Madison Scouts 2018

Does anyone feel like the Scouts and the Blue Stars should just switch shows?  I'm just teasing, of course.  But the Scouts show looks like something that would be more fitting to the Blue Stars, and their Carpenter show would probably work for the Scouts better too.

Edited by PRphan72
  • Like 1

Honestly when I heard the show announcement and repertoire I was thinking that Madison was finally going to take the approach to design that the Bluecoats did. And what many on here think the design team should’ve done to bring themselves into modern competitive design with the jazz edge. Unfortunately it’s not what we got. Not feeling the design, especially the first half. Tired of hearing the all male argument, obviously it hasn’t hurt the Cavaliers. Wish them the best of luck but those last few spots for finals are going to be tough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

at first i wanted to like this but....read what they said...something rare on DCP.

They admitted they never considered something mentioned, and how it changed their mind and way of thinking. I know showing your ### on DCP is a common thing, but admitting you may be wrong is one of the rarest things you'll ever see here. 

Thank you. It's easy for me to admit I'm wrong because it happens so often.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mfrontz said:

It's just not that easy anymore. The talent level in DCI is higher than it's ever been, and you have to be so consistent, and make consistent improvement each year in order just to make finals and stay there. To stay 14th-11th each year is extremely difficult. You've got Blue Stars who have been perennial finalists for about ten years, Crossmen who over the past five/six years have really established themselves as solidly in the 12th-11th spot and then about four corps, including Academy, Mandarins, Colts and Madison, which REASONABLY can expect to contend for 12th or 11th.

To be in contention to win is a ten-year project. You have to understand where you are in that time frame. You need a solid administration with a vision and a young, smart staff that wants to stay around and build. The models for that are Bluecoats 2004-2016, Crown 2004-13. Boston and Cavies are on that road now. I am also impressed with what I am seeing so far out of Crossmen this year.

Madison is at the VERY BEGINNING of that process. Why, how, doesn't matter now. If Madison's staff/admin is not on the right track to become a consistent finalist corps in the next few years, perhaps the changes need to be made. But ranting about how they should win and contend to win now just because of the name 'Madison Scouts' is unrealistic and simply undercuts credibility. Madison fans, RIGHT NOW, should be hoping for 12th or as a long shot 11th. if they fall out for the next two/three years, it may well be time for a change. But you need to think for the long term.

I am looking forward to seeing Madison tomorrow night. I am sure they will be in the mix in August.

No, i said that should be the goal, to win. First compete with the goal of getting to the top. The current administration is complacent to sit 15-10. But thanks for your verbal vomit

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

1. You don't know me.

2. It was not back-peddling. I expressed my opinion. He thoughtfully responded in a courteous way, and gave an explanation that made sense. An explanation that contained something that I hadn't thought about. An explanation from someone who brought a corps from nothing to a world champion to a fan. A fan who has not nearly accomplished as much as James Mason.

3. I'm the biggest Star homer you would ever meet. Especially Star '89 to '93. 

I am sure you are, but had Mr Mason not replied you would have moved on feeling superior, having critiqued his shows and not in a good light. Unable to sustain ......... just what i read

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Q of A said:

I am sure you are, but had Mr Mason not replied you would have moved on feeling superior, having critiqued his shows and not in a good light. Unable to sustain ......... just what i read

I'm just going to save us both the trouble and ignore you now. Bye!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueByYou2000 said:

Ive been a life long fan of Madison and need to pipe in as a fan,  not alum, and not alum from any corps. Ive spent thousands on shows, gear and travel to see the scouts spanning back to 1985. This is the first year i chose to not buy tickets for any shows, which typically is about 4 shows and i take a minimum of 4 people to every show and i pickup the tab. My impression of the organization is at an all time low and ill list my reasons.

1. An overall perceived arrogance from CK and DP whenever i have ran into either of them. Unless they know you, they couldn't care less who you are or what the hell you are doing there. Ive been snubbed multiple times by both of them at many events, including seeing them away from the activity. Ive tried introducing myself many times but they could care less. If your not an alum, forget it. I mean for gods sake even that creep Hopkins was nice enough to have a conversation with me. Madison hasnt done squat competeively in many years so there arrogance is even more baffling to me.

2. Show quality. Beaides last year, there shows all pretty much have the same vibe, the designs have been as good as exactly where they have placed. Its clear the BOD is content placing in the lower echelon of the top 14 or so corps. I don't see this changing anytime soon so ill support corps who are innovating and actually trying to write competitive shows. Watching Madison compete VS SCV last year at Drums on Parade was laughable. I honestly dont think Madison could ever be that good. It was like watching and NFL team taking on a High School team.

3.There identity. Ill just keep this one short, because i could go on and on but, if I as a current MM had to put on that uniform/costume/whatever, after dreaming for a lifetime of marching with Madison, im not sure if i could do it. Its asking an aweful lot for and all male corps (+1 female this year) to wear that debacle of a design. I mean, really who approved this? And how in any way can they think this was a good choice?

lastly, im in strong agreement that the upper management needs to go, and for sometime ive felt this way. Its clear its not working.  If this corps has any hope to carry on there strong tradition, they better do something about there direction or there will be another VK, Sky Riders, Star, Magic story for people to talk about.  

Well, i believe you have some valid points, i have not liked the direction in a bit now. They had a reprieve When Mason was with them those 3 years or so and then things, artistcally and musically took a nose dive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1