Madison Scouts 2018

1 hour ago, brianella said:

You imply this storm would go away if they performed better and give a nod to the most memorable shows are scout shows. It is the creative design. these shows have no soul. Last show I watched, I saw polite clapping 4 times. When was the last time they got a standing ovation, 2015 probably. No the problem is not simple performance. I also believe, talking to former staff, that there is an unhealthy environment in the leadership which is leading to these shows. Since Jim Mason left the shows have been amateurish. I believe there is a fear that change isn’t coming to the corps. As this debate has dragged on for 4 years now, I am afraid the corps is on a course to fold.....

In Indy I sit in a section which has many people connected with Scouts, some very actively involved. In 2016 they believed they were robbed a place in finals. Try bring a BAC fan in that crowd and I can’t disguise it. I have a thick Boston accent and the map of Ireland is written all over my face. However, Madison got a huge reception and a standing ovation. In 2017 these same folks gave Madison a warm reception and a standing ovation. In Lawrence, MA last summer they got a huge reception from folks who probably did not like the uniforms and would not have complained if “Maleguena” was part of the show. People outside the corps still support Madison. Those inside who love Madison are all over the place. The problem is those outside the corps may buy a souvenir or throw a few bucks into the collection bin for gas money. If those closer to the corps are not giving, that’s critical.

1 hour ago, brianella said:

You imply this storm would go away if they performed better and give a nod to the most memorable shows are scout shows. It is the creative design. these shows have no soul. Last show I watched, I saw polite clapping 4 times. When was the last time they got a standing ovation, 2015 probably. No the problem is not simple performance. I also believe, talking to former staff, that there is an unhealthy environment in the leadership which is leading to these shows. Since Jim Mason left the shows have been amateurish. I believe there is a fear that change isn’t coming to the corps. As this debate has dragged on for 4 years now, I am afraid the corps is on a course to fold.....

In any organization, results are a direct reflection of leadership, either good or bad. This regime is a huge failure and doesn’t deserve to return. 

Make Madison Great Again!

john

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I fully understand and appreciate the importance of brands, and the Scouts brand. At the same time, you don’t honor history by being irrelevant today. You have to change with the times. This activity is nothing like what it was  even a decade ago, let,alone three. 

It seems there is a very sizable contingent of Scouts alums who will never, not ever, let go of being an all male corps. They would literally rather finish 16th than change. Unfortunately it seems these alums also do not donate much money to Scouts, so you have the worst of both worlds.

Being a Vanderbilt fan, its the same as Vandy football. They believe they deserve to compete in the Sec, but yet refuse to put the resources in to compete with the other members. They continue to finish at or near the bottom every year, and make the excuse of being a small School that cares about academics. And they keep cashing that fat SEC check, while overpromising and underdelivering to it’s fans every single year. They want to have their cake and eat it too. 

There are many challenges that Scouts have failed to meet. Show design is one of them. But when you can’t recruit anyone but teenagers it’s impossible to put high danger shows on the field. When you finish outside of finals, it’s almost impossible to raise funds. And so long as a huge contingent of its “supporters” both refuse to support change and refuse to donate enough money to stay afloat, nothing can change. No one can empirically prove that becoming a coed corps would help or hurt their standings and viability. There are plenty of coed corps that are not competitive. Personally, I would hope that they could return to relevance as the Scouts. But I would rather thy return to relevance, period, than be subjected to misery.

since you have ignored every time i have said this before, maybe you will answer me this time:

what guarantee does going co-ed have for success? The Cavaliers are still all male, and yes they had a few down years for them recently, but it hasnt slowed them down. design hurt them, not talent or being one gender. going co-ed could if anything actually do MORE damage to the Scouts than staying all male. Phantom has had far more years with an all female guard and doing well than they had years with a co-ed guard....sure they changed again, but that probably had to do more with staff desires than gender integration.

So, why the hard core push to go co-ed when in all reality, it could literally DESTROY the organization?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brianella said:

Jim Mason and full artistic control all I got to say

The last time that happened, 2014 happened and kicked this whole kerfluffle into high gear.

5 hours ago, brianella said:

Jim Mason and full artistic control all I got to say

Personally, I think this would be great for the Scouts.

But,a few pages back, Mr.Mason posted that he's currently working on the next edition of BLAST.

So I don't know, even if he was interested,when he'd be available.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

since you have ignored every time i have said this before, maybe you will answer me this time:

what guarantee does going co-ed have for success? The Cavaliers are still all male, and yes they had a few down years for them recently, but it hasnt slowed them down. design hurt them, not talent or being one gender. going co-ed could if anything actually do MORE damage to the Scouts than staying all male. Phantom has had far more years with an all female guard and doing well than they had years with a co-ed guard....sure they changed again, but that probably had to do more with staff desires than gender integration.

So, why the hard core push to go co-ed when in all reality, it could literally DESTROY the organization?

No one can empirically prove that becoming a coed corps would help or hurt their standings and viability. There are plenty of coed corps that are not competitive.”

33 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Personally, I think this would be great for the Scouts.

But,a few pages back, Mr.Mason posted that he's currently working on the next edition of BLAST.

So I don't know, even if he was interested,when he'd be available.

Jim worked on a few different productions of BLAST! during his last stint with the Scouts so I doubt that would be an issue. "Even if he was interested" would be the big question.

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

In Indy I sit in a section which has many people connected with Scouts, some very actively involved. In 2016 they believed they were robbed a place in finals. Try bring a BAC fan in that crowd and I can’t disguise it. I have a thick Boston accent and the map of Ireland is written all over my face. However, Madison got a huge reception and a standing ovation. In 2017 these same folks gave Madison a warm reception and a standing ovation. In Lawrence, MA last summer they got a huge reception from folks who probably did not like the uniforms and would not have complained if “Maleguena” was part of the show. People outside the corps still support Madison. Those inside who love Madison are all over the place. The problem is those outside the corps may buy a souvenir or throw a few bucks into the collection bin for gas money. If those closer to the corps are not giving, that’s critical.

39 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

No one can empirically prove that becoming a coed corps would help or hurt their standings and viability. There are plenty of coed corps that are not competitive.”

40 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Seriously can u prove that remaining all male will prevent them from folding. They are on a tragectory to fail or fold and they are all male, i don’t feel too passionate about it, but it would allow thematic options closed to them. Ie no more dancing with cardboard cut outs.

but I would prefer a James Mason making these decisions, I would follow his leadership. Maybe move the corps if Madison can’t support them.... 

Just now, brianella said:

Seriously can u prove that remaining all male will prevent them from folding. They are on a tragectory to fail or fold and they are all male, i don’t feel too passionate about it, but it would allow thematic options closed to them. Ie no more dancing with cardboard cut outs.

but I would prefer a James Mason making these decisions, I would follow his leadership. Maybe move the corps if Madison can’t support them.... 

Oh did I mention James Mason.......