Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

33 minutes ago, DCIDADDIO said:

Not sure, but you can bet with SCVC dominating in open class, it will be more than ever. 

You would think that, read some ware that BD B & SCV has contributed about 20%. in the past but I am sure these kids wind up all over the place.

6 hours ago, FTNK said:

Of course it’s impossible to really know, but could this be one of the most physically demanding shows ever? I mean It’s not classic Cadets-style with fast whiplash drill for 6 minutes straight, but there’s so much strength involved in all the constant body movement, core-centric poses, moving props, etc. and the tempos aren’t exactly slow.

No, I don’t think so. Cadets 2015 was more demanding than this 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

No, I don’t think so. Cadets 2015 was more demanding than this 

Yes... I was thinking of this one ( among others ) in particular too. That said, this SCV show is demanding enough, and its got all the demand of all sorts( and execution levels) that it needs to win it all this season.. Plus, I think its a highly entertaining show as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EDAVE said:

There was a SCV Cadet parent post before the season started that there wasn't any 2017 cadets members that made the A corps.

Well that sure seems like a surprise. It is a difficult corp to make though. I think BD, Bloo Cavies, Crown, SVC etc are all pretty tough and you really have to have IT to squeeze in there. 

Just needed to show some love for the soft ballad ending / dance transition:  the drill transitions through the blocks to the single lines reminds me of the similar transition last year (and the 3 circles meshing into one in 2013)...add in the tympani "glissando" down the scale and it just feels so right... 

Sorry, I have to turn on my inner fanboy for a moment - this is not only one of the best SCV shows ever, it's in my top 5 of best shows *ever.*  Finally getting to see it in person, the whole concept makes waaaaay more sense than it did on video.  There are virtuosic performances all over the field from start to finish, both musically and athletically, and the tower/ramps are used to brilliant effect.  Definitely one of my favorite ballads ever, as well.

I cannot fathom how Blue Devils or Bluecoats can beat this show - I just can't.

That is all.

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EDAVE said:

There was a SCV Cadet parent post before the season started that there wasn't any 2017 cadets "Brass" members that made the 2018 A corps.

I know of at least a few 2017 SCVC brass members that are in SCV's hornline this year, and would be surprised if it were not more than that. 

In the future I would be surprised if we didn't see more of a CA (though I know that SCVC has had increased membership out of state) dominance of SCV brass members. There is now so much integration both in faculty and practice between the two corps staff these past couple years. I've heard this year they're doubling down on trying to make SCVC a true feeder corps for SCV, giving members a summer that will prep them well for how SCV does everything. 

• Like 1