Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

SCV.... Musically this is just so #### good...they could play the exact same book next year, come out in mad max gear, call the show “path of destruction,” and I would not care

The pacing and variety is really great. And as far as I can tell, they play "songs" for the most part (if they're mashing up and chopping & bopping, it's tastefully done).

There are so many musical and visual impacts that the crowd reacts to, I imagine the performers just feed off of the energy. The show seems to end so quickly, I think because the design is so seamless, and from beginning to end the show is just so enjoyable. 

• Like 7

Wow. Just, wow. This show HAS to be seen live (and I loved it just from video before tonight). The ballad is just a joy to watch and listen to - even knowing what was coming I was overwhelmed by the SNAP/HIT. My God.

A mello almost fell going to the top of the platform for the finale, but recovered remarkably well; I think they might have been just a bit antsy to compete with the extra day off.

Thank you, SCV.

mPLWCIO.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 4

When I pass on, Heaven won't quite be what its cracked up to be, if  don't hear the SCV mellophones playing up there. ( Then again, I suppose its presumptuous of me to conclude thats where I'm gonna end up in the end  )

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

When I pass on, Heaven won't quite be what its cracked up to be, if  don't hear the SCV mellophones playing up there. ( Then again, I suppose its presumptuous of me to conclude thats where I'm gonna end up in the end  )

Right now I think you are looking at purgatory.  There will be mellophones, but they will be playing Kenny G.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

Right now I think you are looking at purgatory.  There will be mellophones, but they will be playing Kenny G.

That won't work for me. If its Kenny G, I might just be ok with a place a lot further South where its perennially hot with no AC.

I'm so bummed the Allentown show was rained out. My only chance to have seen them live. At least the movie theater will be better than a computer screen. 

in·no·va·tion
ˌinəˈvāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. the action or process of innovating.
    synonyms: change, alteration, revolution, upheaval, transformation, metamorphosis, breakthrough;More

• a new method, idea, product, etc.
      plural noun: innovations
      "technological innovations designed to save energy"

The show has so much "IT" factor, congratulations on a great season! 

5 hours ago, FTNK said:

SCV win would be great for the corps--first since 1999! And good for the activity to have such a storied group back at the very top. Also it's a very good show that people seem to really dig. Win-win all around

Yes. But the real significance of what SCV has done is that they aged out about half their corps last year, after having an awesome season. And came back stronger, with an even better show, and basically boat raced the field from nearly the beginning to the end. 

That's a shot to the side of the BD, Bluecoats and Crown boats. Last year was fun and rewarding. This year was a punch in the face. Or lower.

SCV ain't going away now. No, they are going to be recruiting against the best from here, and winning a lot.

Boston ain't going away either. And you can bet Crown is going to reconsider show design in the offseason and come back with a great show, because there is no doubt now that anything less than that, next year, will land them in sixth. Behind Cavaliers.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Yes. But the real significance of what SCV has done is that they aged out about half their corps last year, after having an awesome season. And came back stronger, with an even better show, and basically boat raced the field from nearly the beginning to the end. 

That's a shot to the side of the BD, Bluecoats and Crown boats. Last year was fun and rewarding. This year was a punch in the face. Or lower.

SCV ain't going away now. No, they are going to be recruiting against the best from here, and winning a lot.

Boston ain't going away either. And you can bet Crown is going to reconsider show design in the offseason and come back with a great show, because there is no doubt now that anything less than that, next year, will land them in sixth. Behind Cavaliers.

Do you think SCV will be able to avoid the post-championship fallout (if they win of course) that Phantom, Crown and Bluecoats went through?