Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

4 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Do you think SCV will be able to avoid the post-championship fallout (if they win of course) that Phantom, Crown and Bluecoats went through?

I don’t think Crown or Bluecoats experienced any fallout. Both Crown and Bluecoats will win another title in the next five years, They both remained at the top of the activity.

Phantom has struggled largely due to an inability to define their style beyond the original vision. 

11 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I don’t think Crown or Bluecoats experienced any fallout. Both Crown and Bluecoats will win another title in the next five years, They both remained at the top of the activity.

Phantom has struggled largely due to an inability to define their style beyond the original vision. 

I just meant in the following year. I'm sure they'll be fine in the long run. I just think it's interesting how corps with zero staff changes that could contend with BD would fall out of the top 3, and then return to their medal contending status the following year.

15 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

I just meant in the following year. I'm sure they'll be fine in the long run. I just think it's interesting how corps with zero staff changes that could contend with BD would fall out of the top 3, and then return to their medal contending status the following year.

I think we get an inaccurate picture of what contending means if we compare it to Blue Devils. BD is the only corps in the world that ages out most of its kids and reloads with more age outs the next. Crown, SCV and Bluecoats have utterly crushed their competition over the past six years.

7 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Yes. But the real significance of what SCV has done is that they aged out about half their corps last year, after having an awesome season. And came back stronger, with an even better show, and basically boat raced the field from nearly the beginning to the end. 

That's a shot to the side of the BD, Bluecoats and Crown boats. Last year was fun and rewarding. This year was a punch in the face. Or lower.

SCV ain't going away now. No, they are going to be recruiting against the best from here, and winning a lot.

Boston ain't going away either. And you can bet Crown is going to reconsider show design in the offseason and come back with a great show, because there is no doubt now that anything less than that, next year, will land them in sixth. Behind Cavaliers.

Lotta boats goin on

9 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Do you think SCV will be able to avoid the post-championship fallout (if they win of course) that Phantom, Crown and Bluecoats went through?

Without a doubt.

10 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Since last year when they earned a medal, they have the motivation/staff/resources to compete for medals for years to come.  As mentioned, Crown and Bluecoats have had no fallout.  Only one corps wins gold and there's a bunch of other corps who would love to be within a point or two of earning a medal. 

Edited by Ghost

26 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Since last year when they earned a medal, they have the motivation/staff/resources to compete for medals for years to come.  As mentioned, Crown and Bluecoats have had no fallout.  Only one corps wins gold and there's a bunch of other corps who would love to be within a point or two of earning a medal. 

I really think people are taking the word "fallout" way too harshly and are purposely being obtuse about @Brass Lover's true sentiment

I'm sure he doesn't need a lecture to know that there is nothing to be ashamed of for being 4th or 5th. 

What he is asking is that do people think SCV will be able to avoid falling out of medals the year after a championship? Or will they end up like Crown and Bloo after their respective championships?

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

What he is asking is that do people think SCV will be able to avoid falling out of medals the year after a championship? Or will they end up like Crown and Bloo after their respective championships?

Well, like some of my posts, why didn't he be more specific?  With your clarification, I'd say they have a better chance of medaling in 2019 than the other corps did after their wins.

13 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Well, like some of my posts, why didn't he be more specific?  With your clarification, I'd say they have a better chance of medaling in 2019 than the other corps did after their wins.

Why would that be?