Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

6 hours ago, oldcadetsop said:

I do not post much here, I stay away from the drama.

Let me preface, I am a FMM of Cadets, I am a Cadet in my bones.

My greatest drum corps moment ever was seeing SCV in Westchester in 1985.  SCV and Cadets were within tenths of each other.

Vanguard won that show and did a standstill of their show as an encore. They got in an arc and when I say they made me cry.

I luckily to this day have that encore that I recordered on cassette, lol now on my hard drive.

1985 Vanguard to me is the greatest corps put on a field, until this year.

I have been fortunate enough to see them live several times and in rehersals as well.

This show, the performers are special.

Once in a lifetime special

Holy moly— just..wow...speaking as an ‘85 SCV hornline age out & Tunnel of Doom survivor it seems like ‘85 is kind of a “forgotten” year, so thank you so much! Comparing ‘85 across decades to ‘18 is rarified company indeed. :angel1: I just hope the outcome is better for these perforners come August 11th!:babies:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, skevinp said:

Babylon is significant to Jewish heritage, so...

Bottle Dance?

While the “ballad echo” just before the very last note “sounds” like it would be correct for a lead-in to TBD, I kinda hope they don’t go to that well. I still think Ninja sharks with lasers and jet packs is a good call, plus maybe add a couple of giant robot dinosaurs that explode when the mello sustain hits!!  

OOOOOO [KA-WHOM!!] OOOOOO [KA-BOOM!] OOOOOOO....

Edited by TRacer
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TRacer said:

Holy moly— just..wow...speaking as an ‘85 SCV hornline age out & Tunnel of Doom survivor it seems like ‘85 is kind of a “forgotten” year, so thank you so much! Comparing ‘85 across decades to ‘18 is rarified company indeed. :angel1: I just hope the outcome is better for these perforners come August 11th!:babies:

WOW to me you guys that year were incredible. 85 vanguard was truly incredible

so you marched with Jon Wagoner?

So yeah. I'm having a hard time deciding what excites me more...new furniture arriving today or seeing what SCV has been working on in closed rehearsal. 

With any luck, I'll get to watch it while sitting on my new sofa!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, TRacer said:

'85 SCV is one of my favorite shows of all time. SCV stayed at McFarland high school '85 to '87. It was always fun going to Madison finals week, and my mom and I would head to McFarland every night to watch SCV's ensemble. I was really hoping they would win that year. Such a great show. The reheasal ethics of the members were fantastic. It's one of the shows I listen to most, and Festive Overture is one of my favorite openers of all time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in college that summer and my parents met up with me to go to Finals.  We snuck a bottle of champagne into the stadium to celebrate the win....we still drank it but I was dismayed...somewhere, I have all of my SCV T-shirts, including the Tunnel of Doom one...

Would love to meet you some day!

While the “ballad echo” just before the very last note “sounds” like it would be correct for a lead-in to TBD, I kinda hope they don’t go to that well. I still think Ninja sharks with lasers and jet packs is a good call....

What about Ninja sharks doing the bottle dance?  They could join fins and alternate between sliding and balancing on their tails...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, gak27 said:

I was in college that summer and my parents met up with me to go to Finals.  We snuck a bottle of champagne into the stadium to celebrate the win....we still drank it but I was dismayed...somewhere, I have all of my SCV T-shirts, including the Tunnel of Doom one...

Would love to meet you some day!

Sounds good! I am on Oahu now but my plan is to get out to LOS next year; my son is currently a 3rd year trumpet with SCVC (they are in Cedar Rapids today) and is already planning on auditioning for the A-corps again for 2019. His marching is top notch (I was his first marching instructor and got him started in DC, um, “early” :w00t: at age 12) and he is working hard on the playing side. 

If we meet I’m easy to spot because I develop a nasty twitch when I’m around automated car washes, as that’s what the inside of the tunnel looked like in action...

Edited by TRacer
  • Haha 2