Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

5 hours ago, oldcadetsop said:

WOW to me you guys that year were incredible. 85 vanguard was truly incredible...so you marched with Jon Wagoner?

Yes...Jon was one of the four “Washington Boys” (Jon, Cary, Mike & Smitty) that came down as a group from Marauders, all four marched 85-87. Jon, Cary, Mike and I were in the baritone section and they were directly ahead of me during the Tunnel gag; poor Smitty on contra had to do that trick while low walking— ugh! Sadly, we lost Jon a few years ago when he prematurely passed away from natural causes. :sad:

I meant to add...I very nearly didn’t march SCV...after being blown away by Garfield at the Key to the Sea show (I think) in 1982 (to me that is the “real” year when GC changed everything, not ‘83) I made a beeline for GC’s souvie trailer, asked all sorts of questions and was given an application packet for the next year. I remember still being in uniform at time (Associate level corps.) 

Edited by TRacer
Darn autocorrect
  • Like 1

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

Sofa acquired.  Now hopefully SCV can complete the thrilling day by debuting whatever they're working on.

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

Yes...Jon was one of the four “Washington Boys” (Jon, Cary, Mike & Smitty) that came down as a group from Marauders, all four marched 85-87. Jon, Cary, Mike and I were in the baritone section and they were directly ahead of me during the Tunnel gag; poor Smitty on contra had to do that trick while low walking— ugh! Sadly, we lost Jon a few years ago when he prematurely passed away from natural causes. :sad:

I meant to add...I very nearly didn’t march SCV...after being blown away by Garfield at the Key to the Sea show (I think) in 1982 (to me that is the “real” year when GC changed everything, not ‘83) I made a beeline for GC’s souvie trailer, asked all sorts of questions and was given an application packet for the next year. I remember still being in uniform at time (Associate level corps.) 

Jon was a great person. He and I never actually met, but we met thru the old BD forums page. We talked a lot together.  LOL we shared the same west chester story I told you.

A solid man

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

Sounds good! I am on Oahu now but my plan is to get out to LOS next year; my son is currently a 3rd year trumpet with SCVC (they are in Cedar Rapids today) and is already planning on auditioning for the A-corps again for 2019. His marching is top notch (I was his first marching instructor and got him started in DC, um, “early” :w00t: at age 12) and he is working hard on the playing side. 

heheheh...that's how old I was for my first Finals appearance...:peek:

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

If it was Key to the Sea in 82, then you saw me march...and MAN was the turf hot that year...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing

Sure! My parents were not enthusiastic at all about their kid traveling cross country to march a big time drum corps which is why I didn’t do it after I discussed it with them. In my box of DC memorabilia I think I still have the application packet the nice Cadets souvie lady handed me; she seemed surprised a kid from CA was so interested in an East Coast corps (it was a different time, right?)  :tongue:

56 minutes ago, gak27 said:

heheheh...that's how old I was for my first Finals appearance...:peek:

If it was Key to the Sea in 82, then you saw me march...and MAN was the turf hot that year...

Oh man! We went on earlier in the day and it felt like a dry sauna. 

I have caved and have bought a (rather decent and expensive) finals ticket.

Will be road tripping with my roommate all day Friday and back Sunday to catch the last performance of Babylon. 

• Like 3