Madison Scouts 2018

9 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

How do you know that isn’t already being fleshed out, just not on here?

Shhhh

• Like 1

I am hoping for a nice increase in score by the Scouts since Mandarins, Spirit, and Academy seem to be making big gains lately.  In addition, Colts and Troopers are right on their heels.

Again all discussions that start with well then who would you pick... are futile if the financial situation is the same. It appears to me that we are a feeder corps for not only marching members but staff. The strategy of appealing to the loyalyy of former marching members and pay below market,  results in a transient staff too. If the exec director is making the artistic decisions even with a team, he must be backseated to a non creative or reduced creative roll and hand programming over to a proven creative director. I recall a Board member saying how proud they were that the NY Morning show cost a tenth of the rest of typical top 12 budget. First it seemed the wrong thing to be proud of and secondly, the low pay strategy is unworkable without the talents of Jim Mason. What happened to him!? With the current  financial and artistic structure the scouts are heading for a 14 to 17 ranking. Is it sustainable, the problem isn’t gender of members or even branding or old school vs new school, it is the viability of the organization. To be honest this program is the most watchable since N.Y. Morning or Band of Brothers, but I see institutional arrogance as a real barrier to success. 

Edited by brianella
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

The thing is, people buy souvenirs to tell people they love a certain corps. Their last two shows have been gaudy and weird. So they basically didn’t get either the traditional fan or the cool fan. The cool fan is buying BD and Bluecoats.

They could easily do some little things that wink to tradition, like always forming the Fleur de Lis somewhere in the show, or perhaps breaking out in part of their chorus. Those are the cookies that make them unique. But play your ##### off first, with a hard book, and then worry about style. Find a theme that you can get behind. Maybe it’s a merge between BK, Troppers and Coats.

I don’t know. But Bluecoats could have stuck with “tradition” and never sniffed a medal. They changed in a fun and tasteful way. In a cool way. Cadets, it waits to be seen how they will grow from their past. They will likely finish as low as they have in the last two decades this year. They have not found their voice yet.

I personally think Scouts needs to go coed. There is one Cavaliers and they have managed to pull themselves up. I don’t know that Scouts can do that in enough time as it would take to save the finances of the corps.

Going coed doesn't help the financial & poor show design situation. Most coed drum corps have not won a DCI championship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, brianella said:

Again all discussions that start with well then who would you pick... are futile if the financial situation is the same. It appears to me that we are a feeder corps for not only marching members but staff. The strategy of appealing to the loyalyy of former marching members and pay below market,  results in a transient staff too. If the exec director is making the artistic decisions even with a team, he must be backseated to a a none creative or reduced creative roll and hand programming over to a creative director with a proven artistic director. I recall a Board member saying how proud they were that the NY Morning show cost a tenth of the rest of typical top 12 budget. First it seemed the wrong thing to be proud of and secondly, the low pay strategy is unworkable without the talents of Jim Mason. What happened to him!? With the current  financial and artistic structure the scouts are heading for a 14 to 17 ranking. Is it sustainable, the problem isn’t gender of members or even branding or old school vs new school, it is the viability of the organization. To be honest this program is the most watchable since N.Y. Morning or Band of Brothers, but I see institutional arrogance as a real barrier to success. 

You want modern done right you call John Mapes and Ian Grom.  Give them full control of design and percussion.  Stop trying to rebuild the hornline by alumni with historical past and go out and get someone that has been on Crown Brass staff(look how Crossmen brass is doing) to revamp the horns. Find a Independent World guard staff that isnt affiliated with a corps yet to run the show.  I normally only read on here because it is interesting to see the views.  Most alumni say they arent doing modern right which is why Mapes and Grom would be the right pick.  They left DCI because of where they want to push the activity.

13 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

The thing is, people buy souvenirs to tell people they love a certain corps. Their last two shows have been gaudy and weird. So they basically didn’t get either the traditional fan or the cool fan. The cool fan is buying BD and Bluecoats.

They could easily do some little things that wink to tradition, like always forming the Fleur de Lis somewhere in the show, or perhaps breaking out in part of their chorus. Those are the cookies that make them unique. But play your ##### off first, with a hard book, and then worry about style. Find a theme that you can get behind. Maybe it’s a merge between BK, Troppers and Coats.

I don’t know. But Bluecoats could have stuck with “tradition” and never sniffed a medal. They changed in a fun and tasteful way. In a cool way. Cadets, it waits to be seen how they will grow from their past. They will likely finish as low as they have in the last two decades this year. They have not found their voice yet.

I personally think Scouts needs to go coed. There is one Cavaliers and they have managed to pull themselves up. I don’t know that Scouts can do that in enough time as it would take to save the finances of the corps.

Going coed is just shortsighted and naive. First of all, you offer 1 of only 2 unique experiences in DCI. Secondly, outside of the guard, many more males make up the membership of these corps than do females. Lastly, going back to the first point, why be one of dozens when you can be one of 2? And who is to say that that will be the difference? How many coed corps have folded over the years? Finances, not the gender of your members are the key to a successful organization.

1 hour ago, BigBadMadMan said:

How do you know that isn’t already being fleshed out, just not on here?

BigBadMadMan: How would I know?  I am responding to the various posts here on DCP that don't answer the questions I've asked.  And, either way, they are fair questions.

Who are the people that will save this corps?  Who are the leaders that you've identified as the ones to resurrect this proud organization?  What is your background that makes you qualified to make those decisions? 

From the outside looking in, it sure seems as if the Madison Scouts alumni -- or factions thereof -- may be part of the problem.  This banter on DCP and the veiled threats -- or, at the very least, innuendo -- about removing the board and leadership is interesting, to say the least.  If the corps is as fragile as some here proclaim, then it doesn't seem logical that the Scouts could survive another coups d'etat.  

But perhaps you have other insight you would be willing to share?  

1 minute ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Going coed is just shortsighted and naive. First of all, you offer 1 of only 2 unique experiences in DCI. Secondly, outside of the guard, many more males make up the membership of these corps than do females. Lastly, going back to the first point, why be one of dozens when you can be one of 2? And who is to say that that will be the difference? How many coed corps have folded over the years? Finances, not the gender of your members are the key to a successful organization.

You’re right. Just keep doing what you’ve been doing, it’s working great.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Volt said:

I see a lot of theoretical solutions being batted around.  You cannot honestly tell me that you think the current ED and admin team haven't already thought of these concepts, can you?

How about some names?

WHO would you hire as ED?

WHO would you bring as Board President?

WHO would you hire as artistic director/program coordinator?

Without REAL people, this is nothing but an exercise in being an armchair quarterback.

Yes, because no one is answering your questions on DCP, then clearly no one is working on all of this already. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1