Madison Scouts 2018

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

To be fair to the board and admin, if they don't have the resources provided by their alums and supporters, there's not much they can do to fix the situation. Just being on the road in World Class costs $1m plus these days, 

For how many years?

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Is this what the Madison fans sounded like in 1989 when the corps dropped from 1st to 7th?

No. Granted there was no DCp or social media.

this has become the new Cadets thread pre-April 

• Like 2

excellent point re: Madison's survival and Cadet's -- both come down to fund raising from a very divided alumni base - Scouts have drifted further away from their tradition than the Cadets have - Cadets probably have more access to more affluent donors -- Scouts had better make an emergency course correction immediately - waiting until next off season for a complete leadership shake up will be too late --

Just like the political climate we are in right now, calls for change might be strident and passionate -- but ultimately bootless with out any action -- 

Current status quo is like the progressive leftist movement in our politics - 

Calls for change coming from the traditionalist wing are similar to the rise of the Trump movement -- people who are sick and tired of being told to shut up and get in line and let their betters run the show.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

No. Granted there was no DCp or social media.

this has become the new Cadets thread pre-April 

Flattery will get you everywhere.  Ha, ha.

(Actually, I too had the same feeling yesterday while reading this thread.)

I won't bother trying to reply to any old-heads complaining about concepts, costumes, or any other design things. I agree it's not the greatest, but I still find it a far superior design to the Blue Stars this year. And getting into arguments isn't worth wasting my breath anymore.

Same goes for arguing about the administration. Dann and Chris were great to me, and I have nothing but respect for them. Others obviously see them differently, and it's no use trying to argue with those people since, to them, the only people who can have an opinion on the Scouts are those who actually marched in a show with them. It's like arguing with an ancient brick wall.

So I leave with this: if you want to clean sweep the administration and BoD and start over, be my guest. BUT, be very careful. If you don't both 1) bring LOTS of money to the table to keep the corps going strong during the transition and 2) find the right people to run things (hint hint, bringing back folks from the past and trying to recreate the "old days" is NOT a recipe for success in modern drum corps), you will find the Scouts no longer fighting to make Finals with the Mandarins, Stars, and Crossmen, but struggling to even make the Thursday night Cinecast with the Troopers and Colts. And believe me, losing THAT exposure will truly tank recruitment.

It's time to put up or shut up. Be smart out there folks. Peace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rufus67 said:

Well, I expected this kind of reaction this morning from the Negative Nancies and got it. You all have a nice rest of the season as I'm done reading the vomitous bile you see fit to spew here on the DCP boards. I'll simply leave you with a couple of questions:

1. Has your complaining changed anything with the Scouts now or in the past?
  2. Does complaining make you feel any better?
  3. Do you think your complaining makes any reader feel better or more informed?

If you answered "No" to any of those questions I'd suggest you turn the mirror on yourself rather than the current administration, show designers, instructional staff, or marching members. I'm not talking about your "right" to complain, mind you, simply the efficacy of it.

Good day to you all and hope you find some peace.

“What you’re supposed to do when you don’t like a thing is change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it. Don’t complain.”  ― Maya Angelou

Oh, we’ll change things, alright. There’s a very motivated group of alums who aren’t going to take this nonsense anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

It may just be that not enough alarms care. In my opinion, the scouts alumni are split. Many of them want the scouts to remain the way they’ve always been and I also want to win championships. The other half wants to change in someway, and win championships.

Both size can’t help with the one without the other.

Unfortunately, the scouts are left With some “next year” concept that really has no chance to succeed because half the alumni are not committed.

Somehow, the Cavaliers found a way to rally around a new way of doing their thing. They still have people who don’t like the new stuff, but everybody wants the corps to remain relevant. I’m just not sure there are enough people in the scouts Malones who are willing to give up some of their “tradition” to complete.

Right now, the shows the scouts are putting on the field are either sensitive to tradition, nor sensitive to basic artistic relevance. Frankly, if they are going to struggle to make finals, I would rather they just put on their old green uniforms and do what they used to do and have their alarms be proud of the traditions. 

The scales are not the only corps dealing with this. It wait to be seen whether cadets will be able to find their new direction without pissing off half of their support base. They have made a lot of the same decisions scouts have made, with not all that different of a result.

You are wrong in so many levels and are blind to that fact.

• Like 1

Madison now 12 points behind the leaders and lost to SOA last night by 2 points. I guess the jumpsuit costumes, narration and abstract music aren’t the answers. This show, concept and costume stinks.

• Like 5