Madison Scouts 2018

Madison alum page was taken down because many were being very vocal of their disproval and the admin felt it was becoming harmful.

I have been a long time writer for DCW, and have been going to shows since the early 1970’s.  

Madison has always been my favorite corps since 1973.  

I cannot make a judgement on the talent of the corps, but the show design is pretty bad.  With all of the talent of the Blue Devils, in my opinion, they would not be in the top 6 if they were marching the exact same show that Madison has.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I am just so sad at what is happening to Scouts and I am now fully on board with a full regime change. I have no personal issues with those in charge and they've been cordial to me as an alum. However, this thing is spiraling out of control and a change needs to be made. I equate it to a sports team...when you're getting your tail beat and not putting a quality product out their..the head coach, GM, AD, waterboy...all of em are out of a job.

Time for Scouts to clean house. Take a deep look at everything and right the ship. Because right now the ship is taking on water quicker than the Titanic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let's just all remember a few key elements

1) Members aren't in charge of design.  Not implying that any have implied they are, but just keeping that forefront of mind.

2) This is the first year of DCI for some of these members, while others have looked to Madison and finally landed a spot in what is their "Dream Corps".  Even if the design isn't there, at the end of the day, that isn't why these members march.  It's something much, much bigger.

3) Be proud of who Madison is, was, and will be.  The one thing I've learned about drum corps is that every corps has it's own pulse (ha!  See what I did there?), it's own life-blood.  The experience of the corps in any given year has to do with staff passion & relationship, leadership, alumni interaction, and marching member attitude.  A big thumbs up or pat on the back might do these members some good.  We certainly wouldn't be ridiculing them right now if they were the Cadets.  Different situation?  Yes, but don't they ALL need support.

I have much more to say, but will get off my soapbox and go back to doing what I love.  Listening, watching, and enjoying these amazing kids who are doing amazing things!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, swmstom said:

Madison alum page was taken down because many were being very vocal of their disproval and the admin felt it was becoming harmful.

That’s too bad. These kids are working their butts off.  Go direct to the leadership/board if you want to voice your objections...of which there are many.  The kids need to be backed up at this point.  I’m certain they hear and read all of this.   This isn’t on them...so go direct and keep it off of this site.  I’m also certain that leadership is aware of this and I’m hopeful they’ll get this corrected.   Or....they need to go.  

28 minutes ago, swmstom said:

Isn't an alumni page usually a closed group?  I think taking down a page like that is making a bad situation....worse.  

I remember the days when I marched and my corps had a great relationship with Madison...I enjoyed the camaraderie..and they were easily beating us at the time by a huge margin...I was a "fanboy" of the mad men...this is a sad day...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Isn't an alumni page usually a closed group?  I think taking down a page like that is making a bad situation....worse.  

It was not the official corps or alumni page (I'm not sure there is an official alumni page).  It was started by alums and, yes, it was closed.  I don't disagree with the mods for taking it down.  There are other forums for discussion

Madison's brass and percussion seem to be carrying the corps right now.  Perhaps if some re-staging the guard their scores will improve resulting in higher visual and general effect scores.