Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

3 minutes ago, smj02 said:

Forecast looks much better for both Friday and Saturday as of this morning.

3 minutes ago, smj02 said:

Forecast looks much better for both Friday and Saturday as of this morning.

Really?  I've been checking out the forecast as well and it still looks pretty hairy through Friday night.  Flash flood warnings in Central PA until Friday morning at 8 AM, but then 80% to 90% chance of storms on Friday/Friday night.  Hopefully, they are wrong.

Maybe I should update the city in my browser when I quick-check the forecast!  NWS is at about 60% chance of precip from morning straight through to midnight. Fortunately, scattered convection doesn't usually work that way.  Let's hope the rain falls during the day and leaves the evening precip-free, as has happened in several recent years for DCI East.

Edited by smj02

33 minutes ago, smj02 said:

Maybe I should update the city in my browser when I quick-check the forecast!  NWS is at about 60% chance of precip from morning straight through to midnight. Fortunately, scattered convection doesn't usually work that way.  Let's hope the rain falls during the day and leaves the evening precip-free, as has happened in several recent years for DCI East.

Agreed. I have been there through drizzle to heavy downpours and the shows still went on.  I was at West Chester one year, and we were watching the radar because it was a similar scenario to tomorrow's forecast in Allentown. The pockets of rain were heading right toward us but kept breaking up or going around us. We saw no rain until we got in the car to go home and then the skies let loose.  Hopefully, we'll have a similar situation tomorrow. I'm taking a "newbie" along tomorrow and she is anxious to see all of the corps and I'd hate for her to miss out on some great drum corps.

3 hours ago, Buckeye said:

I have it on good authority that it is Ninja sharks with laser beams. I can not reveal whether they rappel in or....

Jet packs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sched88 said:

Really?  I've been checking out the forecast as well and it still looks pretty hairy through Friday night.  Flash flood warnings in Central PA until Friday morning at 8 AM, but then 80% to 90% chance of storms on Friday/Friday night.  Hopefully, they are wrong.

chance of storms yes, but you have to understand the geography. if it's coming from the west, or the southwest, it could get hung up in the mountains and veer away. Once year the radar an hour west was red...and we were dry. Some years we've seen stuff in the surrounding area, and yet nothing hit the stadium. 70% chance is just that...chance. Last night, in Harrisburg, radar said we'd get nothing at 8 pm....yet it was dark as hell and blowing like wild.....and it let loose. Yet Chester got nothing.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

chance of storms yes, but you have to understand the geography. if it's coming from the west, or the southwest, it could get hung up in the mountains and veer away. Once year the radar an hour west was red...and we were dry. Some years we've seen stuff in the surrounding area, and yet nothing hit the stadium. 70% chance is just that...chance. Last night, in Harrisburg, radar said we'd get nothing at 8 pm....yet it was dark as hell and blowing like wild.....and it let loose. Yet Chester got nothing.

I know.  I live in Mechanicsburg and it started raining hard at 8 PM.  This morning, went to play tennis at Messiah college and got drenched at 11 AM even though the forecast didn't have rain until at least noon or later.  I don't put too much faith in forecasts but always seem to worry when they may interfere with my drum corps plans!  

7 hours ago, sched88 said:

Not good news for Tomorrow regarding the weather, UGH...

..FLASH FLOOD WATCH NOW IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING...

The Flash Flood Watch is now in effect for

* Portions of east central Pennsylvania and northeast
Pennsylvania, including the following areas, in east central
Pennsylvania, Berks, Lehigh, and Northampton. In northeast
Pennsylvania, Carbon and Monroe.

Showers and thunderstorms containing heavy downpours will
impact the region through this evening. This activity will
become better organized in the early evening, and then will
eventually weaken towards midnight tonight. While rainfall
amounts area wide will generally average under one inch, locally
heavy rainfall of 2 to 3 inches are possible where
thunderstorms move over the same location. There will be a lull
in the activity between around midnight or so tonight and Friday
afternoon. For Friday afternoon through Friday night, another
round of showers and thunderstorm producing heavy rainfall is
expected. Therefore, the Flash Flood Watch has been extended
through Saturday morning to cover the following round of
activity.

I do not post much here, I stay away from the drama.

Let me preface, I am a FMM of Cadets, I am a Cadet in my bones.

My greatest drum corps moment ever was seeing SCV in Westchester in 1985.  SCV and Cadets were within tenths of each other.

Vanguard won that show and did a standstill of their show as an encore. They got in an arc and when I say they made me cry.

I luckily to this day have that encore that I recordered on cassette, lol now on my hard drive.

1985 Vanguard to me is the greatest corps put on a field, until this year.

I have been fortunate enough to see them live several times and in rehersals as well.

This show, the performers are special.

Once in a lifetime special

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2