Madison Scouts 2018

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Let’s assume I agree with you that this isn’t working. You suggest wholesale board and administrative changes. 

Who do you suggest serve on the board?  Who do you suggest this board hire as Executive Director?  Who do you suggest this ED hire as program coordinator?

Demanding change is one thing. Having solutions is another. 

Who are are your proposed solutions to the problems faced by the Madison Scouts?

I believe I just gave you step one. By the way, it's the same step one Cadets just recently employed. 

58 minutes ago, DCI Nerd Alert said:

When did you march the Madison Scouts?

That's what you've got?  Haha as if. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Let's be honest. Every corps is a destination corps these days, with travel as cheap and easy as it is, and the national model for recruiting. For Scouts right now, the object shouldn't just be to recruit talented members, it should be to *keep* talented members. If you're not giving those members a real reason to stay, then you are a feeder corps.

Retention is incredibly important if you want to be a top or second tier corps. It's one step below the importance of a strong administration, and tied with design and teaching staff. Scouts aren't going to leap from the fourth tier to contender in one year. They need to build all facets of the organization and build slowly and methodically, like Crown and Bluecoats did.

I'm the brass caption head of a top-tier DCA corps that routinely sends kids to DCI for a couple years. Give me a reason to send my of-age members to Scouts. I've sent them to Devils, Crown, Bluecoats, Boston, Cadets...give me a reason to consider Scouts.

Well....it's hitting the easy button to go to an already successful top 6 corps.  That’s not stepping out of one’s comfort zone.  Would those corps be top 6 without your students?  Likely yes.  I would prefer they go help a corps get from 13 to 12...or 12 to 10, etc.  

12 minutes ago, Prsmpower4 said:

Well....it's hitting the easy button to go to an already successful top 6 corps.  That’s not stepping out of one’s comfort zone.  Would those corps be top 6 without your students?  Likely yes.  I would prefer they go help a corps get from 13 to 12...or 12 to 10, etc.  

You're not wrong. We've also sent kids to Crossmen (before and during the resurgence), Spirit of Atlanta, and other corps in that range. We have many that even do Jersey Surf (though obviously geography plays a part there). So again, give us a reason to suggest Scouts as an alternative.

4 hours ago, DCI Nerd Alert said:

The activity has changed.

Like it or not, what was considered "the best" in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s is no longer competitive - not "top 12" competitive.  The Scouts went back to their roots in 2010 - traditional uniforms with a familiar show. The crowd loved it; they got 10th place. They held on to the uniforms for a couple more years and presented familiar drill moves that were signature "Madison Scouts" ... they inched up in placements ... and they were told, "Your effect is dated." They did a Jesus Christ Superstar show in 2016 in a Madison Scouts uniform... look where it got them competitively. The adjudicators (the ones who decide who is 1st, 6th, 10th, 15th, 22nd) have chosen not to reward traditional shows or shows that have a sense of historic-ness about them.

Nobody in the top 12 is wearing traditional uniforms anymore. Not even The Cadets. The Scouts had to evolve with the activity.

They are taking risks and redefining their shows to be more modern. Risks are exactly that - risky. Innovation comes from risk. The same old thing wasn't working. 

2017's show was risky - some liked it and some didn't, but they gave it a shot. They are on year 2 of the risk-taking. Support them on this bold journey. There are plenty of reasons to be afraid. Evolving and redefining can be very scary. A life lived in fear is a life half lived.

Standing on the shoulders of giants who constantly shrug is not going to help the Madison Scouts of today or tomorrow. They need strong shoulders on which to stand.

I'd just like to say: for only 9/10 posts as a member here-YOU have earned my respect for quality/thoroughness of thought. Thought you deserve more than a "thumbs up". Carry on.

14 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I believe I just gave you step one. By the way, it's the same step one Cadets just recently employed. 

The primary difference is that The Cadets had a solution. What’s yours? You still haven’t answered the question. 

Edited by Volt
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Volt said:

Let’s assume I agree with you that this isn’t working. You suggest wholesale board and administrative changes. 

Who do you suggest serve on the board?  Who do you suggest this board hire as Executive Director?  Who do you suggest this ED hire as program coordinator?

Demanding change is one thing. Having solutions is another. 

Who are are your proposed solutions to the problems faced by the Madison Scouts?

The fundamental problem is financial, clearly. If the Scouts cannot be sustained by Madison, move!  Go somewhere where bingo is viable or Corp sponsors willing. I also marched in Madison Jr Scouts too bring it back. Bring in women, seriously bring in an invigorated board and change executive director. Sorry but my insiders say the executive director has a rubber stamp board. The shows have been abysmal since Jim Mason departed. The financial strategy seems heavy on alumni donations, is that how top Corp fund their operations? No not at all. The shows recently have neither been crowd pleasers nor judge pleasers. If the financial situation isn’t improved how many years will they endure? My insiders say the financials haven’t improved markedly since Komnick took over. I’m  seriously thinking of donating my money and changing my allegiance to Crown or SCV or Cavies or Phantom or.... there is a lot of exciting programs out there

Edited by brianella
  • Thanks 1

DCI is now, first and foremost, a show concept activity that accentuates a cohesive concept built around caption performances. It’s too easy to say let’s get out there and your “out there” is Mad Max. Heartbeat has a concept, but they don’t have the design or arrangements to be Blue Knights. It takes confidence and restraint to build a great show, whether it be a music concert, a stage performance, or drum corps. You don’t just run around the stage with whacky hair and call that a concept.

People can say what they wish, but Blue Devils themselves wouldn’t medal doing the Mad Max show. 

Scouts need to do what Bluecoats did. Look at what they are traditionally outstanding at, twist it, and run with that. Stop trying to be the ###### circus.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, brianella said:

The fundamental problem is financial, clearly. If the Scouts cannot be sustained by Madison, move!  Go somewhere where bingo is viable or Corp sponsors willing. I also marched in Madison Jr Scouts too bring it back. Bring in women, seriously bring in an invigorated board and change executive director. Sorry but my insiders say the executive director has a rubber stamp board. The shows have been abysmal since Jim Mason departed. The financial strategy seems heavy on alumni donations, is that how top Corp fund their operations? No not at all. The shows recently have neither been crowd pleasers nor judge pleasers. If the financial situation isn’t improved how many years will they endure? My insiders say the financials haven’t improved markedly since Komnick took over. I’m  seriously thinking of donating my money and changing my allegiance to Crown or SCV or Cavies or Phantom or.... there is a lot of exciting programs out there

From speaking to people I know,including former BoD members ,finances are a big issue.

I agree that relying on Alumni Donations as a primary funding source is not sound strategy.

To me,the Scouts should bring in an outsider,with budget/fundraising experience, and let them develop a long term plan to address the corps'  financial needs.

I don't agree going co-ed is a solution.

The Cavies don't seem to have an issue remaining all male.

If you're going to go co-ed,fold the corps and re-emerge as a new entity.

As far as loyalty,I have and continue to be a Scouts supporter.

Even if I'm not thrilled with a particular show,I donate for the corps members.

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Scouts need to do what Bluecoats did. Look at what they are traditionally outstanding at, twist it, and run with that. Stop trying to be the ###### circus.

This !

Even without conventional uniforms,give me something that says "Scouts".

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 2

I agree that the organization needs someone who has budget/financing experiencing.  I person who has grant writing experience would be great.  I think souvenir sales may have taken a dip recently since the shows haven't been fan-friendly.  I may be wrong here.

Now, back to the show!  What are some ideas that might help improve scores, such as re-staging the guard or percussion in certain areas, changing or editing a song, etc.