Madison Scouts 2018

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

Me, too!  Those kids were given a lot to handle and they dealt with it very well. The new visual show was on the field in San Antonio but it was too little time before Pasadena. 

I LOVED that opener! It was visually and musically wonderful! They put a lot of energy into that show.... it was sad to not see them in finals. But happy to see them back in finals in 2008. 

Speaking of 08, I am a big fan of their version of Danzon. It was very similar to the original source material.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Speaking of 08, I am a big fan of their version of Danzon. It was very similar to the original source material.

Oh heck yeah.  Loved their Danzon.  They did perform it at warp speed, though.

Mike

1 hour ago, James Mason said:

Hey Queenanne, I think your observation is fair but maybe not complete. You need to consider many things ... one of the things that both groups had in common was maturity/talent. With Star in 88 & 89 I pushed for design that would lay down a technical foundation -with hopes to retain membership so we could then leap to the next level once we added our design direction (see 90, 91,92 and 93). The first couple years at Madison were designed to re-establish the Madison DNA. In 2014, it was time for them to establish a technical foundation that is why I chose the show that I did. It was not the same as the “other” Scout shows I did for them but I knew it was what was needed to move them forward to the next level realizing they might take a baby step back to be able to really move to the next level in 2015. I regrettably wasn’t able to continue. The corps did place higher that next year, so I think the strategy would have worked. Good luck to you and thank you for your comment.

Thanks for joining in on the conversation! What are your impressions of how the Madison Scouts have built upon your contributions to the organization?

• Like 1

I am tired of the, if you dont like it, just be positive! Your hurting the corps with your words!  Tell us what to do constructively!! Ya, like the staff is going to listen. Well, just send money for us to #### away! This show is a fail. Costumes are sad. And the featured soloist is no where near a “FEATURED “ soloist. Mic ed with autotune and reverb?? Really.  The forced hype is tired. The goal is to win, or compete to win. Not just make finals.. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, James Mason said:

Hey Queenanne, I think your observation is fair but maybe not complete. You need to consider many things ... one of the things that both groups had in common was maturity/talent. With Star in 88 & 89 I pushed for design that would lay down a technical foundation -with hopes to retain membership so we could then leap to the next level once we added our design direction (see 90, 91,92 and 93). The first couple years at Madison were designed to re-establish the Madison DNA. In 2014, it was time for them to establish a technical foundation that is why I chose the show that I did. It was not the same as the “other” Scout shows I did for them but I knew it was what was needed to move them forward to the next level realizing they might take a baby step back to be able to really move to the next level in 2015. I regrettably wasn’t able to continue. The corps did place higher that next year, so I think the strategy would have worked. Good luck to you and thank you for your comment.

Wow! Thank you for writing such a thoughtful response. I really appreciate it. I never really thought of it like that. It makes a lot of sense - yes, sometimes you do have to go backwards to move forwards. You certainly left us with several Madison shows we can love for a long time.

I really hope you will see this comment because I've always wanted to meet you just to say, in all sincerity, thank you. Thank you for those great shows you gave Star ('89 through '93 are amongst my favorite shows ever). Admittedly, I did not like '93 during that season (I'm sure I'm not alone), but now I consider it the single greatest show ever and it is my absolute favorite. Back then I just liked - rip my face off loud and fast music. I didn't get what you were trying to do.  Years after '93 I saw the show in a whole new light. I learned that drum corps could be brilliant, exciting, innovative, and very musical without having to rip my face off. I heard such an exposed brass line playing to near perfection. I saw a design that worked on every single level - from the uniform colors, to the flags, to the drill, to the music. Just perfection. THAT show, 10 years later when I finally woke up, taught me to look beyond what I know and think beyond what I like, if that makes sense. Not just in drum corps, but with music in general. <- That, as a music lover, was a huge gift. Thank you.

I'm sure you are very proud of what Star accomplished. Taking a group from literally nothing to world champion in 7 years is certainly remarkable, but you left us with a show that is legendary. A show that will be talked about as long as drum corps exists. That is pretty amazing. I honestly listen to the 1990-1993 Star shows more than any other shows (except maybe '87 Vanguard).

I sure do miss Star. All the time. Like many great artists, Star left us far too early, but it also left us with some true masterpieces. It must have be amazing to have been part of that. I always say if I ever met someone that marched '93 Star I would kiss their feet.

I wish you the best in the rest of your life endeavors. Thank you, again, for chiming in.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Q of A said:

I am tired of the, if you dont like it, just be positive! Your hurting the corps with your words!  Tell us what to do constructively!! Ya, like the staff is going to listen. Well, just send money for us to #### away! This show is a fail. Costumes are sad. And the featured soloist is no where near a “FEATURED “ soloist. Mic ed with autotune and reverb?? Really.  The forced hype is tired. The goal is to win, or compete to win. Not just make finals.. 

I just wanted to repost this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Wow! Thank you for writing such a thoughtful response. I really appreciate it. I never really thought of it like that. It makes a lot of sense - yes, sometimes you do have to go backwards to move forwards. You certainly left us with several Madison shows we can love for a long time.

I really hope you will see this comment because I've always wanted to meet you just to say, in all sincerity, thank you. Thank you for those great shows you gave Star ('89 through '93 are amongst my favorite shows ever). Admittedly, I did not like '93 during that season (I'm sure I'm not alone), but now I consider it the single greatest show ever and it is my absolute favorite. Back then I just liked - rip my face off loud and fast music. I didn't get what you were trying to do.  Years after '93 I saw the show in a whole new light. I learned that drum corps could be brilliant, exciting, innovative, and very musical without having to rip my face off. I heard such an exposed brass line playing to near perfection. I saw a design that worked on every single level - from the uniform colors, to the flags, to the drill, to the music. Just perfection. THAT show, 10 years later when I finally woke up, taught me to look beyond what I know and think beyond what I like, if that makes sense. Not just in drum corps, but with music in general. <- That, as a music lover, was a huge gift. Thank you.

I'm sure you are very proud of what Star accomplished. Taking a group from literally nothing to world champion in 7 years is certainly remarkable, but you left us with a show that is legendary. A show that will be talked about as long as drum corps exists. That is pretty amazing. I honestly listen to the 1990-1993 Star shows more than any other shows (except maybe '87 Vanguard).

I sure do miss Star. All the time. Like many great artists, Star left us far too early, but it also left us with some true masterpieces. It must have be amazing to have been part of that. I always say if I ever met someone that marched '93 Star I would kiss their feet.

I wish you the best in the rest of your life endeavors. Thank you, again, for chiming in.

Nice back peddling. Oh, his shows died, sees response, ohhhh you are so wonderfull! xxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by MikeD
Filter circumvention

10 hours ago, Q of A said:

And the featured soloist is no where near a “FEATURED “ soloist. Mic ed with autotune and reverb?? Really.  The forced hype is tired. The goal is to win, or compete to win. Not just make finals.. 

Amplification and electronics are one thing.

Does anyone know how DCI  justifies allowing  autotune ?