Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

So proud of SCV!!!!  I was hooked on this corps since 1999.  LOVED that show and was mesmerized when i saw it live!  It took 19 years to get a championship back but well worth it!  You guys have so much class and i love the way you try different things in your show design.  Keep it up!  Glad there are no more DCI championship ties.  Woo hoo!!!!!!  You deserve to stand alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We shouldn't let this 2018  Santa Clara Vanguard thread fall off the 1st couple of pages of DCP quite so soon, imo.

' Just want to say congratulations to both Santa Clara Vanguard and Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets for winning the World Class Division AND the Open Class Division DCI Championships.  Both Corps were deserving Champions, with well designed shows, and performed magnificently by their marchers here in 2018. Kudos to everyone there !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:
11 hours ago, Tez said:

SCV wins their first Brass trophy since 1987, and only 3rd all time (also won in '84).

SCV wins their 14th percussion title breaking a tie with the Blue Devils for most all time.

Sorry for the double quote but I could not find the original...I was wondering how many Sanfords they’ve now collected— wow!

As an alum who marched the aforementioned ‘84 line I am so happy to see SCV earn Ott #3 and Founder’s Trophy #7. As a proud SCVC parent who listened to his kid on the phone at 2:30AM Indy time today as he sat in the airport reflecting on his 5th season, earning his 2nd OC championship (they took Brass, GE & Perc too), playing Clowns in Michigan City, VC’s exhibition run last night (“...I still wish we’d gone on just before X-men, not over an hour before”), listening to the A-corps play Clowns in LOS (“...that was utterly surreal, Dad.”), school, plans to improve himself as a musician, his DC future (he has several seasons left)...it was kind of a drum corps version of a Circle of Life moment. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sasha1 said:

Historic show, peak experience.  The SCV show was unbelievable. 

I truly wish they had done more with the color guard choreography, Boston Crusaders KILLED that aspect.  

Any chance they made a documentary about it?   I want more.....

Just curious.  It never once popped into my head that the choreography was lacking.  Any particular parts of the show? It more like modern movement mixed with street vs ballet or jazz.  But the performace aspect was definitely there.  

I will say that I have been an SCV fan since day 1. The first time I ever saw drum corps was the 1991 PBS telecast and I was mesmerized by the Miss Saigon show over everything else. Even though I never marched there I've always loved this group. I had sort of crappy seats for the show but I made sure I got into a good spot for the victory run and I was blown away. The show is everything I had hoped and more in person. I was also happy to see that it looked like the horn and guard alternates got to come on the field and participate in the victory run during the hip hop dance break section. Everything about this show was completely deserved. Well done!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PJinPDX said:

Just curious.  It never once popped into my head that the choreography was lacking.  Any particular parts of the show? It more like modern movement mixed with street vs ballet or jazz.  But the performace aspect was definitely there.  

The SCV band choreography was unbelievably fantastic, the color guard choreography was a bit more discordant than I tend to like.  The performance by the dancers of course, was excellent.

I don’t know if a video exists of the colorguard routine for Boston Crusaders, especially at their main prop site, I think it was a compass..

All the dancers and the choreography were brilliant. Well deserved best color guard award.

One of my absolute favorite moments of the season is the prelude hook to the ballad right before the horn snap, just before the corps turns around. You could hear the crowd begin to cheer and rise to their feet in anticipation of the best moment of the season, worth every penny every time I see it.

• Like 3

Until I watched the encore again, I never noticed how one member does a somersault off of one of the props just before the ballad (while the various mosh-pit leaps are happening from the other props)--dropping five or six feet to the field.

Also from watching the encore again, there was definitely weirdness happening with the amplification in the ballad that I can't figure out. I watched three different videos of that performance, and it's the first soloist whose sound is affected.

On one video, shot from lower down, the soloist sounds under-amplified but no worse.

On the other two video, shot from higher up and much higher up, the soloist sounds fully amplified but there is static from time to time.

I can't figure why the static is only audible from higher up.