Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

7 minutes ago, ashevillemurphy said:

Why are the various "tops" of the props/platforms not decorated, with a pattern or changeable coverings... like the round props last year?

Maybe because of safety... although they moved around on top of last years props too...

Visibility?

Last year the props got turned on their sides and rolled, tilted at angles, etc., so having something decorative on top made sense. In this case, they're never really facing the audience (except from the nosebleeds), so there's not as much need.

And their aesthetic this year seems more geared to a minimalist design.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:49 PM, ashevillemurphy said:

Why are the various "tops" of the props/platforms not decorated, with a pattern or changeable coverings... like the round props last year?

Maybe because of safety... although they moved around on top of last years props too...

The platforms are meant to represent various things, like cages or towers, so I think any decoration would have detracted from this. Check out description from SCV's visual coordinator, Andy Toth: 

I am struck by the fact that SCV's abandonment of innovative whole field drill is correlated with their rise to the top of the heap. Seems they finally acquiesced to the reality of modern judging:   movement and staging is what gets rewarded now. I love SCV's show this year, and so happy about their success, but I am missing the wonderful Weber drill from last year. 

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, quietcity said:

I am struck by the fact that SCV's abandonment of innovate whole field drill is correlated with their rise to the top of the heap. Seems they finally acquiesced to the reality of modern judging:   movement and staging is what gets rewarded now. I love SCV's show this year, and so happy about their success, but I am missing the wonderful Weber drill from last year. 

Weber’s drill is one of a kind. Add in the fact that he liked to use more narrow spacing and you had the formula for one of the most unique looks in DCI. Instantly recognizable 

• Like 1

If you account for starting date of the season (or technically in this case, first show for the corps in question - using each show's score at 29 days past their first show, since SCV's first show this year was 06/22), Babylon (92.325) scored higher at this point in the season than Felliniesque (91.650), 1930 (91.400), Frameworks (88.850), or The Zone (87.525). Just thought I'd put that out there, it's not incredibly significant but it's an interesting thought.

Edited by kalad's_phantoms_regiment
  • Like 2

I mentioned this on the San Antonio thread. Today SCV scored higher than their final score in 2011, and we all know 2011 started the direction change of the staff, starting with the Rennicks.

So people are asking if Babylon will beat the score set by Felliniesque, which may not be possible this season. I think a better question is whether Babylon can set the new Vanguard high score by beating Phantom of the Opera's 98.800.

• Like 1

I just wanted to quickly add that the SCV’s brother/sister corps torched the competition tonight at the West Coast OC Championships show in Pleasanton, CA, taking GE by over a point and Brass by 0.6 on their way to breaking a 73. The “Unified Brass Teaching” is certainly paying off! I’m just tickled pink (cream?) that both SCV corps are dominating their respective landscapes this year! :angel1:

• Like 5