Madison Scouts 2018

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

It’s so much harder. That’s inarguable. You’re talking about recruiting three times as many potential members to fill the slots. And a lot of the guys are going to scouts no matter what. I just don’t see how they can continue the way they’re going much longer. I realize that going coed would be a huge risk.  But you can’t continue to dig your heels in and say, somehow we’re going to magically out recruit these world-class cores that are destined for contending for a metal because we have history on our side.

Kids today couldn’t care less about history. Most of the Madison alumni are old enough to be these kids grandparents now. I daresay most of these kids never step foot in a Boy Scout troop. Simply saying we have a rich history doesn’t mean squat to 90% of the best kids who want to compete at the highest level.Simply saying we have a rich history doesn’t mean squat to 90% of the best kids who want to compete at the highest level.

I totally agree My argument is , would it be any different with females, Most issues with people not getting the talent in of continual discourse and nothing to do with who comes to the corps BUT who is running it, organizing it, the vibe, the managerial success, the priorities,the mission, the staff etc etc. This issues if not right will not change who wants to be at a given corps.

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I totally agree My argument is , would it be any different with females, Most issues with people not getting the talent in of continual discourse and nothing to do with who comes to the corps BUT who is running it, organizing it, the vibe, the managerial success, the priorities,the mission, the staff etc etc. This issues if not right will not change who wants to be at a given corps.

But you are an all male group. You can’t pitch membership in an all-male group without pitching the benefits of an all male group. I don’t think kids see the benefits.

• Like 1

What Madison used to have was a unique and cool vibe being all male.  "The Mighty Men of Madison" and the often mentioned "Madison Mystique".  The way they played upon that unique identity with their look and their style.  People ate it up- even fairly recently when they weren't placing that well there was still an electricity in the air when they were on the field- the concession line was empty.  They have lost that identity, adding females takes them totally away from it with no hope to return.  Bottom line is medals or low placement, Scouts were just plain cool and entertaining playing upon their unique vibe.  I hope they can find it again, because old school Scout swagger will always be cool. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

But you are an all male group. You can’t pitch membership in an all-male group without pitching the benefits of an all male group. I don’t think kids see the benefits.

I think the pitch, so to speak is the uniqueness and or success of the group that draws. My point is IF there is a problem there and things  don't change from within,  nothing will be different with changing the makeup of membership. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a bit of a surprising chatter last night on Twitter about Madison. (Unfortunately/fortunately posts were taken down), but the main gist is that current MMs are starting to get a little frustrated and there is a small wave of tension has begun to spring up on tour the blame game (section X is bringing us down, etc...).  Also, there is some major disagreement between top staff and techs.  All sides accusing others of not listening.  It's for the best it's gone.

I think there is still A LOT of summer left and Madison might be able to make finals.  I do hope the MMs are having an enjoyable summer (tough, for sure, anyone who marched knows who hard it is) full of memories.   

9 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

There was a bit of a surprising chatter last night on Twitter about Madison. (Unfortunately/fortunately posts were taken down), but the main gist is that current MMs are starting to get a little frustrated and there is a small wave of tension has begun to spring up on tour the blame game (section X is bringing us down, etc...).  Also, there is some major disagreement between top staff and techs.  All sides accusing others of not listening.  It's for the best it's gone.

I think there is still A LOT of summer left and Madison might be able to make finals.  I do hope the MMs are having an enjoyable summer (tough, for sure, anyone who marched knows who hard it is) full of memories.   

While I like to think BAC had a surge at semi's in 2016, and could make that point even though I know some would argue otherwise, many folks with Madison credited internal strife making its way to marching members asto why Madison fell.  It is believed by some to be Spirit's problems in 2014. It is early but if thee are tensions, which apparently there are, something needs to happen fast.

20 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Also, there is some major disagreement between top staff and techs.  All sides accusing others of not listening.  It's for the best it's gone.

Whomever is saying get rid of that heinous joke of an elemetary art project prop has my support. THAT in itself is a huge embarassment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Tim K said:

While I like to think BAC had a surge at semi's in 2016, and could make that point even though I know some would argue otherwise, many folks with Madison credited internal strife making its way to marching members asto why Madison fell.  It is believed by some to be Spirit's problems in 2014. It is early but if thee are tensions, which apparently there are, something needs to happen fast.

Scouts are a proud organization and rightly so. The expectations there are different than most World Class corps. When your on the field product isn’t up to current World Class standards, you should expect there to be anger and strife midseason, because that’s when those things become painfully obvious.

The kids see the scores, they read the boards, they hear the chatter, and the see the empty lines at the souvenir booths. These are kids, not adults. They are going to react as any kid would.

While I don’t like it, the fact is that when you are succeeding on the field, people are happy. When you are struggling, people are unhappy. The kids and the parents put enormous trust in the leadership of these corps. When that leadership fails you, it hurts. The expectations in Madison are to be contenders, not fighting to the final weekend to make Finals. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Scouts are a proud organization and rightly so. The expectations there are different than most World Class corps. When your on the field product isn’t up to current World Class standards, you should expect there to be anger and strife midseason, because that’s when those things become painfully obvious.

The kids see the scores, they read the boards, they hear the chatter, and the see the empty lines at the souvenir booths. These are kids, not adults. They are going to react as any kid would.

While I don’t like it, the fact is that when you are succeeding on the field, people are happy. When you are struggling, people are unhappy. The kids and the parents put enormous trust in the leadership of these corps. When that leadership fails you, it hurts. The expectations in Madison are to be contenders, not fighting to the final weekend to make Finals. 

This! Nailed it.

I have been on both sides of the coin. I have marched a season where we won, and just kept getting better and better and passing up corps after corps as the season progressed. What happened? Morale was so high. Energy was so high. Rehearsals were more productive. Everyone was happy. Everyone loved rehearsals. Everyone loved getting better. Everyone loved being there. Every day.

Another season - the exact opposite. Show wasn't working well, getting passed up by other corps. What happened? Morale got lower and lower. Energy got lower. Rehearsals sucked and were less productive. No one was happy. No one wanted to be there. I just wanted the season to end and was so glad when it did.

It all ties together. Have crap on the field at the start of the season and you're screwed. And by crap I mean that ridiculous prop and those ridiculous costumes, because the music and drill is actually quite good.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 6:08 PM, Volt said:

Let’s assume I agree with you that this isn’t working. You suggest wholesale board and administrative changes. 

Who do you suggest serve on the board?  Who do you suggest this board hire as Executive Director?  Who do you suggest this ED hire as program coordinator?

Demanding change is one thing. Having solutions is another. 

Who are are your proposed solutions to the problems faced by the Madison Scouts?

How do you know that isn’t already being fleshed out, just not on here?

• Like 2