Madison Scouts 2018

I actually like how all the colors work together from the stands, but I'm not sure about the design. I HATE HATE HATE the narration.

Show can be tweaked to get them into finals, but it's going to be  a bumpy ride.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

I also just saw their show on YouTube and I liked it!  After the angst-filled part of the stress on the heart, the "soul" part was very beautiful - beautiful music, especially the ballad, beautiful setting with the girl soloist in a long flowing dress. She is a wonderful horn player and I understand why they give her so much air time.  I enjoyed it very much and while it certainly didn't scream "Scouts" it was quite enjoyable to watch and listen to.

Also, for all the hating of WGI, the KIDS LOVE WGI, especially percussionists and guard members.  And the kids love the new costumes/uniforms because they are comfortable and cooler and easier to move in.  I don't think there is any going back, so you may as well relax and enjoy their efforts.

I really cannot either confirm or deny much of what you say since what I hear about WGI that is negative  is largely anecdotal, however I have heard that some of the brass folks do look down on it though I’m sure not all. Now before I get deluged by contras who think WGI is the greatest thing since the toaster, I did say it was anecdotal. 

I know that for many in drum corps wearing a uniform is a source of pride, but liking a uniform and being proud of it may be two different things. I’m sure in the past there were many who wore a uniform with distinction but didn’t like the colors, material, style, etc. Even back in the day, I’m sure many loved what the uniform stood for but probably didn’t like the uniform. Regarding the new uniforms, if they are cooler, great. Next Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I’ll be watching shows and will be at a July 4th parade or two on Wednesday. It’s predicted to be in the mid 9O’s. I think there will be less of a chance of heat stroke.  That’s not a bad thing. Just because at most shows there is an ambulance doesn’t mean it needs to be in use,

45 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Was there anything to worry about last year when the faced Crossmen in mid-July and there was almost a five point spread and Mandarins placed ahead of them as well?

Crossmen seems to be getting good reviews and many believe the corps is stronger and more mature. It’s also not new. My guess is the last time Madison topped Crossmen was in 2015. Scoring so close to Colts should be more of a wake up call than the point spread with Crossmen.

Yeah, there’s a lot to be worried about. Here’s to hoping the Scouts miss finals and get trounced by their competition so that we can end this disasterous admin without much fuss from the drones.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 1

Yet another season where the Scouts start 10+ points behind the leaders. Very disappointing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigBadMadMan said:

3 points behind Crossmen? lol Congrats, boys. Nothing to worry about. I mean, since Crossmen won DCI a couple of years ago, things are clearly on the right track. :rolleyes:

From what I hear, the instructional staff is doing a fantastic job. Too bad the creative staff and the admin have their head so far up their collective ##### that they thought this show was a good idea. 3 points behind Crossmen. :lol:

Welcome to the peanut gallery, ladies and gentlemen. I’ve got my popcorn ready.

giphy.gif

at this point in 16, the Scouts were trouncing Boston. How'd that work out?

• Like 1

On a positive note, I think this is a decent visual program at least from what I have seen so far. The forms are big and take up a lot of field space, which is what I like to see. Some corps seem to have focused more on staging, choreography, and props than drill (especially BD last year...SCV this year), so I appreciate what the Scouts are doing here. I'm not a big fan of costumes in general, but they don't bother me much either...It's way on the bottom of my list on concerns when it comes to what is in a show. I think the costumes work...I like the contrast of the red and blue from far away, and I think it adds to the show.

Here is where some of my criticism starts:

Musically...I wish there was something that I really liked. The Scouts are always one of my favorites when it comes to the music, but this year nothing grabs me. The "heart & soul" feels like it went missing from most of it. I'm not sure if a few small rewrites and more practice will help sell it much better...it feels generic, bland, and it's very difficult to find something that is memorable. The best part musically is probably the end of the "Latin jazz" section, but it still falls flat, and I'm not sure why exactly. I think it has to do with the pacing of the music in the show overall for me. 

As far as the program goes and what they are trying to convey...I have yet to figure that out. Seems like they are trying hard at the beginning with the voice overs to set something up, but before the featured soloist even comes out I'm already lost, and it only gets more confusing to me from there...especially as she is playing a few licks on her trumpet, wandering around the drill sets, and then running off to the back-right corner of the field without any purpose other than someone on the staff told her to run there. I feel like the staging needs to feel more natural for the soloist and there should be more purpose for her movement around the field. 

Talent-wise, I think the corps is stronger than last year. I was worried when I heard a partial standstill performance on Twitter (not sure when it was recorded), but after seeing them march and play on the Whitewater video, the brass sounded much stronger than I was expecting. 

I wish the Scouts the best, and I'll still be following them closely like I always do, but I hope the show designers, executive staff, and people who like the show can understand why some people are frustrated. It's not just because of what they are wearing. 

Edit: Sorry for writing a novel...it looked shorter before I published it. 

Edits 2,3,4: missing words, word edits

Edited by Tupid_06
  • Like 3

This show concept and design is sub par. Every year I hope that the Scouts get their act together, and with each regime change the product and results are the same...disappointing. Madison trying to be like everyone else isnt the answer. If you really want to be different and innovative in 2019, go back to something resembling the traditional scout uniform and play Latin jazz.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

This show concept and design is sub par. Every year I hope that the Scouts get their act together, and with each regime change the product and results are the same...disappointing. Madison trying to be like everyone else isnt the answer. If you really want to be different and innovative in 2019, go back to something resembling the traditional scout uniform and play Latin jazz.

What “regime change”? That hasn’t happened for over 10 years.

• Like 1