Madison Scouts 2018

24 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Just wondering, in your view, what would be "a legitimate reason" for Madison "to even enter into the coed conversation"?

Sorry, really not wanting to be rude, for I do respect your comments.  But, I presently have no motivation to pontificate on what I view as an irrelevant hypothetical waste of energy.  If and when the topic becomes something "real"...Than, let's talk.  Cheers!

9 hours ago, FlamMan said:

In any organization, results are a direct reflection of leadership, either good or bad. This regime is a huge failure and doesn’t deserve to return. 

Make Madison Great Again!

john

Agreed, I think yet he increased fury is a direct result of the arrogance of the current regime, board included. 

2 minutes ago, Mad75 said:

Sorry, really not wanting to be rude, for I do respect your comments.  But, I presently have no motivation to pontificate on what I view as an irrelevant hypothetical waste of energy.  If and when the topic becomes something "real"...Than, let's talk.  Cheers!

The topic is not only real, but a recent survey of the 2016 Madison Scouts indicated 60%+ support of a hypothetical co-ed decision. This generation of Scouts apparently likes electronics, too!

10 hours ago, Madcityscout said:

Mike Rapp you could not have said it any more plain than this!!! As a scout alum myself I would rather see this corps change and evolve with the activity and stay relevant, rather than become at some point become non existent. I marched in the Scouts in the mid 80s and if I want to see what it was in the past, I simply pop in the DVD. But as for young performers these days, the question is “what have you done lately?’ It’s not “what were you back then”? I’ve said this years ago that the Scouts should have been evolving with other corps such as the Cavaliers, instead of just wanting to “please the crowd”. Say what you to say about BD, but having the opportunity to look at various organizations now in the activity objectively, I agree with their philosophy. It is to pursue championships. Because winning takes care of a lot of ills.

I also don’t want to see the ‘70s – ’90 type shows on the field.  Its like watching a ‘70s animated movie that everyone thought was cutting edge at the time but looks silly when compared to today’s CGI.   I like so much of today’s style that I don’t want to see any corps go back to the ‘70s – ‘90s.  I would get rid of singing, narration and the guard girl running across the field worshiping a helmet.

My opinion of last year’s show/uniform was that it was an attempt to start to break a mold.  They didn’t play it safe with the uniform, yet the Scouts brand was clearly represented in so many aspects.  I did wonder if the MMs liked the uniform or couldn’t wait for the year to be over.  Did it help or hurt recruiting for 2018?

Question for recent age-outs or age-eligible potential MMs.  Assume you are in an open class corps today and want to go to a world class corps.  You know it is unlikely that you will make a top tier corps so you are going to do a year or two with another corps first.  What would need to happen for you to consider Scouts?  Does this year’s show/costume impact your decision at all? 

At what point in the pre-season do the MMs get an idea of the what the uniform for the year will look like?  Would you want to have a general idea of the show/uniform before try-outs were done for the year?  Scouts certainly aren’t the only corps with uniforms this year that probably made members go OMG when they found out what they would be wearing this summer and questioned whether they should have tried out for a different corps.

Would Scouts need to announce their 2019 show before tryouts to entice MMs?  I thought they announced Corps of Brothers immediately after finals so it isn’t unheard of.  The problem would be if management turns over and getting new management in place to get these decisions made – unless that is already in the works. 

I really don’t care if Scouts is a feeder corps while rebuilding – I just want the Scouts to survive and go back to making me jump out of my seat cheering.

Scouts shouldn’t be concerned about copying someone else for a while as they re-establish their identity.  To me Bloo’s 2018 uniforms are Scout’s 2011 guard uniforms.  So, in my world, Bloo copied Scouts.

2 hours ago, Mad75 said:

"Slaps and shakes own head"...Who's dying on a hill called "all-male" when there isn't one that exists!  That's the point, you've created a false flag!  Until there exists a legitimate reason for Madison to even enter into the coed conversation, they've got some huge elephants living in the room that have gone unaddressed for years...I.E, incapable leadership.  For now, Madison going coed is a false narrative that should be aggressively rejected...There's no reason to do otherwise.

I think it became a hill once the directors of the Madison Scouts decided it is one 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chadwick_michael said:

The topic is not only real, but a recent survey of the 2016 Madison Scouts indicated 60%+ support of a hypothetical co-ed decision. This generation of Scouts apparently likes electronics, too!

Wow im quite amazed by this.

The one part of this survey that really jumps out to me is the ranking of things that they find important in a DCI corps. 

Family culture is on top with 82%%, show design is around 81%, tradition is all the way down at 56%. Interesting. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Wow im quite amazed by this.

The one part of this survey that really jumps out to me is the ranking of things that they find important in a DCI corps. 

Family culture is on top with 82%%, show design is around 81%, tradition is all the way down at 56%. Interesting. 

I would guess that “tradition” is far more relevant to Scouts, even at just 56%. If tradition were ranked at, say, Blue Knights or even Bluecoats, I’d bet that would be at best half that, and probably even less. The question isn’t really why current members chose to march Scouts, but rather why other marchers went somewhere else. Because clearly that is happening a lot now. It’s sad. I remember watching Scouts in the 80s and thinking what a total rush it must be to march with them. But today, I’d kill to march with Bluecoats—which to me has sort of become the modern version of Scouts at least in terms of how they use and stage instrumentation.

46 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Tradition is all the way down at 56%. Interesting. 

This should tell you all you need to know about why "THEM AIN'T UNIFORMS THEM'S COSTUMES" is a non-issue to current Drum Corps.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I would guess that “tradition” is far more relevant to Scouts, even at just 56%. If tradition were ranked at, say, Blue Knights or even Bluecoats, I’d bet that would be at best half that, and probably even less. The question isn’t really why current members chose to march Scouts, but rather why other marchers went somewhere else. Because clearly that is happening a lot now. It’s sad. I remember watching Scouts in the 80s and thinking what a total rush it must be to march with them. But today, I’d kill to march with Bluecoats—which to me has sort of become the modern version of Scouts at least in terms of how they use and stage instrumentation.

Are there that many leaving to other corps? Look again at the poll, most people who left the corps did so because they aged out or because they decided not to march DCI the year after. Only 10 people out of 114 who responded to the poll said that they left for another corps 

28 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Are there that many leaving to other corps? Look again at the poll, most people who left the corps did so because they aged out or because they decided not to march DCI the year after. Only 10 people out of 114 who responded to the poll said that they left for another corps 

Not what I said. I asked why aren’t more kids choosing to march Scouts?