Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

Way to go Vanguard!  I can't wait to see your show in person!

• Like 2

Im very conflicted about SCV this year. SCV from 2012-2016 was the SCV I love. Very melodic, very elegant and beautiful. Regal even. 

SCV last year and this year is a whole different corps. They’ve moved onto something much more aggressive and frantic. Their horns have a harsher sound, they’re playing many more technical passages, and I feel like they’ve strayed really far from the style I enjoyed from them. It’s very foreign to me. 

I honestly really disliked Ouroboros. I can’t say the same about this show. There are some moments where I’m just thinking in my head “this is a little too much, ease off” but overall I like this show, probably one of my favorites of 2018. I just hope they go for something less aggressive next year 

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Im very conflicted about SCV this year. SCV from 2012-2016 was the SCV I love. Very melodic, very elegant and beautiful. Regal even. 

SCV last year and this year is a whole different corps. They’ve moved onto something much more aggressive and frantic. Their horns have a harsher sound, they’re playing many more technical passages, and I feel like they’ve strayed really far from the style I enjoyed from them. It’s very foreign to me. 

I honestly really disliked Ouroboros. I can’t say the same about this show. There are some moments where I’m just thinking in my head “this is a little too much, ease off” but overall I like this show, probably one of my favorites of 2018. I just hope they go for something less aggressive next year 

I can't wait to see this show live!  I really liked Ouroboros last year.  Although the music wasn't the beautiful, melodic style that they had been doing, I enjoyed the change of pace and liked the aggressiveness of the show. I'm hoping they can bring home the gold this season!  It's going to be a battle from the looks of things this early.  But, just like other years, we'll have to wait and see what happens when all of the top corps go head-to-head to see what is reality.  

9 hours ago, NeutralNovice said:

It is.

If ever there was a piece created to be a finale to a drum corps show, this is it.

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I loved Ouroboros so I was afraid this year wasn't going to live up to it. Well I had nothing to fear, I actually think I may like Babylon better. Were you AT Stanford last night? There was absolutely nothing harsh about their hornline. Powerful, full and crystal clear is what I would use to describe their hornline at Stanford last night. This is a championship caliber hornline. Best I've ever heard their hornline in June. I think video, even on Flo, is so different than being there, and you just don't get the full impact on video. In fact, I heard a harsh passage in BD, and was surprised. There was not one harsh passage to be found in Vanguard last night.

Babylon is so different from Ouroboros and anything before, and I think that in itself is huge. To be able to do a complete 180 and come out better than you were last year would seem like an impossible thing to do. Babylon is outstanding. You may need to see it a few times. I wasn't impressed based on the Periscope I saw from Clovis. Last night I was completely awe-struck by their show. Floored really. Spectacular. It is going to be really tough for anyone, even BD, to beat this show at finals. But, alas, it's June and way too early to proclaim them champion. Finals morning may even be too early to proclaim a champion. But, they will be challenging for ALL caption awards at finals. There is absolutely no doubt about that.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

Yea that last part would be perfect and I bet it is their finale. I really am excited to go to the show tonight at a stadium I like much more sound wise.

• Like 1