Madison Scouts 2018

if the house isn't completely cleaned this off season I will lose all hope in Madison ever succeeding. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m gonna say something crazy here.  DONT PANIC AND FIRE EVERYONE AFTER A BAD YEAR!!!!! First off Madison seems to do this swing out of finals every few years so that is alright.  The other thing to consider is how many corps have a bad year but then have a good year afterwards? It’s doable.  Heck even look at the colts many bad years recently and they have the same leadership and are now hopefully back on track.  Relax. 

On 7/6/2018 at 7:12 PM, swmstom said:

I am just so sad at what is happening to Scouts and I am now fully on board with a full regime change. I have no personal issues with those in charge and they've been cordial to me as an alum. However, this thing is spiraling out of control and a change needs to be made. I equate it to a sports team...when you're getting your tail beat and not putting a quality product out their..the head coach, GM, AD, waterboy...all of em are out of a job.

Time for Scouts to clean house. Take a deep look at everything and right the ship. Because right now the ship is taking on water quicker than the Titanic.

Yup. Fire everyone, This regime is a total failure.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

if the house isn't completely cleaned this off season I will lose all hope in Madison ever succeeding. 

Yup.

Edited by FlamMan

2 hours ago, splsionbudja said:

I’m gonna say something crazy here.  DONT PANIC AND FIRE EVERYONE AFTER A BAD YEAR!!!!! First off Madison seems to do this swing out of finals every few years so that is alright.  The other thing to consider is how many corps have a bad year but then have a good year afterwards? It’s doable.  Heck even look at the colts many bad years recently and they have the same leadership and are now hopefully back on track.  Relax. 

Just about every corps has had a bad show, but the question is whether the bad show is just a show that does not work, or is it a symptom of other problems? This year feels different than past years for Madison. Completely cleaning house is usually not the answer, but changes need to be made. The problem, how do you decide who stays, who goes, who decides on the replacements, and who will the replacements be? If you can’t get folks to talk, how can these decisions be made? Madison has lots of great folks, including staff, alums, board members, and fans, but it also has some holding the corps back.

What I would love to see is an advisory group to help Madison steer a new course. We see Spirit rebuilding, Blue Stars re-emerged, Crossmen almost went under years ago, Crown has had its moments, BAC has been strengthened, Blue Devils has had consistent leadership, Cadets is facing huge obstacles rather well. Talk to these groups. A think tank of best practices could help. It would not be giving away competitive strategy,  but it could help save Madison.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

Just about every corps has had a bad show, but the question is whether the bad show is just a show that does not work, or is it a symptom of other problems? This year feels different than past years for Madison. Completely cleaning house is usually not the answer, but changes need to be made. The problem, how do you decide who stays, who goes, who decides on the replacements, and who will the replacements be? If you can’t get folks to talk, how can these decisions be made? Madison has lots of great folks, including staff, alums, board members, and fans, but it also has some holding the corps back.

What I would love to see is an advisory group to help Madison steer a new course. We see Spirit rebuilding, Blue Stars re-emerged, Crossmen almost went under years ago, Crown has had its moments, BAC has been strengthened, Blue Devils has had consistent leadership, Cadets is facing huge obstacles rather well. Talk to these groups. A think tank of best practices could help. It would not be giving away competitive strategy,  but it could help save Madison.

The underlying assumption in this prescription is the "patient(s)" wants help and will use it. 

Edited by madisonsmiley
Clarification
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Yup. Fire everyone, This regime is a total failure,

I suppose that’s an opinion, but it is a highly misguided opinion. There’s no doubt, the corps is struggling. It doesn’t look good. However, Dann and Chris have had a hugely positive impact on my (and hundreds of other young men’s) lives. That in itself is a tremendous accolade. Even if there is a call to remove the current leadership and go in a new direction, their contributions should not go unappreciated.  That said though, the corps just released a plan for the future success of the corps during his last offseason. From what I’ve seen and what I understand from talking with people in the know, it looks good. For those of us that aren’t attending meetings and are here complaining on forums rather than getting involved and contributing, we might not know all the information necessary to call this a failure and abort so early into their current plans. I’m not particularly happy with the corps’ immediate success either, but to call for firing without being active in the corps is a big mistake as well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tim K said:

Bad used to be 8th place

• Like 2

Am I the only person that thinks a certain number of Scouts fans and alumni live in this fantasy world that think their corps was and is the face of the activity? Refresh me, how many world titles have the Madison Scouts won? To be perfectly honest, the Madison Scouts have mostly been a middle of the top 12 corps in their prime. They would kick a** at the beginning of the season and peak at DCM. They had their heyday in the '70s and the '80s; but even then, they weren't even close to challenging for a world title. And all this talk about "Superman" suits...for real? The Madison Scouts have become nothing more than a caricature of what they used to be; still believing that '94, '95, and '96 are the greatest shows ever, even in the activity. Can the Madison Scouts remain all male and be successful? Of course they can! The Cavaliers are doing just fine. What's the difference? The Cavaliers have evolved with the activity with great show design, great themes, and instructors and design teams that were consistently looking for something new. The reality is that the Scouts are stuck in time and have gotten in such a rut that it's going to take quite a bit to get them out. The talent that folks say the corps needs to climb the ranks will return once those at the top get in touch with reality. 

• Thanks 7

1 minute ago, corps8294 said:

Am I the only person that thinks a certain number of Scouts fans and alumni live in this fantasy world that think their corps was and is the face of the activity? Refresh me, how many world titles have the Madison Scouts won? To be perfectly honest, the Madison Scouts have mostly been a middle of the top 12 corps in their prime. They would kick a** at the beginning of the season and peak at DCM. They had their heyday in the '70s and the '80s; but even then, they weren't even close to challenging for a world title. And all this talk about "Superman" suits...for real? The Madison Scouts have become nothing more than a caricature of what they used to be; still believing that '94, '95, and '96 are the greatest shows ever, even in the activity. Can the Madison Scouts remain all male and be successful? Of course they can! The Cavaliers are doing just fine. What's the difference? The Cavaliers have evolved with the activity with great show design, great themes, and instructors and design teams that were consistently looking for something new. The reality is that the Scouts are stuck in time and have gotten in such a rut that it's going to take quite a bit to get them out. The talent that folks say the corps needs to climb the ranks will return once those at the top get in touch with reality. 

Probably the best post in this whole thread

• Like 1