Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

3 minutes ago, quietcity said:

I agree with you that a show should be enjoyable in and of itself. But some research of any work of art can deepen your appreciation of it. For instance, I have always loved Shostakovich's music,  but over time I gradually learned of how his works were influenced by Russian and Soviet history, and about his own fraught history with Soviet officials. This knowledge has added a level of richness to the experience of his music. Likewise, knowing the inspiration behind SCV's theme adds nuance to an understanding of their show. 

This is really what I was getting at. I don't like being confused an entire show like how I have been for the past few years with BK.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

This is really what I was getting at. I don't like being confused an entire show like how I have been for the past few years with BK.

I'm sensitive to this.  Sometimes there are shows you can happily watch and not know that there's a subplot to the whole thing.  I think last year and this year with SCV, for instance, they can be watched and enjoyed on their own merits.  For me, the "swing and a miss" shows are the ones where you *know* there's something going on out there, but you can't figure out what it is.  Apologies to BK, but The Great Event was a pretty good example, I think. 

Mike

• Like 4

So I just "saw" this show...um, wow.

IMO, very strong bones/framework to build on for the rest of the season.  Get hints of the '99 energy, refinement and improved delivery of the '16 and '17 complexity, I could go on.

And yes, that ballad :inlove:

I can't WAIT to see them in Massillon!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I try not to dwell too much on the themes of shows anymore. Drum corps is a lot more enjoyable that way. For me it always comes down to which corps is presenting me with the most entertaining musical arrangements 

Of course as a guard person the visual is so important to me.  I think the visual and music are equally important.  The bottom line though is that I want to be entertained.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

I'm sensitive to this.  Sometimes there are shows you can happily watch and not know that there's a subplot to the whole thing.  I think last year and this year with SCV, for instance, they can be watched and enjoyed on their own merits.  For me, the "swing and a miss" shows are the ones where you *know* there's something going on out there, but you can't figure out what it is.  Apologies to BK, but The Great Event was a pretty good example, I think. 

Mike

Agree on all accounts. I just loved it at STanford. Great music, great visuals and great drill. The props are so effective too.

• Like 1

Really impressed with the choreography for the brass, but must ask, anyone know why so much running around with one arm out?

So much other body is really effective, but not getting that...

1 hour ago, jmc5682 said:

Of course as a guard person the visual is so important to me.  I think the visual and music are equally important.  The bottom line though is that I want to be entertained.  

yeah I understand that. But at the end of the day, for me personally, I never go back to a show for the visual. I go back to it for the music. It is how I consume drum corps once the season is over. Everyone looks for something different. 

3 hours ago, cadet93 said:

Really impressed with the choreography for the brass, but must ask, anyone know why so much running around with one arm out?

So much other body is really effective, but not getting that...

Perhaps it's about trying to follow one another to achieve their goal of working as one group, since it seems they do it only when following each other as a ripple. But I'm honestly not sure either. Maybe it's just for extra visual movement in the upper body. It may look awkward if they run with the upper body stiff or arms at their side.

Just got a good look at SCV's costumes. WTF! I didn't think it was possible to have uniforms worse than last year...man was I wrong. How does this not affect their visual score? Hard to take this corps seriously with these god awful uniforms. Go ahead, flame away...just being honest.

35 minutes ago, dans said:

Just got a good look at SCV's costumes. WTF! I didn't think it was possible to have uniforms worse than last year...man was I wrong. How does this not affect their visual score? Hard to take this corps seriously with these god awful uniforms. Go ahead, flame away...just being honest.

De gustibus non est disputandum. Up close, the outfit is rather plain, and is lacking the rich iconography of SCV's classic uniform. But in the context of the show,  especially in contrast to guard colors, they work very well. 

• Like 3