Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Just an opinion.

Typically opinions have reasons behind them, but okay :thumbs-up:

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I really think people are taking the word "fallout" way too harshly and are purposely being obtuse about @Brass Lover's true sentiment

I'm sure he doesn't need a lecture to know that there is nothing to be ashamed of for being 4th or 5th. 

What he is asking is that do people think SCV will be able to avoid falling out of medals the year after a championship? Or will they end up like Crown and Bloo after their respective championships?

Thank you, you are absolutely right. As for not clarifying more I apologize, my friend got their cat stuck between the floor boards of their house so I got distracted to say the least :bored:

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Why would that be? 

To my mind, track record. SCV's staff has a past track record of relatively consistent placement year-to-year (off the top of my head, I only recall one Gaines-designed show that didn't medal, but I don't remember when he started writing for Cavies). Unlike Crown and Bloo, once they've gotten up to this level, they've stayed up (compare with Crown, who medaled in 2009, then dropped and didn't make it back up until 2012, or Bloo, who medaled in 2010, dropped and didn't make it back up until 2014, then dropped in placement again in 2015 before winning in 2016).

They've also shown the ability to reload talent-wise--by all accounts, there should have been a drop-off this year based on the number of age-outs last year, and it didn't happen.

Both of those make me optimistic that SCV 2019 will go better than Crown 2014 and Bloo 2017.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

To my mind, track record. SCV's staff has a past track record of relatively consistent placement year-to-year (off the top of my head, I only recall one Gaines-designed show that didn't medal, but I don't remember when he started writing for Cavies). Unlike Crown and Bloo, once they've gotten up to this level, they've stayed up (compare with Crown, who medaled in 2009, then dropped and didn't make it back up until 2012, or Bloo, who medaled in 2010, dropped and didn't make it back up until 2014, then dropped in placement again in 2015 before winning in 2016).

They've also shown the ability to reload talent-wise--by all accounts, there should have been a drop-off this year based on the number of age-outs last year, and it didn't happen.

Both of those make me optimistic that SCV 2019 will go better than Crown 2014 and Bloo 2017.

I agree with this

Not sure how many of you have already run across this, but I just did and thought I'd share - a pretty good quality audio recording:

Audio only - Enjoy!

I like it because you can pick up so many nuances/interactions within the writing...

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

I agree with this. Babylon will be hard to top, but they have put all the pieces in place for lasting success.

3 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Thank you, you are absolutely right. As for not clarifying more I apologize, my friend got their cat stuck between the floor boards of their house so I got distracted to say the least :bored:

In my opinion, Brass Lover's friend's cat has a better chance of falling out than SCV.

• Haha 2

On 8/8/2018 at 4:11 PM, ftwdrummer said:

SCV’s been here before. If SCV 2019 is anything like SCV 2000, I’ll be happy. 4th place, yes, but what a show.

Crown 2014 and Bloo 2017 just seemed like design staffs learning the wrong lesson from their win—doubling down on your design quirks isn’t necessarily a good thing!