faulted in the least for winning approx 40% of the Titles the last 40 years, and medaling in most all of the others. As I said repeatedly, I have every confidence that the Blue Devils will dominate DCI like no other sports team in any sports league in the world will over the NEXT 40 years too.. If thats not a full blown compliment to what I thnk BD's future success will be in DCI ( next 40 years !! ), then I don't know how one could be MORE complimentary regarding the Blue Devils prospects in the future under this DCI system.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarity...didn't quite know where you were going with it. A bit of a stretch to compare drum corps to sports, especially pro sports. No discernible financial component to the equation, and with the money flowing from the participant to the group (not from gate at shows), it's certainly quite the opposite. Hard to really come up with a comparable activity. Relative quality of management, overall staff continuity/quality,  and financial stability drops off quickly after the few successful groups, so it's no accident that BD, SCV, Bloo, Crown and Cadets manage to restock pretty effectively. Cadets are standing on the precipice right now too, after two relatively unsuccessful years and major staff upheaval. Will see how that goes. I think you're right...unless BD suddenly "steps in it" in terms of leadership, or some unforeseen catastrophe strikes, they're well set. The only cure for the overall system is to develop ten or so really well run, strong corps that can spawn instructors and leaders to an expanding base. That number is far too small, though there are a couple of groups on the rise but still a few years off. I don't really have too many worries about the kids, but the lack of really good leadership and organizations activity wide is still scary.

16 hours ago, BRASSO said:

To clarify, my intent is not to have readers come away with the impression that " working the system " was a pjorative " back handed compliment " aimed at the BD.  I would like to disabuse you ( or others ) that I think intelligently " working the system " legally and efficiently (as BD has for 40 years ) is somehow a bad thing. I do think DCI is a goofy system to essentially have NO policy re. transfers requirements between competing " teams ". But the " teams " ( Corps ) have agreed to this quirky system. BD can not be faulted in the least for winning approx 40% of the Titles the last 40 years, and medaling in most all of the others. As I said repeatedly, I have every confidence that the Blue Devils will dominate DCI like no other sports team in any sports league in the world will over the NEXT 40 years too.. If thats not a full blown compliment to what I thnk BD's future success will be in DCI ( next 40 years !! ), then I don't know how one could be MORE complimentary regarding the Blue Devils prospects in the future under this DCI system.

Johnny one note   and in a Santa Clara thread.