Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

18 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I've seen plenty of Vanguard rehearsals.  Mr. Royer never closed one off to the public.  He realized how important the fans are who support the corps.

I can’t vouch for the validity since I wasn’t there personally, but the ‘82 guys I marched with in ‘84 told me that while rehearsal wasn’t closed per se GR did have the hornline taken *somewhere else* off-site where TBD was passed out. Remember, at the time BD was having an undefeated season for the ages while SCV were the defending champs, and GR wasn’t about to let his corps go down without pulling out all the stops. 

• Like 1

Kansas City (88 and 89) rehearsals were closed as I recall.

Bill you in here?

Mike

40 minutes ago, mikekhs said:

Bill you in here?

Mike

Rehearsals were only closed at thew finals sites as the disappearing trick was put in. Even with that... friends of the corps were there. 

1 hour ago, lifeisaround said:

A lot of people have been talking about why they closed rehearsal... anyone know if its because of the media?

Why because of the media?

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

Why because of the media?

possibly because of people posting video from practices.  when I attended there were signs at the gates and in the stands asking for no video or audio recording.  not sure if they are up while on tour.

Closed rehearsals reminded me that in  "79" the  color guard was in closed rehearsals (high school gyms) a week prior to DCI Finals to learn and perform the bottle dance.  The rest of the corps learned the drill at a Birmingham park field after Finals had already started in order to maintain the surprise.  It's been such a fantastic year for Santa Clara. My family will have to survive one more week of hollering, crying, screaming, fist pumping and speakers at the highest volume settings (which happens every July and August).  Drum Corps, such a great activity for all, and an indelible experience though the years.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HouserCD said:

Closed rehearsals reminded me that in  "79" the  color guard was in closed rehearsals (high school gyms) a week prior to DCI Finals to learn and perform the bottle dance.  The rest of the corps learned the drill at a Birmingham park field after Finals had already started in order to maintain the surprise.  It's been such a fantastic year for Santa Clara. My family will have to survive one more week of hollering, crying, screaming, fist pumping and speakers at the highest volume settings (which happens every July and August).  Drum Corps, such a great activity for all, and an indelible experience though the years.

2 hours ago, mikekhs said:

Bill you in here?

Mike

2 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Rehearsals were only closed at thew finals sites as the disappearing trick was put in. Even with that... friends of the corps were there. 

iMerge

• Thanks 1