Madison Scouts 2018

Any corps that might be having a tough year will still work hard and stay positive.  They don't want to lose potential mm for next year and beyond.  Trying to hang on to current mm is a whole other issue if behind the scenes the corps is struggling.  Most mm within DCI are aware of DCP and any cat fights on the Scouts thread doesn't help the corps situation.

Edited by Ghost

19 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Does anyone have direct knowledge of how morale is in the corps?  The things I have heard have not been good, but I’m taking what I’ve heard with A LOT of salt.   

I do know that some current MMs have told their family to sell their finals tickets and/or not to come.  

If you heard directly from marching members they have told family members not to go to finals, or you've heard it from a parent, you've heard it from a reliable source, but I also know that on certain sites, Facebook being most notorious, people are claiming to be hearing things from marching members that may be exaggerated or out and out false. To use a non-Madison example, a woman on Facebook posted a comment about how sorry she feels for the kids in Cadets having to wear "hideous" uniforms they "hate" and they want to quit. She heard this from "many" members. Later that day I saw Cadets in a parade in Wakefield, MA. I had the opportunity to talk to some marching members, no more than five, but "many" is a matter of opinion, usually more than three, but I asked how they enjoyed wearing "black" on a hot day (it was 95 degrees), not a complaint. I think if they really hated their uniforms, a sympathetic drum corps fan would be a likely confidant, but Cadets is a "never speak ill of the corps while you're marching" corps and that's why I didn't hear complaints about the uniform, and most likely the FB poster didn't either. 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

HE LITERALLY SAID HE WANTED THE DRESS TO BE 

M
O
R
E

A
T
T
R
A
C
T
I
V
E

!

NOTHING about her, NOTHING about her playing, NOTHING about how she fits in the show. He wanted her to be MORE ATTRACTIVE. At why else would you make something more attractive than to derive more pleasure for audience members?

THAT is objectification, and that is the kind of crap that needs to go away quickly, lest the next Hopkins continues to prey on victims without consequence.

The original post:

On 7/7/2018 at 4:54 PM, tedrick said:

If Madison were out there on the field doing this year's show in their normal uni and had their soloists in an ATTRACTIVE costume, they would be beating Blue Stars and Phantom right now.

The original post is just silly. If they looked more like the Madison Scouts, but had the same show, they would be beating... Obviously, that's not the problem. And the soloists -- that's plural, so a couple guys and the one girl -- should wear an attractive costume. That could mean a zillion different things, but the deeply offended MotoSurfBass knows exactly what Tedrick had in mind and pontificates on all the potentially dire consequences for society.  Maybe put the young woman in a skimpy bikini like VK did in their 1989 show? Um, probably not.  Maybe Tedrick simply meant a costume that somewhat resembles the Scout's most recent "traditional" uniform, such as 2016. I wish he would enlighten us and resolve this perplexing controversy :innocent:

Edited by WarriorHal

On 7/7/2018 at 2:26 PM, Cappybara said:

Probably the best post in this whole thread

Probably the majority of unrest is coming from the 70's-90's veterans who apart from the two world championships were never that far out of the running.  Personally, I don't care if some non alumni doesn't like the idea of superman suits because it wasn't meant for you...ever.  Every corps has its own tradition and way of characterizing itself.  That was ours, it was our way of saying to ourselves when we suit up we are heroes.  Don't know what your group did, but I am fairly certain others from outside your group may have found fault with it.

Madison is down now and real concerns are being felt about what needs to be done.  But truly I am not really interested in some non alumnus coming along and tossing salt on the wound.

There have been precisely 9 corps in the 45 yr history of DCI who have been champions, Madison did it twice.  We cant help it some one with an axe to grind doesnt like Madison's long time status of being one the favored corps in DCI even when they're down.

There's plenty of constructive criticism for the Scouts right now, why some resort to envious bullsh*t is beyond me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scerpella said:

Probably the majority of unrest is coming from the 70's-90's veterans who apart from the two world championships were never that far out of the running.  Personally, I don't care if some non alumni doesn't like the idea of superman suits because it wasn't meant for you...ever.  Every corps has its own tradition and way of characterizing itself.  That was ours, it was our way of saying to ourselves when we suit up we are heroes.  Don't know what your group did, but I am fairly certain others from outside your group may have found fault with it.

Madison is down now and real concerns are being felt about what needs to be done.  But truly I am not really interested in some non alumnus coming along and tossing salt on the wound.

There have been precisely 9 corps in the 45 yr history of DCI who have been champions, Madison did it twice.  We cant help it some one with an axe to grind doesnt like Madison's long time status of being one the favored corps in DCI even when they're down.

There's plenty of constructive criticism for the Scouts right now, why some resort to envious bullsh*t is beyond me.

Preach. How many corps have more championships than the Madison Scouts?  Four.   That puts Scouts in some pretty elite company. 

16 hours ago, Scerpella said:

That's a really long way to say "H8rs Gonna H8."

Mike

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tim K said:

If you heard directly from marching members they have told family members not to go to finals, or you've heard it from a parent, you've heard it from a reliable source, but I also know that on certain sites, Facebook being most notorious, people are claiming to be hearing things from marching members that may be exaggerated or out and out false. To use a non-Madison example, a woman on Facebook posted a comment about how sorry she feels for the kids in Cadets having to wear "hideous" uniforms they "hate" and they want to quit. She heard this from "many" members. Later that day I saw Cadets in a parade in Wakefield, MA. I had the opportunity to talk to some marching members, no more than five, but "many" is a matter of opinion, usually more than three, but I asked how they enjoyed wearing "black" on a hot day (it was 95 degrees), not a complaint. I think if they really hated their uniforms, a sympathetic drum corps fan would be a likely confidant, but Cadets is a "never speak ill of the corps while you're marching" corps and that's why I didn't hear complaints about the uniform, and most likely the FB poster didn't either. 

Exactly. Unless you hear something directly form the horses mouth then you've heard nothing. I doubt any members of any corps would quit during the season. 

On 7/7/2018 at 5:05 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve heard that those have been banned on here. :peek:

no it's what opinions are like that get banned.

oh wait have both and i'm still here

On 7/7/2018 at 7:24 PM, Mad75 said:

And, THIS is a typical "triggered" modern day knee-jerk PC response!  You're making quite a leap in determining the heart of this individuals comment.  But, I guess this is where we're at.

I honestly don't see whats wrong with her outfit. She doesnt need to show skin

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I honestly don't see whats wrong with her outfit. She doesnt need to show skin

I agree as well,  I didn't like it when she was in pink, but the White works well.  The only other thing they could do the "might" work, is put her in the same costume as the rest of the brass, just in white.  No, I don't think that would work with the current brass outfits.