Madison Scouts 2018

16 hours ago, ndkbass said:

Too bad I am not a one year vet of the organization.

Wasn't singling you out, but fair enough.

Still don't understand how firing the "current administrative staff in its entirety" is a healthy maneuver. Unless there's a serious breach of the corps' mission, all we're doing is playing fantasy drum corps.

• Like 4

Firing the admin would be a huge mistake as they have been making sound decisions financially and organizationally

that will help insure the future stability and continuity of the organization. Not to mention building a culture

of sound leadership and excellence for the young men that will impact their lives and the lives of those around

them for decades to come. Competitive success is great, but I've seen FAR too many Corps chase it like it's the most

important thing (which is laughable in a subjective art form).....to their own peril. Take Magic of Orlando in 2002. They

went and bought the best staff for a short-sighted goal of shooting for the top....they didn't have a solid structure or

long-term plan, and a few years later, they were GONE. Never to come back. 

I would rather have the Scouts stay around where they are (or inch forward) while building a much stronger

financial foundation....and when they are ready (and ONLY when they are ready), make a big move like Boston did.

Edited by Nine White Russians
  • Like 4

On 8/17/2017 at 10:46 PM, ndkbass said:

Why do you and others assume that those of us who raise our concerns here are not also doing so through other channels you see as more valid?

Because he assumes a lot more than he should and likes to ##### and moan about how he's a better Madison Scout than the rest of us.

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2017 at 9:36 AM, MotoSurfBass said:

Right, fire everybody after a season where they turned around their faltering results, mounted a roaring comeback to make Finals without breaking a sweat, and proving that they wouldn't be left 2 years behind everyone else with the evolving design patterns of the modern activity. That'll make things better.

Can't we just ####### enjoy Madison back in Finals for a few days before trashing the organization again? PLEASE?!?

Might I add that out of 150 members, they had 109 rookies and still made finals! 

• Like 4

Speaking only as a Madison fan, I'd love to see something from them in the vein of 2012's Reframed – revisiting some older Madison favorites in new ways, but wrapping it in something completely fresh.

A repertoire of something like:

• Gershwin's Concerto in F (main piece)
  • Ravel's Bolero
  • MacArthur Park
  • A Mis ABuelos

Would be something I'd be all for.

2 hours ago, Shempy said:

Speaking only as a Madison fan, I'd love to see something from them in the vein of 2012's Reframed – revisiting some older Madison favorites in new ways, but wrapping it in something completely fresh.

• Ravel's Bolero
  • MacArthur Park
  • A Mis ABuelos

That's a great selection of music. My preference is for them to create new classics instead of relying on previously performed classics. I'm hoping that is one outcome of 2017 - a focus on exploring new things that will begin to establish a fully contemporary Scouts identity. Without throwing all tradition aside, certainly.

Buy hey, I won't not smile if they do your kind of show.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shempy said:

• Ravel's Bolero
  • MacArthur Park
  • A Mis ABuelos

The Gershwin Piano Concerto would be great. It would be cool to see them mix that with Cuban Overture from the '94 show. They've explored Rhapsody in Blue and American in Paris enough, but there's plenty more out there.

• Like 2

On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 0:34 AM, swmstom said:

Here's a show design idea I had recently.

"Escape" ...sort of a Shawshank Redemption with a twist.

Guy is wrongly arrested and inprisoned. In prison he suffers torment and fight..losing his friend (ballad being the song Lost). He escapes but is killed in his escape. Show ends with him reuniting with his friend.

I have a show idea...just play great music.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 2:00 PM, mcjordansc said:

Apparently, you missed the amount of money Boston had to rebuild this year. Madison and Boston are not on a comparable financial footing. 

It was not a one year thing at Boston. Changes that took place over several years are now delivering results on the field.